Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you were to go skiing in Scotland on Monday...

Poster: A snowHead
...Where would you go?

Driving from Aberdeen for the day, so West Coast is out. My mate mentioned the Lecht looking good (and another mate had pow photos on facebook from there the other day). Been to Glen Shee once... was alright.

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, Glenshee by far the easiest to reach for you and gives you more options than the Lecht.

If you have any touring gear, the options are even better still.

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aviemore or Glenshee, both have loads of snow at the moment, there can be a difference in weather so go where ever has clearer skies and better temps.

I'm at Aviemore with friends all next week so give us a shout if your looking for someone to ski with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glenshee, never been there, want to go this season and the snow is good - in fact ...

Would then grab a couple more days and go to Glencoe and then to Aviemore snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glenshee if conditions are as good as aviemore. Have not skied cairngorm in anything other than whiteout so haven't fully skied the area but glenshee given the right conditions is ace
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, don't waste your time with the lecht.

Go to Cairngorms...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers, Glen Shee it is!!

Samerberg Sue, I'll have touring kit, but I'll be with my sister and flatmate who don't (and he isn't a great skier), any recommendations for short hikes to relatively mellow terrain?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah so it wasn't all that great lol. The sign 'beware of unmarked streams on the pistes' said it all! Pistes were the wrong sort of slush, like the water had been compressed to the bottom and so was really sticky. combined with massive wind (lots of lifts shut), the were points where I literally was being blown back up the hill even on steep slopes lol. Pretty funny.

The drags up to the top of Carn Aosda were closed, but I hiked up with my sister and skied off the side down to the road. We found some excellent spring corn in the slightly sheltered mini-gully things, but what with rock/heather/stream dodging there wasn't really enough room to open up the taps. The bowl behind, away from the lifts, looked to have some good potential, but by the time I noticed it we had to head back to Aberdeen so I could get to work on time. I think with a bit of effort to get away from the groomed/tracked slopes, you can find fun snow on most aspects depending on the time of day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooops, yeah Glenshe does look to have suffered really badly in the thaw Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALways seems to be the case with Glenshee. I tend to avoid it now although I have had the odd good day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scotia, yeah I've noticed this too although to be fair Nevis seems to suffer badly too given the direction the front of the mountain faces - it certainly has these last few days.

At the moment the best places look to be Cairngorm (still top to bottom) and Glencoe where the upper mountain is still looking very good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were at Glenshee on Tuesday and there was still loads of snow on Glas Maol althoughit was weirdly sticky as well. Coire Fionn seemed to be skiing best.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf, would a visit there still be worth it then?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf, Aye, they shut the lift up to Glas Maol about an hour after we arrived. Snow was weird in the bowl (skiers right looking down form the top, not the nature reserve 'out of bounds' one) - reasonably steep but even pointing straight down it I barely got above walking pace, the wind was incredible!!

roga, Plenty of fun looking stuff if you're willing to hike, unfortunately I was the only one with touring and avi gear so couldn't go play.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like it's best to stick with Cairngorm and Glencoe to be honest - plenty to hike/skin up to from the Ptarmigan and Glencoe has some good stuff on the upper mountain.
latest report
Probaby - Glen Shee's the only place I've skied up here (assuming skiing to work through Aberdeen doesn't count wink ) I'm gonna have to make an effort to get to Cairngorm sometime soon, Alladin's looks a lot of fun. If I make the trip over to the West I'd be more inclined to take my kayak, unless Glen Coe/Nevis has much better terrain than the others?
ski holidays
clarky999, if there's snow Nevis Range is the best IMO. Check out HighRustler's pics on Winterhighland.

This is one of mine from last season...

And this is a photo of the available terrain in the back corries

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/photostrs/easyspikes/pano1.jpg from haggistrap.co.uk

My photo is somewhere at th every top of CHancer
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Probaby - Glen Shee's the only place I've skied up here (assuming skiing to work through Aberdeen doesn't count wink ) I'm gonna have to make an effort to get to Cairngorm sometime soon, Alladin's looks a lot of fun. If I make the trip over to the West I'd be more inclined to take my kayak, unless Glen Coe/Nevis has much better terrain than the others?

Agree with scotia, East to West is like cheese to chalk. Although they both offer long steady gradients and are very enjoyable, as far as I know there is nothing really exhilarating or challenging served by the ski lifts at Cairngorm or Glenshee. Nevis & Glencoe however both offer steep and remote feeling runs on terrain with enough exposure to get the heart rate up before you make your first turn. Very Happy

Here's a photo I took on Saturday from the Climber's Col at Nevis Range looking back up to the Chancer entrance to the back coires. Depending on snow cover, there can be runs either side to choose from there ...

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy