Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I get to Madesimo

Poster: A snowHead
A friend has won a trip to Madesimo (Italy) next Feburary, flights, transfers and accommodation (lucky git) and would like a group of us to join her there during the same week.

Hurray I hear you say. The catch is that she lives on the Mainland and will be flying from Gatwick to Bergramo and transfering on to Madesimo.

I and the rest of the party however live in Northern Ireland and I cannot seem to find any deals to Madesimo from Belfast or Dublin.

Inghams.ie do fly out of Dublin to Bergramo and Inghams.co.uk do go from Bergamo to Madesimo, but they do not do any packages from Ireland to Madesimo - i.e. the transfers bit is missing (I hope that made sense)

We could fly sleazyjet etc to Gatwick and join the others there, but there is no guarantee that the connecting flight would go on time and it would put another day on our journey (plus the extra expense) and the Gatwick flights probably go at stupid-oclock in the morning.

So essentially my question is:
Does anyone know of a tour operator doing deals from Ireland / N.Ireland to Madesimo or is it do-it-yourselfable

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-07-05 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
Brian Barrett, Ryanair go to Bergamo although they call it Milan. rolling eyes From their site, the only direct flight from Ireland is Shannon. You might be able to conenct through somewhere in the UK though ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brian,

I believe Topflight are doing a direct Flight from Belfast to Bergamo. Resorts included are Livigno, Passo Tonale and Madonna di Campiglio.

Is Madessimo near Madonna????
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Johnboy do you have the website address for topflight please?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brian,

Mrs Johnboy has just informed me that you can fly BFS-BGY with panoramma for £100 ish. Sounds OK

Glynis, will find out
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.topflight.ie/
simple really..... Google wins again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brian Barrett, I've been to Madesimo a few times but all DIY. It is not a large resort so unlikely to be many operators going there. Not near Madonna.

We flew to Bergamo and hired a car. The resort is above lake Como and about two hours away from Bergamo. The nearest airport is probably Malpensa but plenty of cheap flights to Bergamo.

If you decide to go DIY I can give you the sites that I used for flights/car hire/hotel, plus a route plan. Make sure you do the Canalone, and don't wait until the end of the week as it is often shut in bad weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for that johnboy.

I tried the Panorama site, It does fly to Bergamo, but it dosn't seem to be giving me the option to book any flights for the week I want Feb 12th - 19th

Inghams don't seem to do 'flights only' from Dublin either

I'll keep looking I guess - may have to go to London day before and what not

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 2-08-05 13:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just had another look at Inghams UK site.

They do now fly from Belfast to Bergamo and from there to Madesimo - Hurray I hear you say - problem solved, however, not for the week in question!!! Mad

They must only have put the Belfast flight on lately as I looked 2 weeks ago and Belfast was not in the departures list then.
Panorama and mytravel are also listing the same weekly flight (thought not Madesimo), but again not for that week

I'm guessing that this is mid-term on the mainland or something and has either been booked up very quickly or the plane is too busy shifting mainlanders to go to Belfast.

Darn & drat Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aer Lingus also do flights from Dublin to Bergamo (Milan Orio they call it) - looks a little pricey for the exact days you're looking for though - keep up the hunt - as one who always gets lumbered with sorting out the group skiing options, i know how you feel Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cymru am Byth wrote:
Brian Barrett, I've been to Madesimo a few times but all DIY. It is not a large resort so unlikely to be many operators going there. Not near Madonna.

We flew to Bergamo and hired a car. The resort is above lake Como and about two hours away from Bergamo. The nearest airport is probably Malpensa but plenty of cheap flights to Bergamo.

If you decide to go DIY I can give you the sites that I used for flights/car hire/hotel, plus a route plan. Make sure you do the Canalone, and don't wait until the end of the week as it is often shut in bad weather.

No, Milano Malpensa international airport is far to the west, on the border with Piedmont.
Transfer time from there to Madesimo will be longer (especially if you come in during morning/evening rush hours)
since the motorways (especially the W/E part) around Milan are often congestionated by the traffic.
If you have to land somewhere which is not Bergamo (like many said it's also called Milan Orio) then try to find a flight to Milano Linate (which is right beside the N/S headed motorway, also called Tangenziale Est) take the motorway headed North (Lecco/Venice).
I live 20 km south of lecco and it takes 1.5-2 hrs to reach Madesimo from where I live.
I work in Milan, near Linate airport, and to reach home I've a 25-30 minutes drive, NOT at rush hour, there it can take up to 1.5 hrs...
Bergamo to Lecco is 40-50 km (depends if the drives occours via the motorway or normal roads...)
Madonna (di Campiglio) is in Trentino, not in lombardy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for the advice

Got it all sorted - DIY Very Happy

£215 6 people Belfast to Stansted with easyjet
£725 8 from Stanstead to Bergamo with Ryanair
£300 Hire Car X 2
£700 Rented Chalet / Apartment for 8 (Eur 1000)
£70 Ski Hire (Eur 100)
£100 Lift passes (Eur 140)

All in it should work out at around approx £400 - £450 each - not bad by my rekoning considering the same holiday is around £700 + with most operators for mid term week Cool

I don't think the 15KG baggage allowance on Ryanair has quite hit the girls yet though (i.e. No Irons / 5th pair of shoes required)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw one of your posts and see you live near Lecco. We have been to Como/Menaggio/Bellagio for holidays a few times - lovely part of the world.

As you seem knowledgeable about skiing in Italy could you recommend and resorts suitable for four families of mixed ability skiers. Some are quite good and there are adults who are beginners/second weekers and nine children varying in ages from 2 and a half to eleven.

We are looking at Pila and had pretty much decided on a hotel but the owners seem to have stopped communicating. Maybe he is fully booked and has not let us know.

Are there any other resorts that you would recommend for February with a a good snow record and artificial snow back up and a reasonable variety of runs that are not too long a transfer from Malpensa. We will be arriving 12 Feb 06 and leaving 19 Feb 06. There are 17 people in our group so far. Perhaps more will join.

Many thanks if you can help with suggestions!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry that message was addreessed to Matteo!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aidancostello, if you want to highlight a previous poster's name, just click on it and hey presto it jumps into your post in bold.
ski holidays
Good to hear you got it sorted Brian.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, You're telling me

aidancostello, Livigno was quite family orientated from what I remember.
Loads of children in the resort and loads of childrens ski schools.
Instructors had great english (my instructer had anyway - Lorena).
The Ski buses were quite good for allowing you to try all the different slopes. The bus fee was included in your ski pass, just hop on hop off.
snow report
thanks Brian

because some of the children in the group are quite young ages from 2 1/2 to 10 1/2) we have all agreed that we will only look at ski in ski out resorts. The buses were too much trouble getting the children off to classs in the mornings and getting back for collection etc.

might have a look though to see if there are any hotels really close to teh lifts and ski school.

Aidan
latest report
aidancostello, The ski school I went to was based at the very top of the village (if you are looking at the piste map).
The Bella vista and Amerikan were up that end I think, but otherwise there is not much there, you have to walk (or get the bus) about a mile in the opposite direction to get down into the town where the shopping, pubs etc are.
I think there is a ski-school in the main part of the village as well though. This would probably be better - near everything and no buses etc
snow report
Can highly recommend the Amerikan. Very good hotel and slope side Very Happy
ski holidays
Brian Barrett, Easyjet fly from Belfast to Newcastle, and Ryanair from Newcastle to Bergamo(Milan?).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy