Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quiver Killers...

Poster: A snowHead
Where to get them??

I note that Jons Ski Tuning up in Nottingham do them...
but being London based, without a car, nor much time before the next trip (27th) I was hoping to find somewhere more accessible.

Any options???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quadwould, the trip to Nottingham isn't too bad on the train. And Jon is most excellent chap. I wouldn't be surprised if he offers to pick you up from the station...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...or ask him to post them to you and mount them somewhere in London or in resort?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just post them up. Jons done three pairs of skis for me now (Rossi Super 7, Nordica Girish & K2 Domain) all three mounts were spot on and the Quiver Killer thing is awesome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Quiver Killers being awesome. Rock solid mounting.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
heheheh
Yeah i know, they really do seem to get rave reviews everywhere, and really it's a genius idea that someone should have come up with years and year ago... and thus they would have been more widespread by now...

Sending skis to Notts is not an option as I leave on sunday next week to go skiing.

Guess it will have to wait till after the holiday... (Damn wanted to bring a 2nd pair...... oh well...)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eh, it makes me proud. Anyone got a trumpet I could borrow?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/195660
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought this was some kind of all-mountain ski!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I thought this was some kind of all-mountain ski!

I thought so too. Quiver Facilitators would be a better name. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TallTone, pam w,

Indeed there seems to be a snowboard with this name....

so.. you kinda got it right. (all mountain plank. but singular-snowboard and not plural-skis)

altis, Brilliant stuff. Makes me miss the workshop I had in my house when living stateside, and had the room for one.

I think the Quiver Killer Brand seems to have a leg up on most with regard to design. Since they have a pointed/closed tip, thre is no means for water ingress, and that, i think, is a good advantage, esp if changing skis inthe middle of the day..
Someone posted a bunch of companies that make these tyeps of taps in a post further down that TGR thread. I totally forgot about Snoli - good company.

but for this purpose, it's got to be the Quivver Killers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In his absence I'll stand up for Jondrums, for it was he who read about my work and then designed those Quiver Killer inserts. PuderLuder asked if he could sell them on TGR as a group buy and Jondrums said yes on condition that little profit was made on them. That gentleman's agreement seems to have broken down and now Jondrums is competing head-on with PuderLuder by selling a Mk II design under his own Binding Freedom brand.

Trouble is: Quiver Killer has a catchy name and, although more logical, Binding Freedom isn't.

http://bindingfreedom.com/
http://www.quiverkiller.com/

TGR thread where Jondrums produced the design:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/113720-repeatedly-changing-ski-bindings-on-a-ski
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are the QKs just the wee screws? Do they get used with any old binding?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis,"Binding Freedom" is much cleverer though. I guess with either the point is that you save weight and money in that you only need one set of bindings. Except for maybe your touring bindings. And telemark Twisted Evil

"Go Quiver"?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Go Quiver'? 'Quiver Facilitators'? 'Quiver Killers'? Over to Boris' Bar, the lot of you! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
been loving messing about with all this stuff this winter, think next year, dependent on models, all bindings will be fitted with inserts at SOLE. No exceptions, get it done, it helps resale and gets you thinking about your kit in the right way.
latest report
pam w, the QKs/BFs are metal inserts that you fit into the skis. This allows you to run the binding screws in and out as many times as you like. A bit like this:

But note that you need to use machine screws (bolts) and not the original binding screws which have a self tapping thread. It is possible to get inserts with the right thread on the inside (Snoli) but the world has ignored those.

Interesting that SZK will be using them as standard.

IMV, it measures up like this:

Advantages
Can move bindings between skis easily
Can use different bindings on same ski - but beware Swiss cheese
Can remove bindings for transport - but don't lose those bits!
Servicing slightly easier without bindings

Disadvantages
Requires more skill to install - BIG problem if you get it wrong
Finding the right machine screws can be troublesome
Moving your mounting point is just possible but beware Swiss cheese again
Slightly heavier - really only of relevance for touring setups
Screws only 5mm diameter not 5.5mm so beware slack screws
Screws have #2 Posi not #3 like everything else - carry your own tools
Both QK and BF have an Imperial machine screw thread on the outside that is designed for metal not wood or plastic
Requires some big holes in the ski - do they weaken it?

Despite all this, I'm still inclined to use inserts where possible.

All of these problems would be solved at a stroke if the world settled on a common rail standard so that all bindings fitted on all skis in whichever place you wanted. Pigs might fly first!
latest report
altis, Booom, really chuffed about all this, we're going to hook up France and Chamonix with something that is so simple and effective.
Out of interest, given that to bother with them, you'll need at least two sets, how much would you pay for this facility????
latest report
QUESTION TIME.

What alpine binding would give you the best clearance from a Dynafit mount of you wanted to have two sets of inserts in one set of skis?

/thanks.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, 50Euro on top? dunno, hard to tell.
snow report
parlor, surely you're only considering FKS vs solly patterns anyway, and I think the Solly pattern is more spaced out than FKS, iirc.
ski holidays
In my opinion the biggest plus of quiver killers is the fact that make the mount so much stronger reducing the chance of a pull-out significantly.
snow report
parlor, I guess it's going to be a minimum of 100euros as it really needs two sets to make the whole process worthwhile.
latest report
Dyna-Duke is the most likely set up, P18 and Duke don't mix. Sally works tho.
snow report
DaveC, not at all: I have two pairs of all metal Vists sitting around, I would also consider all metal Tyrollia & Comp 1600/1800. Having said that it is most likely for my skis to be 916 / Dynafits. I just want the best clearance between the inserts.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, two sets = 100? haha. Yeah, dunno. Charge more...
snow report
parlor, I've done quite a few Dynafit/Duke combo's with QK's. This set-up works best if you have a large size Duke to maximise the seperation between the toe & heel plates but then have a touring boot that's as short as possible to fit between.

Let me have your BSL & which Dynafit model you have & I'll jig up the options to see which works best.
ski holidays

http://bindingfreedom.com/DynaDuke-Swap-Plates-1001.htm
latest report
spyderjon, ST10s & FT12a. Thanks!

FWIW I would buy Binding Freedom over Quiver Killers, Jondrums is the mang.
snow conditions
But why would you want what is effectively an additional riser plate for dukes which are already quite a long way from the ski?
In fact I'm having a bit of a hard time working out why you'd ever want to interchange bindings, just get more skis wink
snow report
stuarth wrote:
In fact I'm having a bit of a hard time working out why you'd ever want to interchange bindings, just get more skis wink

One pair of bindings, multiple sets of skis Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

What's wrong with multiple sets of bindings, multiple sets of skis. More is more... wink
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
kitenski wrote:

What's wrong with multiple sets of bindings, multiple sets of skis. More is more... wink

Weight for flying.....
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
spyderjon, ST10s & FT12a. Thanks!

FWIW I would buy Binding Freedom over Quiver Killers, Jondrums is the mang.

Just back from a few days in Austria where I tested out the Dynadukes. They're mounted on Preachers with Dynafiddle Vertical ST.
Rode Weds pm, then a day tour Thursday, boot deep fresh and crap vis Friday (trees) + a piste-based night tour, another day of boot deep fresh Saturday (more trees).

I checked the machine screws each morning; I got one quater turn out of one screw on the Thursday morning, but that was it. Felt completely solid through the whole trip and there's hardly any additional rise from the plate so, for me at least, the ride felt really good.

My only remaining concern is around losing a screw through being an idiot when swapping bindings between skis, but I think Jondrums will sell screw sets on the side, so I guess that's not a real disaster.

All in all, a big thumbs up from me.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
spyderjon, ST10s & FT12a. Thanks!......

parlor, I need your BSL as well.
latest report
zammo wrote:
.....My only remaining concern is around losing a screw through being an idiot when swapping bindings between skis....

I've got thousands of M5 machines screws in stock in over 17 configurations - what d'ya need?
snow report
Hi

For those of you 'darn sarf' we are NOW(!) stocking and installing Quiver Killer Systems as distributed by Jon.

For more info here is a link to the info page, we are based in Sussex so not a million miles from London and fairly easy to get to for those not able to head north: http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/blog.aspx?tag=quiverkiller

Thanks

ScottyDog

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-03-11 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
scottydog wrote:
Hi

For those of you 'darn sarf' we are not stocking and installing Quiver Killer Systems as distributed by Jon.

You might want to edit the "not" wink
ski holidays
tee hee! Nice catch, sorry jetlag, just got back from Taiwan and still not quiete there, want to drink beer at this moment, 8pm for me Very Happy
ski holidays
scottydog, Just Drink!! Friday, it's hot and dee beatches are singing...............
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, have you had that baby yet?
snow report
scottydog, I think you might have got the mounting prices the wrong way round on your webpage.
latest report
gsb, Toofy Grin Hope the same doesn't occur with skis!!!

pam w, Any minute now..................... Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy