Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Zzeuss & Volkl Nanuq with Vertical STs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm about 75kg/183cm.

Dynafit Zzeuss

About 15 days so far and skied al conditions from icy pistes to boot deep powder and on all skis from 66 to 128mm wide.

I had a reasonable fit straight out the box so have skied them without any modifications apart from a superfeet footbed. The liner is probably quite heavy but it is really good quality and very comfortable.

The interchangeable sole system is easy to use and reasonably quick to do. The vibram-alike soles are still reasonable flat though so not ideal for longer distance walking.

I didn't notice a huge difference in performance from my old Salomons. Even on rock hard pistes with stiff skis they are very responsive and 'direct' feeling. I didn't feel they were overpowered by the skis or lacking at any time. The flex is really progressive when compared to my own boots

The only time I felt they were lacking was with the Redeemers at 190cm long. They seemed a bit sloppy and like I was lacking control but that could have just been my skiing Wink I've set them up for my other boots again because of this.

I have managed to break the walk mode on one of the boots on my last outing which is a bit disappointing but Rob and Mountain Spirit in Aviemore has been great and Dynafit will deal with the issue.

I've not been touring in them yet but I've boot packed a fair bit and they are very comfortable and my feet are free of blisters.

I am a convert and will probably use them for 19/20 ski days.

Volkl Nanuq with Vertical STs

My first time on Dynafits was problem free but I haven't had a hard landing or skied particularly challenging snow so can't comment on release, premature or lack of. Entering on steepish slopes in deep snow wasn't too much of an issue.

Had a couple of days out on these now with the above boots skiing generally soft snow conditions. First impressions were how light they are compared to anything I've had on my feet, it really does take some getting used to. They felt as if they were getting knocked around loads at first but once I settled on them they were more stable.

More to follow..

/sweet blog

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-03-11 19:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've bought the Volkl Aura for touring which I think will be pretty similar to the Nanuq, same dims as the Mantra, 2 layers of metal but lighter wood I think? As you say they are very light skis but I think I actually prefer them to my heavier skis once I got used to them. I've got Fritschis on them and there's something I'm not too keen on about the Fritschis, I have to really think about staying out of the backseat with them but I didn't want to get new boots at the moment so didn't go the Dynafit route.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scotia, have you been touring in Scotland with them??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have had a pair of Dynafit Zzeus boots which I have only used for 20 days touring and have come to the conclusion that the design team was headed by a graphics designer rather than anyone with skiing experience rolling eyes

1. Buckles 2 and 3 clash and stop any forward flex, this on a size 26.5 mondo.
2. The liner is showing wear on the stitching and the edges of the tongue have worn away exposing the internal foam.
3. The heel pocket was too narrow for my foot, and has now been blown (never had this before)
4. There is very little adjustable cuff cant, the boots seem to be designed for a bow legged cowboy. And because of this it causes pain in my knees. Not had this before in any other boots.

I mailed Dynafit with photos and asked for ideas re. the adding of an extra canting rivet on the inside of the cuff and about the buckles, after 2 months and several prompts I got this in reply "Perhaps the Zzeus boot is not for you. I don't have any other viable solutions for addressing your knee issues."
Note the outward cant on the boot cuffs in the photo.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dypcdiver, ok the liner issues and the buckles could be an issue but it sounds like otherwise you were fitted with the wrong boots or you bought the wrong ones.

Fwiw the liner issue isn't a problem for me yet and I've had them for a fair while skiing reasonably long hard days.

kitenski, not yet... spring intentions and a trip next year in the works.

lynseyf, I think so. Will write more later when I get a spare 10 minutes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scotia, You are correct the liner isn't really a problem as I shall get an intuition liner fitted when I am back in Chamonix in 2 weeks time, but I did expect it to last more than 20 days!!
The canting is however a big problem, when I bought the boots I expected both hinge pins to be adjustable as is normal in this price range. I do not have knock knees and as can be seen the boots cant out quite a lot.
The buckles I believeve have been moved on the Titan which is the Zzeus successor but how did they get past the designer in the first place? The graphics on the boots and liners seem to be where the most attention has been applied.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dypcdiver, didn't the cant get tested as part of the boot fit? I do think Dynafits reply of the Zzeus boot is not for you maybe the correct answer here!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, +1.

Dypcdiver, again, the buckles haven't been an issue for me but you should be able to get one moved pretty easily.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Partly my fault as I said I would adjust the cant once I had skied in them.
scotia, No, buckles cannot be moved, looked at that with Jules in Cham (Largezookeeper)
And yes I think that the Zzeus is not for me.
BTW do you ride a horse by any chance?? wink wink
Only really brought this up so that other might be aware of the lack of cant adjustment and the clashing buckles issue.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/bab0057l.jpg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy