Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

summer glacier season in the alps...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey, Im looking at doing a summer season in an alpine resort with glacier skiing, but also with mtn biking hiking and stuff there aswell.

I've never been out there in the summer so have no concept of what the skiing is like and whether its actually worth spending time there.
any advice / info on where to go, lift pass prices, jobs prospects etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Beth
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bethward, The Alps are a great place for a summer holiday.
As for working there, try the forum at www.natives.co.uk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Innsbruck, find a bar job/etc, ski the Stubai Glacier in the mornings, MTB everywhere (the track at Nordkette looks ace but scary from a non-bikers perspective. I'd guess the traditional summer Alpine (climbing/hiking) areas like Cham would be plenty of fun too.

Tbh, from my limited knowedge of glacier skiing, it's not usually all that extensive and I'm not sure you'd want a whole season doing it... although there's plenty of other fun things to do in the Alps in summer.

Natives is a good place to look for work. I did a summer season in the Italian Aosta Valley with Acorn Adventure, after sorting it through Natives. Not so much opportunity for skiing, I went there for the whitewater kayaking, but the staff tend to be keen climbers/mountaineers/paddlers/mtb-ers etc, and there's a lot of scope for playing in the mountains roundabout. Crap wages, but you get food and accomm, a group of like-minded mates, and a lot of fun.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bethward wrote:
hey, Im looking at doing a summer season in an alpine resort with glacier skiing, but also with mtn biking hiking and stuff there aswell.

I've never been out there in the summer so have no concept of what the skiing is like and whether its actually worth spending time there.
any advice / info on where to go, lift pass prices, jobs prospects etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Beth

We're open in Tignes and offer activity holidays - www.summeractivityholidays.com Not sure what vacancies we have yet, but please send me your CV and we'll contact you : joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bethward, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Sounds like a fantastic idea. The Alps are wonderful in summer. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Innsbruck is a good call.

Zell am see is also worth considering with a massive lake for water activities and the nearby Kitzsteinhorn glacier for skiing. Summer glacier skiing isn't a patch on winter skiing - less runs open, hard ice in the morning with slush in the afternoon, bare patches etc.

There's a summer season ski pass for €400.
http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/tickets_prices/sommer/saisonkarten.htm

..... but if you are working you might not get much time to ski esp in the mornings when the snow is at it's best.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2Alpes, Tignes, Saas Fee, Hintertux, Zermatt. Skiing generally starts and finishes early (glacier open here from 07:30 to 13:00ish for example) so you need an evening job if you want to ski. It's also expensive compared to the winter season - eg the summer season pass here costs about 400€ for ten weeks, skiing on the glacier only, no discount for resort workers.

Loads of other stuff to do though (VTT, via ferrata, climbing, walking, pool, tennis etc etc) and the mountin bike pass is significantly cheaper than the full ski pass. Best bet would be whatever job you can get, buy day ski passes on days off and do other stuff the rest of the time. Jobs are harder to come by than in the winter, tend to go to people who have already done the winter season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy