Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meiringen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a small resort in the Bernese Oberland, halfway between Lucerne and Interlaken. I'm guessing only the likes of PG or ISE have heard of it.

A relative of mine, and much better skiier than me, goes frequently for the off piste. He's off again for a short break soon and has asked if I'd like to go. Of course I agreed, but am wondering what it's like.

Any Info?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been ther in summer but don't know what it's like as a winter resort I'm afraid
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise, I've been there in summer (it's where Sherlock Holmes fell to his death).

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ is quite a good source of information for Swiss resorts, and usually gives links to the resort websites.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth not quite, Holmes falls to his apparent death at the reichenbach falls just down the road, it is however the place where I understand a certain foodstuff made from eggwhite and sugar was invented
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Near enough Embarassed I knew it was some falls in or near Meiringen. We did them in the same day!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, beat me to it there Very Happy That's exactly what I was going to say, Sherlock Holmes and the link.

Funnily enough, I've been there Very Happy But not for ages actually. It's a nice place, ideal for a short break, good skiing, I've been snowboarding there and there were a couple of flat tracks but otherwise just fine. It's known as the Meiringen-Hasilberg ski area, Hasilberg may be a little better known. Not far from Interlaken. Careful though, they don't half talk strange round that area, I don't get a word of it Very Happy

Other links would be :

http://www.skiinfo.ch/destinations/detail.jsp?product.skiinfo.DESTID=ECHMEIRI

mmmm.... 2001.. I think we were there for a weekend on the office ski trip for the company we were both working for at the time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, Were here at New Year. Had our six year old second weeker in tow, so am only really qualified to give the beginner/family view but here goes...

Dead easy to get to from Zurich, either by rail or road. We hired a car from Sixti and got a brand new Ford focus for about £140.00 including all the CDW's etc. Watch out for the cameras out of Zurich though, 6kmh over the limit cost us £70.00!

Meiringen itself is a nice village where every second shop sells the famed meringues, it's a bit more 'lived in' than many resorts but there isn't much in the way of apres ski...not that we found anyway, though with aforementioned son we weren't looking too hard. If you need to hire equipment, try Intersport under the Hotel Sherpa, they were really brilliant with us and worked hard to get us the best boot fit etc. Most accommodation within easy walk of lift and there's a ski bus morning and afternoon too. Very friendly and given that they don't have a huge British market, English is widely spoken - the tourist office is close to fluent.

Hasliberg, just up the mountain is a more convenient base which was ski back to just about at New Year. It has more of a station feel about it.

As for the skiing, I hesitate to give too much of an opinion as it sounds like you're a good bit higher up the ski food chain than us. I'd definately echo most of the guides that label it as intermediate. It's not terribly beginner friendly as the areas within it are not terribly well linked by easier runs and they have a habit of labelling a run blue on the piste map and you get to the top of the lift and find it's red..sometimes very red! Agree with ise that there are quite a few flat bits too.
and watch out for the sledges...they're everywhere!

All in all though, a nice time, well kept slopes, excellent ski school, relatively inexpensive and not busy. Would consider it again but probably not as our main skiing holiday and not until our son's a bit more competent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, and theier website is www.alpenregion.ch
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice report Annie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, very useful. thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some friends of mine have a flat there and in fact the wife/mother comes from Meiringen or around there, very nice people. Live in England most of the year. Have not been there myself though may venture over there sometime.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy