Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
Radical freeski Mountaineering from Montaz-Rosset Studio
http://vimeo.com/21063670

Time to get the rope out!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isnt that steep side stepping?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Other than the fact that they have planks on their feet that bears no resemblance to any activity/sport I participate in. Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
remind me not to buy any dynastar skis off ebay that were only used for 6 days very careful owner and are in as new condition. wink
really cant see the point of that apart from pub time stories.. not to mention what may have happened if one of the 2 uphill guys had lost an edge..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, they have skis on, they are skiing (to paraphrase someone on another ski forum) wink

I wonder, at which point do you acknowledge that the skis are hindrance, take them off, strap them to your pack and climb down?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zero-G, that wouldn't make a very good narcissists vid though brethren
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep. Pointless.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sliding down rocks on ones back bottom aint skiing dont see the point either. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
do you think he might have done better if he hadnt been holding his camera ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a headcam. You clearly see both of his hands.

Whilst it doesn't seem like skiing to me and admittedly at first I did think "that looks sh*t, whats the point?" it is just another way of getting around in the mountains, who am I to say it's stupid. Although going on the title I was expecting him to straight line it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well if someone think he can ski down a slope in a straight line of a width half his ski length then he is welcome to try. Side stepping it is different matter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like he needs to buy some blades - the skis seem too long Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
e17phil wrote:
Looks like he needs to buy some blades - the skis seem too long Happy

Just what I was thinking!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps the hint is in the title, it's ski mountaineering, so it's not only about skiing. While I probably wouldn't do what they're doing (I have neither the skills nor the balls) I can understand why they would want to Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, wouldn't proper ski-mountaineers have rapelled in a more controlled fashion to the point where they could ski?
snow conditions
i'd class seb montaz as a proper ski mountaineer
i detect a bit of sarcasm in the title to the vid
latest report
Arno, I stand corrected. Certainly looks it from his site.

What I can't see is why bother putting the video on the internet?
ski holidays
give us something to talk about Wink
latest report
"the piste map said turn left at the top of the lift, you sure this is a blue boys?!"
ski holidays
If thats what turns you on.. knock ya self out... looked fun to me! Toofy Grin
latest report
weeeman wrote:
looked fun to me! Toofy Grin

Word. Some nice turns at the top. Shame someone boot packed right up the middle Wink
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
wouldn't proper ski-mountaineers have rapelled in a more controlled fashion to the point where they could ski?

You'd think!

Looks wild though.
snow report
korgscrew, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Seb is a great guy - he has guided me in the past and had me on my knees at the end of the day trying to keep up with him. He rips on skis and snowboards....
I think he qualified as a high mountain guide aged 22!! but when you grow up in Les Arcs skiing everyday it does help...

Just very glad he hasn't guided me down that Shocked althugh my snowboard might have just fitted.
snow conditions
Pointless? Maybe, but no more so than paying someone to drag you up a hill, putting long unmanageable planks on your feet to slide down, then paying someone to drag you back up again.

Bonkers? Possibly.

Skillful? Certainly. Try balancing, never mind side slipping, on something steep (but less exposed) while carrying poles in one hand, ice axe in the other, and a 15kg pack on your back.

Dangerous? Oh, yes.

Fun? Yee-ha! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Chamcham, you've summed it up perfectly. End of discussion Very Happy

Edited to add missing word.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 16-03-11 12:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
OK, no risk no fun but don't understand why he didn't get the rope out to reduce the risk and damage to the skis.
ski holidays
Maybe they had one of those "Ok, who brought the rope?" moments? But somehow I don't think so. I've been following Monsieur Montaz on Vimeo and Twitter for some time - he does some scary and exciting stuff. And you have to trust a UIAGM guide to know what he's doing!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
OK, no risk no fun but don't understand why he didn't get the rope out to reduce the risk and damage to the skis.

Because he probably doesn't pay for his skis
snow conditions
Zero-G,
Always thought a guide should minimize the risk and maximise the fun - I don't see that happening here. He might be the best skier on the planet but if one of the group members slipped further up the couloir they could have all gone down together.

Maybe there's a fine line between being gnarly and f'ing stupid
http://vimeo.com/3510398
ski holidays
DB, I don't think those are clients, I think they are friends/fellow mountaineers - they appear in quite a few of his videos.

That said, even if they were clients, if they asked for that type of terrain and they had the skills to do it, then I don't see anything wrong with this picture.
snow report
DB, Shocked Shocked ouchy.....beautiful powder tho, crushed nuts anyone???
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
DB, I don't think those are clients, I think they are friends/fellow mountaineers - they appear in quite a few of his videos.

That said, even if they were clients, if they asked for that type of terrain and they had the skills to do it, then I don't see anything wrong with this picture.

I'm no guide but always thought you should not put multiple members of a group in a high risk situation all at the same time if you can avoid it. Makes about as much sense to me as skiing down a steep avi prone slope all at the same time.
latest report
DB, I only know a little bit about skiing and a little bit about mountaineering so am not in a position to debate this properly. Looking at the footage, the other two skiers are stationary above the skier wearing the helmet cam and not as close to him as they appear to be (when you look up, perspective is foreshortened), so perhaps they are being safe? I can't say with any kind of authority...

Whatever they are doing, I do enjoy watching it. All very thrilling!
snow conditions
Zero-G,

Just at the end of the clip he appears to give the skiers above him an instruction with his ski pole for them to come down behind him. Sometimes guides go down to see what the risks are and if it is safe / possible to go further. There's a lot less risk him going back up than the others coming down irrespective of their level. Puzzled

Quote:
Radical: Departing markedly from the usual or customary
snow report
DB wrote:
There's a lot less risk him going back up than the others coming down

That can be true of many mountaineering situations but is not the point. You don't participate in the sport if you want risk free. Yes, you want to either mitigate or decrease the risk but a single truth about mountaineering is that you risk death doing it.
ski holidays
They aren't his clients, they are his mates and sponsored pro skiers!

If he was "working" and on that route he would of rapped of that rock spike.
ski holidays
I risk death everytime I drive my car but that doesn't mean I should encourage it, however thrilling it looks.

I'm not a gnarly Ski Mountaineer although will be needing Ski Mountaineering equipment (crampons, harness, rope, ice axe etc) in early April when I do three (Großer Geiger, Großvenediger & Grossglockner) 3300m+ peaks in a five day period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_mountaineering

I wouldn't even do what Seb did on rental skis.

What happened next did they rope up?
latest report
DB, [quote]
I'm not a gnarly Ski Mountaineer although will be needing Ski Mountaineering equipment (crampons, harness, rope, ice axe etc) in early April when I do three (Großer Geiger, Großvenediger & Grossglockner) 3300m+ peaks in a five day period.

wow that´s pretty impressive, (and I always had you down as a snowblader in a pink fartbag wink )
ski holidays
Yes that's right I'm hoping to be the first person to do it on Snowblades in a pink fartbag. Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy