Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late bookings - is this really true?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend tells me that the best time for grabbing cheap late ski deals is about three/two weeks before you want to travel. After that, most deals get taken off the market. And if you wait till a couple of days before travel date, the price actually goes up.

This is exactly the opposite of what I've always heard (and doesn't make sense to me) which was the nearer to date of travel the cheaper the deal.

Personal experience is that each season I always intend to wait until the last minute but either my nerve goes or other non-skiing commitments mean I don't have the flexibility I thought I would .. and I end up booking about six to five weeks from date of travel.

Friend will buy pints if I can prove he's talking sh*te!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a bit of truth in it, from experience three to four weeks allows a good deal (discount) and a bit more choice, later stuff often gets slapped with a late booking charge and none of the sweetners (two for one lift passes etc).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2-3 weeks before travel seems the best time to me, cheap last minute deals are available. Closer to departure time these deals are snapped up so as you get closer only the more expensive accommodation remains and the prices therefore appear to rise, you are left further out of town, or flights get more and more uncivilised....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My experiences of packages this winter:
March Skibound Serre Che £249 Newcastle flight and chalet hotel booked 10 days before but cancelled by Skibound 3 days before trip (said there was illness in hotel so got some compensation)
March Thomson Avoriaz £303 Edinburgh flight and Maeva self catering apartment booked 2 days before to replace cancellation
April Inghams Banff £465 Manchester flight and room only in hotel including underoccupancy supp. booked 3 weeks before.

Deals are available at all times but you have to decide what sort of resort and package you want. There was a great deal to Banff available when I was booking the March trip - about £350 - but when I checked temps in resort with windchill it was -48!!! Rather too nippy. Very late deals can have surcharges to collect tickets at airport but with internet tickets this is decreasing.

We have also driven out to France twice this winter but only do that for more than 1 week, once Dover/Calais and once Hull/Zeebrugge. Both fine but don't leave ferry bookings too late as price can increase. If you know dates book up when there is an early season deal. Self catering apartments can be picked up last minute from Interhome (30% off booked on the Saturday before) P&V, Maeva etc and from tour ops. Also trip to Sweden, flights booked about 1 month ahead as they do go up nearer. Flights usually best booked as far ahead as poss unless its a special Easyjet or similar deal.

Happy bargain hunting!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big Paua, just check the Silverski offers £199 for 20 March and £299 for 27 March.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy