Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I Need New Boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My boots are now 7 years old and have done approx 30 weeks - including working one season where I skied 6 days a week.

They are still comfortable, tight and have no damage apart from a cracked base plate.

Is the shell likely to have degraded in stiffness, integrity etc?

I don't really want to fork out for a new pair but, given that I'm likely to get a bargain over the next month or so, what do you think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are comfortable.
They probably fit.

Does your heel lift?
Do they look naff?
Are they the amazing exploding orange Tecnica icons? (wrong pigment mix led to 'interesting' series of catastrophic failures)

Note that a friend of mine still skis in original raichle flexons (15 years' old if they are a day) and they are brilliant boots - and back in fashion...

Different plastics (with different pigments and fillers) deteriorate at different rates. All hate UV light.
Personally I like to run a number of pairs of boots - and collect them from ebay when they are cheap - so I'd get some more and keep these in reserve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I say cracked baseplate I mean the insert which is inside the boot underneath the footbed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jzBun, Swing by Lockwoods in L/Spa, the boys there will give you an honest appraisal and take it from there.
What Valais2 said is all true.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jzBun wrote:
When I say cracked baseplate I mean the insert which is inside the boot underneath the footbed.

I did that towards the end of last season, hasn't been an issue skiing with so far (about 6 weeks) this season.

Also +1 for Lockwoods, they're ace.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jzBun, I bough new boots this season, have had nothing but grief from the bloody things. Evil or Very Mad

I'd hang onto the old ones nutil they fall to bits, personally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2, Right. Think I'll keep'em.

They are comfortable. Yes
They probably fit. Yes

Does your heel lift? No
Do they look naff? They are X Wave 10's with the transluscent yellow shell and the groovy orange camouflage inners. You decide.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm a big fan of Lockwoods especially after a 50% discount off a pair of Scott Punishers about 18 months ago.

clarky999, Yeah, mine cracked a couple of years ago. I couldn't tell you exactly when!

Lizzard here endeth the lesson, ta.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
X wave 10's?????? KEEP THEM!!!!
Excellent boots. Go on forever.
Salomon will send you a new hard plastic undersole, they keep X wave replacements since they are standard fit in their range, including later boots. Or you could epoxy them.
I really like the transluscent yellow ones. I have some gruesome transluscent green 1080s - hopelessly soft but rather good in powder. I keep them for days when I am flapping about with kids...if I am taking life seriously I use my X-waves 9.0s (with Lange inners), Falcon 10s (lean forward boy!); or Tecnica diablo flames (heavy, heavy, heavy but very good). Indulgent to have so many boots? Not really, all on fleabay for peanuts, all virtually new, and best to let them take a rest between days rather than relentlessly pound the inners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2, What have I told you about para breaks? Your first post on this thread was good, now you're regressing!!!

Anyway, no intention of selling the X-wave 10's now - not after that testimonial. But will be getting another pair of something or other, and a new undersole or some Poxy resin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
jzBun, I bough new boots this season, have had nothing but grief from the bloody things. Evil or Very Mad

boloody resort shops eh wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
....grief you're right...

Yet another aspect of technique to worry about....!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jzBun, how about just getting some new liners and foot beds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

boloody resort shops eh wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, Probably do that but also I might look out for something else too. As I'm now spending 50% off-piste I might get some slightly softer boots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy