Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR 'Keyhole' couloir

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got a few days off this week, and having had a lazy weekend letting the body recover from a succession of busy weeks, and with a window in the otherwise pretty poor weather forecast, I met up with Will for some adventuring out the back of Courchevel today. Will has been busy as always on skis this winter, and has managed to work out some new lines (probably previously unskied) on some of the peaks out behind Courchevel. He was keen to show me one of his discoveries, involving a bit of alpinism, some mixed climbing, and a short abseil (and hopefully some powder)...

Long distance shot to the 'Keyhole' (on the ridge), more of this later:

A fairly steady skin up on firm spring snow leads to a col on the ridge:

For the full mountain experience we didn't head straight for the couloir and went summit-bagging:

Bit of an airy climb on inconsistent powder with big drops either side:

Tricky skiing back off the summit, with very variable snow, and lots of rocks not far from the surface!

Getting to the 'Keyhole' involves a bit of insecure mixed climbing this winter:

Will at the 'Keyhole':

On the other side it was all looking quite good:

The top section is steep (50º ish) and leads straight into a choke-point - abseil needed this year. Looking back up from below the anchor:

Looking down from below the abseil, mmmmmmm!:

A bit of 'Ambiance':

Will giving his skis a quick grind on the abseil:

Some good snow makes all the effort worthwhile:

Will ripping it up:

Lots of space lower down:

A great day all round. Climbing, summit, abseiling, powder... it was all there.

It has to be said that right now powder is hard-won in the 3 Valleys though, the strong winds of the last few days have done a lot of damage, leaving some interesting crust on alot of slopes, and still a high risk of avalanche on certain slopes - the rain-crust from January is still making its presence felt.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:
A great day all round. Climbing, summit, abseiling, powder... it was all there.

And some great pics too. Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for posting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looks like a great day out!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Proper day out! Hope every settles down for the steep touring week
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another outstanding TR, thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@offpisteskiing, Hi looks like a nice one! I'm going to Courchevel in a few weeks, where is this couloir located, how do I find it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don’t tell him, Pike! Eh oh!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sad Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now that is a proper day out!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy