Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Crusades - Ski Purchase Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Been reading these forums for a while but not posted before, bit of a lurker I guess heh. Anyway I finally feel like picking up my final bit of kit, a nice pair of skis, and thought some advice would be handy.

First things first, about me: I'm 24 years old, 6 foot 1, weigh 80 kilos and have done 8 weeks skiing over the couse of about 14 years. I consider myself a good skiier with a (slightly) sloppy (or lazy) technique. I happily ski black runs and started off pisteing two seasons ago and absolutely love it.

Now that I have some disposable cash I want to buy myself a nice pair of skis for the piste and some off-pisteing, probably 70/30. I tried the snow park this year and dislocated/fractured my shoulder ... so not terribly interested in pursuing that course anytime soon Laughing

I've been reading some threads around here and searching around the googles for a decent pair of all terrain skis and one pair kept coming up, the Scott Crusades. They seem like a lovely pair of skis which fit the bill perfectly, plus to top it off with a cherry they're currently on sale!

I was hoping to get some advice on whether

a) They would be a good ski for me
b) What length would be appropriate

I love skiing, but I'm not at all versed in the equipment side of the sport, I generally ask for two good planks, check out their condition and get going. From what I've read the fact these are twin tipped, which I believe should help prevent them from dipping in powder, I'd want a longer ski then normal? In all honesty I'm rather clueless here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile

Cheers,

Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bdrob, Welcome to Snowheads. I skied a pair last winter in Tignes for 3 days and I really liked them. They were really easy to ski on piste and in the limited time I skied them off piste they worked well too (although I was only on 169's). You would want at least 179's and probably 189's I guess.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibdrob, yes they're good skis. I'm 6 ft / 80 kg & find them a good all rounder, would thoroughly recommend them for mixed use. 179 would be the length, 169s a bit too short & I wouldn't go for the 189s unless they were mainly for fresh snow/backcountry use. You should find them surprisingly good on piste, able to demolish crud and choppy stuff, and nice in the deeper stuff. But do try and demo a pair (in a snowdome?), you'll see how the flex and balance work for you, albeit only in limited conditions
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just bought a pair of these and they arrived last week. Unfortunately havent used them yet but hope to in next few weeks possibly at scotland snowheads bash and over easter too. Anyway back to the ski's, they look absoultely superb and seem to ooze quality. I got them in a 179 length and have put them alongside my 170 tornado's. Because of the raised tail and a slightly longer looking front tip the total ski length looks only marginally longer than the salomons, so I would definiately go for at least the 179's
Incidently there is a pair on ebay in Germany at the mo for about £180, last week the same seller sold a pair for £190 so they might not go up too much. The seller will deliver to the UK for eur24 and will also sell bindings so you might get a bargain if you bid carefully and know your limits.
Cant wait to try these out

link to german ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.de/Scott-CRUSADE-179cm-15m-Radius-Freeride-Carver-/150575347967?pt=Sport_Skisport_Skier&hash=item230efd78ff
good luck if you decide to go for them
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replies guys.

179 was my inkling, but wasn't sure if I should step upto the 189s for the stability. Ideally I would like to try them out at a snow dome, both are pretty close, but I can't ski for another two months due to my shoulder, by that time I'm thinking the sales will probably be over and I'll be looking at full price 2012 gear :s

Cheers for the eBay link, those are even cheaper then the pair I was looking at in the sales so I will definitely keep an eye on them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bdrob, you've got one thing wrong...

there's never a final piece of kit Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At your height/weight I'd be seriously considering the 189s, particularly as they are twin tips i.e. ski significantly shorter than flat tails. I haven't tried Crusades, but looks like a great all-rounder. The sidecut radius is pretty aggressive for a relatively big ski (16.5 m on the 189, 15.0 m on the 179) , which could be a good or bad thing depending on your personal preferences. It will help them carve shorter radius turns on piste, but might not be so good in the deeper stuff. Just something to note really when comparing with other skis of this type, which usually have a sidecut radius of 20+ m.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy