Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting conversation overheard in Slush and Rubble - a moral dilemma!

Poster: A snowHead
What would you do if you overheard the following:

Quote:
customer (unprompted): "my heels are lifting in the boot, it feels wide round my heel"

sales assistant (I think bootfitter would be going a bit far!): "are you trying to lift your heel deliberately"

customer: "er, I suppose so"

sales assistant: "well push your knees forward and it should be okay as you flex in the boot - is that better?"

customer: "a bit, yes it's better" (sounding not terribly sure)

sales assistant: "don't worry then, as you ski in them they will fit better"

Here's the dilemma, do you:

a. walk right up and tell the customer the person selling the boots is obviously clueless and she should go elsewhere (risking being kicked out of the shop and never being able to go back in again, not that I go in very much)

b. stand, look perplexed and try to make eye contact with the customer (but fail) in a way that avoids any conflict and in order to silently suggest she should high tail it out the store as soon as possible but end up just walking away thinking "been there done that, she'll learn poor thing"

At the time I chose b. - did I do right or should I have been braver?

Wow, the moral dilemmas I get when I enter a Slush and Rubble, it's always so much easier in EB Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Something between a/b

Walk up to the customer and offer some helpful advice. Either they'll decide to go elsewhere, or else they'll be too ashamed to, so will buy there anyway, but at least they will buy the right boots.

You have ruined somebody's skiing holiday. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I couldn't have just walked away. Not sure what I would have done but I would have to have done something.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wait 'til the bootfitter moves away to gets something else/she goes for a practise walk/etc, then tell the customer. Or go tell the store manager..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

a. walk right up and tell the customer the person selling the boots is obviously clueless and she should go elsewhere (risking being kicked out of the shop and never being able to go back in again, not that I go in very much)

Been there and done that and I don't know that much about boots ( though a bit more than they did)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wot clarky999 said
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm, sounds like I was a coward and you guys are much braver than me but I have had 'conversations' with a manager in that particular place before about boot fitting and he just wasn't interested (he got quite combative which was unpleasant to say the least)!

I think I'll stick to EB in future, as I say I've never had these moral dilemmas there! Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, In my case it resulted in the sales assistant getting another more experienced fitter to help as it turned out that it was the first time he had done one on his own.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, so if you deliberately try and lift your heels in your boots, do they move at all??
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, very little (a millimetre or two with effort) but they are a very tight performance fit!

Go on make me feel better by telling me the fitter was okay after all Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, well actually no idea, unless a shell test was done, but I guess that is the problem, in my boots it feels like my heels are moving, but it can only be a few mm like yours....esp as you can compress/stretch the skin around the heel, so it could feel like it was moving more than it actually does....

I guess not knowing what the fitter had done prior to the conversation is going to be hard to pass judgement!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
always travel with a handful of CEM's business cards/brochures Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a difference between the heel lift you get if you stand up straight and deliberately lift up that heel, by flexing your foot and heel lift when the leg is flexed forward, and it's the latter which is the issue here (at least, I think that's what CEM told me.....)

Even in my Zipfits I have some of the former - but none of the latter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
c) tell them that snowboarding boots are more comfortable wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, I am having a little trouble writing this but here it comes.....
+1
ski holidays
pam w, flangesax, yes it's a fair point and quite correct but I got the impression the customer was talking about more than a little bit of heel lift (she mentioned that there was space around her ankle which suggest to me her foot wasn't being gripped meaning the boots may have been the wrong shape for her foot). It's also worth remembering that standard boot inners pack down with use so whatever was felt in the shop is going to be worse after some skiing ... not that I want to highlight this fact and have more people telling me I should have intervened Shocked Laughing wink

On another point mentioned above, if the assistant was inexperienced fine, you have to start somewhere, but I would have thought it's incumbent on a shop to make sure inexperienced staff are not left to their own devices in fitting boots - just a thought!
ski holidays
flangesax, Laughing wink
snow report
What Pam said, if you pull at the heel you will always lift it somewhat. If it can't lift up, the chances are that you wont get your heel down there. I don't understand this post, the 'bootfitter' in this instance is pretty much right, so what is the point of this? Are we becoming the Snowheads, Bootfitting Police???
snow report
Quote:

I got the impression the customer was talking about more than a little bit of heel lift

Let the sales staff decide, it's their job.
snow conditions
Quality trained staff there lol
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are you suggesting that definitive statements shouldn't be based on cursory or incomplete information? Burn the heretic.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
What Pam said, if you pull at the heel you will always lift it somewhat. If it can't lift up, the chances are that you wont get your heel down there.

Fine so I did the right thing - must be the first time I've found solace in one of your posts!
Quote:
I don't understand this post, the 'bootfitter' in this instance is pretty much right, so what is the point of this? Are we becoming the Snowheads, Bootfitting Police???

No that's your job is it not? rolling eyes
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
What Pam said, if you pull at the heel you will always lift it somewhat. If it can't lift up, the chances are that you wont get your heel down there. I don't understand this post, the 'bootfitter' in this instance is pretty much right, so what is the point of this? Are we becoming the Snowheads, Bootfitting Police???
Yeah, people are overly-obsessed with whether or not they can lift their heel in the boot. Boot manufacturers used to be overly-obsessed with it too, using nice blood-restricting cables across the instep to cure it and big it up as a major selling point of their rear entries. Anyway, people get the boots they deserve - some (many) buy them too big but just get on with it and then there's the macho brigade at the other end of the scale that must have them too small and too stiff - easily recognised by the steam and bodily fluids escaping from their ears and their screaming in agony half way up the T bar. Somewhere in the middle is about right eh?
latest report
Be Nice please! it - i'd leave them be.
snow report
Bode Swiller, spot on, mirrors my recent boot history. I had a pair of Lange Fluid 90's from Shurefoot with injected lining, the full monty. I'm UK size 9 and the Lange were 26.5 shell. They were great (if very tight all round and toes bashing up against the front) for about 4 seasons, then the trouble started. Massive pain on the instep on 2/3 trips, debilitating pain. The tipping point was reached last December when I jarred my foot landing a jump and the instep swelled up making skiing impossible. I spent the next two days sitting on the sofa waiting for the swelling to go down, and even when it had I couldn't get the boot on without crying. Frustrated, and concluding that the liner had packed down so was offering zero cushioning, I went to Tricher Sport (in Schladming) and walked out with a pair of Salamon Impact 9 CS boots, apparently a good mix of performance and comfort. These were shell 28, and I was initially worried they were too big; I could raise my heal a little bit, there was a bit of internal swivel going on etc. After playing around with the clips, and a few more days skiing, I managed to get them almost spot on. Still a bit of rub on the inside ankle, but nothing a preemptive blister plaster didn't sort out. My conclusion was that I was over thinking the whole thing. Of course once the boots had settled in I went and bust my ACL so the next test will have to wait until next season....
latest report
Dr John, I love the Austrian way!...
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Dr John, I love the Austrian way!...
Mooooooo
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy