Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed ******* Crystal Ski

Poster: A snowHead
For the first and last time we have booked our annual trip with Crystal Ski.

We should have been going to Tignes in FIVE days time and they have phoned to say the hotel is full and we have to go to Courchevel instead.
Anyone any advice to offer us on our rights - or anything we ought to be negotiating? It is a bit late at this time to tell them to stuff it and we'll trot off to the travel agents. Do they do this often? This is also the first time we have ever booked online (booked about two weeks ago) does that have anything to do with it - always used a travel agents before.

Do tour operators overbook by large margins...or was accommodation full and certain nationals with a greater spending power than us Brits have outbid us at the last minute?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JanA, They did it to me once too, I never travelled with them again after that. There's a lengthy thread on this subject around here somewhere - but I'm struggling to remember what it was called to search for it. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can remember/find it.

I know it's not what you wanted, but is Courchevel a viable alternative? Is the accomodation better for example?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a look at items 12 and 13(section 4)
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/3288/contents/made

Good luck
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heck...thanks for very quick responses.
We have an hour to make the decision; the booking is in my other half's name and he will be home from night shift fairly shortly (and doesn't actually know yet) so the Crystalski person would only give me brief details and will only accept a decision from him when he phones back.
This was bit of a budget holiday; is Courchevel much more expensive 'out and about' compared with Tignes? Are there lots of flats on the easier runs (me = dodgy boarder)?
I suppose 3 Valleys compares favourably with what would have been available at Espace Killy and I would expect the passes to be similar cost.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JanA, Crystal has a couple of Managers on snowHeads
David Jarvis
Online Director Crystal Ski
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=28984
and
Simon Cross
Managing Director at Crystal Ski
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=25859
Perhaps send them both a pm and ask their advice before phoning Crystal back! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JanA, the lift passes with cost roughly the same. Also a comparable range of runs, if you like valley cruising then either are great. The big question is which Courchevel are they putting you in? 1850 has the best location, but virtually no apres or bar scene unless you have a black Amex. 1650 better for going out, but some don't like being on the edge of the 3V area. 1550/1350 are small, OK, but a couple of lifts further down the mountain so not quite so convenient.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's important here as well is what area of Courchevel you're staying in???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you again!
I have just had a look at the "Where to Ski" 2011 and I could weep. We've been to Tignes in the summer for the Glacier Ski-ing and wanted to return again. The comments in the book about Courchevel and ritzy Michelin starred restaurants and unpleasantly high prices are, sorry, just everything I dislike about ski-ing.
We've come into ski-ing from climbing/caving and just don't 'do' that scene. We skied in Chamonix last year and were determined that this year we were going back to a 'ski for ski-ings sake' type holiday. I'd honestly prefer a whiteout at the top of the Ptarmigan run to this!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JanA, I wouldn't take that too seriously. The ritzy restaurants are all in 1850, and even then in a specific area of 1850. The other bases (1650, La Tania) will have the same prices (probably even cheaper in some cases) than Tignes.

It's not brilliant that you've had your holiday changed, but 3V/EK are at least comparable areas. Courchevel has it's detractors (me included), but its location in the 3V can hardly be beaten.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-03-11 11:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JanA, Why not have a quick look on IGLUski.com and Ifyouski.com to see what sort of alternatives might be available if you cancel and for negotiation purposes if you don't. There are a few Leeds/Tignes showing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JanA, This may be a daft question - but are you and hubby able to put off your holiday by a week? There's a bunch of us going to Tignes on the 27th and you'd be welcome to join us.

Thread's here if it's of any help..

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74657&start=0
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi,

You should be entitled to either:

- a full refund of everything you have paid
- an equally priced or more expensive replacement holiday which you are happy with
- a lower priced replacement holiday which you are happy with plus a refund of the financial difference.

Check out how much the Courcheval holiday would cost to book today before you agree something. There is no hurry from your point of view to make a decision so make sure you're happy first.

They'll probably be loath to refund you the money you've paid so if I was you I'd accept the holiday and ask for some free liftpasses on top for the inconvenience - see what you can get!

Good luck . . .

Heather
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also check out the snow conditions. 3V isn't brilliant at the moment, but I don't know how much this can be used in a contractual argument.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courchevel isn't russion billionaires outside 1850. We stayed in 1650 in January and the nightlife is good, sensibly priced compared to Tignes (we were there in December) and if the location is close to the lifts you will have a great time. The mountain restaurant options in 3V are more than in Espace Killy, and several cheaper options, especially in 1650.

They are putting you under time pressure to try and get you to agree to something without thinking it through. They do not want to renegotiate, they do not want you to cancel. They are hoping for a panic decision with only an hour to make it, don't do it.

Do your research - check that the hotel you are being moved to is equal/better, ask on here with the names of the hotels/chalets and we can advise whether they are any better/worse. Also worth going through a travel agent and seeing what availability they have, you might find a last minute space in a luxury chalet or hotel could be arranged at no cost, they are less likely to fill it at this notice so may be prepared to do a deal.

I would seriously consider the Courchevel option, it is a good resort that I'd happily go back to, the equal of Tignes in every respect IMO.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Certainly given the snow conditions I'd be favouring Tignes.....

Courchevel tops out at about 2800m (admittedly the rest of the 3V is higher but you'll have to ski through Meribel to get there which can be slushy/icy even in good snow years). In terms of the quality of skiing back to your accommodation Tignes would win hands down this year.

All in all given the dodgy snow I'd be inclined to take a refund and see what you can book last minute in Italy or even Andorra (where the snow is loads better and better value for money). I'd take a look at snow reports and forecast- Crystal could be offering you a lifeline! snowHead

That is of course little consolation if you'd been looking forward to Tignes!
latest report
JanA, Hi, tried to PM you but it seems something gone awry with my Snowheads account.

Just to say we're aware of the issue and I have just spoken to our Head of Customer Services to help get this one sorted for you.
We will be in touch shortly.

Feel free to PM me in the meantime if there's anything else you'd like to raise - although I'm not sure whether that will work due to above Snowheads problems!

Thanks
David Jarvis
ski holidays
David Jarvis, Welcome and well done for quick action Very Happy Your SnowHeads account is 'down a crevasse' (see under your username) which usually means a problem with your registered email address on here. If you ask a Mod nicely, they should be able to advise
latest report
Just had a quick look at snow reports on SCGB. Courchevel is reported as having 'Worn' conditions on piste and resort runs, Tignes is reported as 'Good' and 'Hard' respectively. Both have some snow forecast (c.20cms). Italian resorts are reporting more recent snow, more snow forecast in next 10 days and better piste conditions.

If Crystal are having to cancel contract I'd either request they tranfer you to Italy or refund in full. Igluski showing some options at pretty reasonable prices (and big discounts). Oh and also with flights from Manchester (I see you're in the Yorkshire Dales so it could be worse!)

Take a deep breath and research what else is available- you may be pleasantly surprised!!!

Good luck
snow report
OK thanks everyone; had to sort it out fairly quickly. (To be fair, the hour was not pressure from them, it was when I said my OH would be home and could contact them).

I must admit that when OH got home weary from nights (NHS!) we decided on a slightly yeah-yeah-whatever stress-limiting approach to keep things in perspective. We had to take into account that OH has a promotion interview on Friday and he should be preparing for that, rather than being preoccupied with what is happening on Saturday!

Obviously the snow is the number one concern which is why we booked late and opted for Tignes. The forecast for the lower slopes next week in Courchevel is rain Sad

We did manage to negotiate a 3V ski pass at same price as EK (we hadn’t booked that previously)and the hotel appears to be an upgrade.

Quote:
Courchevel isn't russion billionaires outside 1850

Unfortunately we are in 1850 rolling eyes After Chamonix last winter, the bad mannered Russian billionaires were exactly the people we wished to avoid. Oh well, if any of you see a couple of pikeys with lunchtime doggy bags in 1850 next week come and say hello.

Anyway, above all, thank you for all your comments; I am seriously impressed with the usefulness of this forum.
latest report
There is a pic-nic room at the bottom of the Saulire gondola..... (you can nip into the supermarket in the main centre in 1850 and pick up a sandwich and head straight up on the lift).

Courchevel is awesome so you'll have a great time, bear in mind the bottom of the slopes is c1300m so you should be ok(ish) at 1850 rain-wise
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:

There's a bunch of us going to Tignes on the 27th and you'd be welcome to join us.

Thanks you for that anyway; hope you have a really good time.
ski holidays
Chris Angus wrote:
There is a pic-nic room at the bottom of the Saulire gondola..... (you can nip into the supermarket in the main centre in 1850 and pick up a sandwich and head straight up on the lift).

Thank you; that is exactly the sort of information we need as first timers to 3V Smile
snow report
JanA,
Let us know how you got on please Smile
snow conditions
JanA,
Quote:

I must admit that when OH got home weary from nights (NHS!) we decided on a slightly yeah-yeah-whatever stress-limiting approach to keep things in perspective. We had to take into account that OH has a promotion interview on Friday and he should be preparing for that, rather than being preoccupied with what is happening on Saturday!

David Jarvis, Lets hope your company does not cause any more stress, don't know about you, but I prefer the NHS to be stress free - in all respects!
snow conditions
No worries. Be careful of coffee/beer prices etc in restaurants in the Courchevel valley (well above 1850 really), they are noticeably more expensive than Meribel and the Val T valley. 1650 has a couple of more reasonable spots esp at resort level. Otherwise Val T/Les Menuires are relatively reasonably priced. You are not going to spend a lot more than you would have done in Tignes (and about the same as Val d'Isere had you skiied over there for lunch).

There's a pretty good pizza spot in Meribel Chaudanne (1450) on the roundabout just off from the meeting spot- again relatively inexpensive- I am sure someone will know the name on here!

If you're going to hire skis make sure you book in advance online (it'll save you a healthy chunk of money).
ski holidays
JanA, we'll be the other pikeys staying in Courchevel 1850 next week Very Happy

What hotel are you staying in?

Lots of good info on cost avoidance on this thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71680&highlight=

and there's a dusting of snow on and off forecast through the week before we get there so all is not lost. In fact, looks quite good all in all. Better than being sat in an office anyway Very Happy

Me... cannae wait snowHead
latest report
JanA, Thank you and you're welcome Very Happy I hope you have a fab time in Courchevel too. It is a great place to be and fingers crossed that the snow will be good for you. What hotel are you staying at?

This site does amaze me at times, it's not many places that you can get a reply direct from the top at Crystal... well done David Jarvis. snowHead
snow report
Oh and you have to get across the 3V to L'Ours Blanc restuarant. It's in Les Menuires, and I'd quite happily eat there every day on a ski trip. If you have a nice lunch on one day all holiday, that's the place to do it. Their pizzas are great, their salads are huge, and their steaks are unbelievable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Tania is a good place for cheap lunches.

or

Try the bakery in 1850 (in the Forum where the ice skating rink is), grab a baguette and head up the mountain to a sunny spot.

Resort should be fairly quiet next week..
ski holidays
JanA, Hi, I'm sure you'd rather we didn't discuss your holiday options in a public forum, so I'll try to keep this to the point.

Our Customer Services people tell me you've had an alternative from us, and even if that doesn't work for you we're dedicated to finding something that will, we'll just need to understand your requirements. It's standard practice that we deal with the lead passenger on the booking for obvious reasons.

So we have options for you, however as time is getting on if you do want to go with the holiday then we need to get the wheels in motion. Sorry to add on the pressure, but at this late stage it's a practical issue about availability I'm afraid. Please can your other half get back to Kirti in our Customer Services team as soon as they can.

We'll happily provide a refund and a small amount of compensation should the worst come to the worst. I think I'd still want to go on holiday though!

Thanks
David Jarvis
snow conditions
David Jarvis, Glad that you appear to be doing something.
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how the UK's largest ski operator only knows
Quote:

Tignes in FIVE days time and they have phoned to say the hotel is full

FIVE days in advance that a hotel is full, I would assume you sell 7 day holidays so would I be wrong to assume you had in excess of 7 days notice of this c0ck up by someone?
Also are you really telling us that TIGNES is also full next week?
and please don't try and fob us all off by blaming the Hotelier.
ski holidays
[grabs armchair and bag of popcorn] Cool
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, not sure I like the tone of your post tbh.

Anyway, the facts of the situation:
- Regrettably, there was shall we say a misunderstanding between Crystal and the hotelier about availability.
- Crystal has not contracted the whole hotel for the whole season, the hotelier had made other arrangements
- We have offered a *comparable holiday* as an initial alternative. It would not be comparable to offer a lower quality of hotel in the same resort, or a higher standard of accommodation without catering for example.
- There was not a *comparable holiday* in the same resort on this occasion

As we're not in control of things overseas on this one, I think we're doing all we can to help someone go on holiday, and if that doesn't work out as I said refunds will be happily paid.
latest report
David Jarvis,
Quote:

Boredsurfing, not sure I like the tone of your post tbh.

Oh sorry.
snow report
David Jarvis, http://mag.digitalpc.co.uk/fvx/crystal/sir2010/
Page 15, one assumes this situation is a direct result of 'capacity reduction' which is 'better commercially'. 'cos we can move the punters to where the beds are unsold rather than giving them the holiday they thought they booked, best not to tell them until it's too late so they don't have a chance to re book with someone else.
Pessismistic me? No, realistic yes, Crystal is still in business. Ski Beat lost half a million on a turnover of £5.2 million.
If Tour Operators were a bit more upfont rather than giving stressed out people 5 days notice then perhaps the DIY sector would be almost unheard of and not represent such a threat to TO's.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 14-03-11 15:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm not sure he'll enjoy the tone of that either Laughing
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, aw, come on I've edited it and I'm sure he gets much worse elsewhere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, trying to frighten him off Toofy Grin
snow report
Boredsurfing, really interesting link, am having a good read.

I've never booked a package holiday, ski or otherwise so have never given this much thought.
I'm surprised that a holiday in a different place can be classed as comparable though. It's a bit like having your flight to country A cancelled and (instead of the protection of refunds and compensation that comes with the EU Passenger Rights) you get flown to country B that looks a bit similar, and where you can do the sort of thing you probably wanted to go to A for, so hey you won't mind will you? rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, think this has gone a bit off topic now.

Misunderstandings do happen, that's just a part of life.

Of course Crystal doesn't want these things to happen, that's pretty ridiculous because we would have more refunds than revenue (which we don't). If Crystal didn't care about customers then we wouldn't have organised over 50 buses to bring people back from the slopes last winter when the volcano hit (which we did). If people were happier to DIY than go with tour operators then tour operators wouldn't be in business (which they are).

As far as this situation goes from what I understand as soon as we knew what was happening overseas we were in touch with customers affected and we have arranged alternatives.

It's a regrettable situation but those affected would have been worse off if they had booked independently.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy