Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coombacks/Shoguns or Mantra's ....?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for an answer to the all singing all dancing question of best ski for Backcountry, Steeps, Chutes, and Bumps - I know the question for all us demanding a single ski rather than a quiver? Be really interested in everyone's opinion on this though. I really like the Shoguns but haven't demo'd the Mantra as yet. Just don't want to miss out on Steeps and Bumps action. Any ideas???? Razz Razz Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you ruled out Gotamas?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not demo'd them either MM. Heard bang on reports though! I'm trying to narrow it down form my list of 3 so think Mantra might remain up there instead of Gotama for now. I know I'm looking for Nirvana here but don't want to compromise all the fun of steeps and couloirs and don't want to dissappoint on Bumps - hence my post.

Wanna try and get 'em sorted this week but been thinking about it too long and spending to much time assessing. Shoguns are sneaking it for me at the mo, but some of other riders really rate the Mantras. Don't know anyone personally with CoomBacks but such a great pedigree thanks to DC. (RIP).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backcountryboy, none of the above will really work properly in bumps, but then you are looking for the ultimate compromise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know, I know and when I think about it again the Mantra may probably be best all rounder (on and off), narrow chutes and Bumps - I just really like the feel of the Shoguns in the backcountry. Something's gotta give but I just can't decide what....?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the final question that will sort it out I think - although as I type I feel I already know the answer here......In narrow situations on a 50 degree pitch, I guess the short radius is kinda important in the end.........! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backcountryboy, Only if you're trying to carve that steep corridor.

If you're thinking skiddy skiddy or even jumpy jumpy, then the bigger radius could be better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
backcountryboy,
Mantras are superb skis. Stiff-ish and quite fat so a bit of work in the bumps, though pretty much perfect flex for just about everything I've tried (not quite enough tortional rigidity for icy GS courses without enough GS ability from the driver!). I really like the combination of stiff through the ski, but soft enough tip that it works well in powder without being flappy when charging. For steeps and chutes i don't like too much shape as it's nice to be able to easily butter entrances and turns.
As mentioned above, Gotamas are also great skis (I'm quite a fan of Volkl freeskis), though quite different to the Mantra, oh and quite expensive!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
backcountryboy, If you're a decent skier buy these http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74929&highlight=
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
backcountryboy, I don't know if price is a factor, but Mantras are going cheap at snow and rock, £276 instead of £460 without bindings... http://www.snowandrock.com/volkl%20mantra%2010/11%20(ski%20only)/ski-touring/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/14398
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backcountryboy wrote:
I've got the final question that will sort it out I think - although as I type I feel I already know the answer here......In narrow situations on a 50 degree pitch, I guess the short radius is kinda important in the end.........! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

WRONG. In steeps you don't want a great deal of sidecut as you'll not have a huge amount of edge in contact with the snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hardsides, but not for bumps. you wan to ski bumps, look for a different type of ski
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Guys for all the info......No takers on the CoomBacks then?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll chuck in for the Coombacks, they are awesome. Skied all sorts of different conditions on them and I felt they coped with everything. I've never ever felt in a situation where I thought they were not performing. I'm no moguls expert so can't say too much about them in bumps, apart from to say I didn't feel any worse on them compared to my piste skis.

I've got the Fritschi Freerides on them and feel they are awesome on piste, unless seriously charging, when the rocker can get a bit flappy.
I can just about keep up with dynafit shod guides when skinning. Off piste they are fantatstic, float well and deal with crust quite admirably.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try the Gotama. Perfect for the off-piste. Softer and more manoeuvrable than the Mantras (the ski-length rocker helps). I know that everyone says it, but I have used these skis all season - with +/- 20 days on them - in ALL conditions (including waist-deep powder in couloirs in Val Thorens/Orelle, ice/hard pack in Wengen etc etc etc) and they have been awesome. As I have the Marker Barons on them, I have even used them for half a day touring - and the weight/width is no issue at all.......

They ski short so go for the "longer" length if you feel you are n between two sizes.

Sorry to through another pair of skis into the mix but I though you ought to know !!!!!!

Good luck with your final decision...
ski holidays
+1 for Coombaks. Luv em snowHead Just found that Marker Squire bindings will take touring boots (for half the price of a touring binder).. so I can enjoy the walk out too ! Very Happy
snow report
ski wrote:
Just found that Marker Squire bindings will take touring boots (for half the price of a touring binder).. so I can enjoy the walk out too ! Very Happy

A little care should be taken with this statement. ^ I'm sure you can your AT boots to fit in the binding but "take" implies it will still work the way it's designed ie to accommodate and function with a ISO / DIN regulated boot.
snow report
parlor, I checked with Marker about this.. the toe piece has an adjustable for height AFD, and the heel is shaped to accomodate touring boots. In any case I'll test them (on a test machine) before use.
snow report
+ another 2 for the coombacks (and Gotbacks - womens' equivalent). Skied them in Japan, powder, trees, piste, a bit of park. Not many bumps but they're light and manouverable, with a nice stiffness in the tail that gives them excellent stability. Tried the Gotamas and were nowhere near as versatile. Probably the extra weight and topsheet. If you're heavier you might want them or the Hardside.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy