Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking ahead - piste skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recovering from an ACL reconstruction, pushing myself forward with the aim of skiing next season, obv. I own Scott Missions and was doing about 70/30 on/off piste. I'm guessing that I'll need to stick to the piste on my return so I'm in a more controlled environment. I've not had an issue on piste with the Missions, but I'm considering getting some proper piste bashing planks, Head Supershape or similar. How much difference will dedicated piste skis make? And how much do I need to avoid the soft stuff when getting back into the swing of things? Any advice welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[grabs a chair and watches in interest]
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends on how you ski. If you steer your skis with a lot of edge control, carving many of your turns, you will notice a big difference. If you pivot and skid most of your turns you will notice less of a difference. The Supershape Magnums or their marginally wider brethren the Supershape Titans are great skis.

No idea how much you'd need to avoid off-piste because of your ACL situation, but good luck with the recovery.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have Missions in 178 and bought second hand piste carving skis (AK Pro 168) for hard conditions. For sure the piste skis do tighter turns but I also find them much harder work than just doing faster wider arcs on the Missions especially if it is a bit bumpy. The Missions tend to smooth out the ride a bit more. I haven't yet tried the AKs on a really hard piste but then this is fortunately not the majority of conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I use edges and angulation most of the time, pivot/skid only when necessary. I was beging to think about getting some piste specific skis before the injury anyway. I'm assuming that the lateral pressure on the ski/boot off-piste will need more knee work to hold the line, but happy to be corrected on this.

I was tested Volkl AC30's a couple of season ago, but found them to be too heavy. I'm looking for a good mix of solid carving but light with good maneuverability.

nessy, you've hit the nail on the head. The Missions (178 also) do make for a smooth ride, and I know them very well so perhaps better to stick with what I know?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr John, are you going to take 2 pairs of skis on hols? If not I'd stick with the missions, sods law says the moment you buy some skinny piste skis you get awesome on piste powder the next morning!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, only taking one pair with me, unless we drive which isn't likely. Probably take the missions and test piste skis when out there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spend the money on something that will help you get back to strength (e.g. Balance board). Might even be worth getting some sort of leg support / brace.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used my carver/slalom skis for the first time in a couple of years on my last trip and was very impressed.

I've used a pair of High Society Freerides (187 and 104 underfoot) as my everyday ski for a few years now and thought they were fine.

But, I had my eyes opened. It took a few turns to learn to ski them again because they don't skid easily - they just carve away without effort.

Rubbish for pivot slipping, but tons of fun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, knee brace is a no-brainer. I'll take advice from doc and physio closer to the time about model and custom fit/off the shelf options. Genreal strength will be built up from months of physio and gym work.

Mosha Marc, that's my train of thought. My carving has improved greatly in the last couple of season, can't help thinking what might be achieved with some skis build specifically for the job.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy