Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains on 4 x 4s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered whether I still needed to carry a set of snow chains when winter driving around europe even in a 4 x 4

Regards
Super Eagle
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Super Eagle, Depends on your tyres to a certain extent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Uh-oh. This could rapidly turn into another winter tyres thread......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Super Eagle, If you have snow tyres on all 4 wheels then you should be ok, but you would need some chains too to comply with "must carry chains" rules.

You should also put chains on all wheels or none but I guess the police will be happy seeing a pair you never use.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winter tyres ARE a better idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super Eagle, I'm only down the road from you and I needed them to get onto my drive back in December and I have a 4x4 with all weather tyres. Didn't need them last year on holiday but after using them in really bad snow I wouldn't dare go away without them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super Eagle, Need chains for must have chains areas, to actually use them check the handbook which will tell you which wheels require them and buttons to press, sometimes EPS or derivatives need turning off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super Eagle Carry them in my forester, and have been asked to show them a few times, then waved on. Not needed them yet due to winter tyres and rear slippy diff and done lots of time in the alps. Forester has them fitted on the front wheels if required according to the book.

P.s. Avon ice rangers are not good at all compared to my old wintertracs...but of course those are kids computer games not winter tyres at all............... Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a 4x4 and after 5 years of driving I finally brought some chains (Ebay £47) and then I needed them.

Check with your car manual but Mitsubishi state that I only use them on the front wheels, with 4WD engaged, I also have the option of locking the transfer box if I really get stuck.

My tyres are large road tyres NOT offroad nor winter tyres and I managed fantasticly driving across the UK on snow prior to Christmas and when driving down from Le Havre we didn;t hit tarmac until south of Paris (again without using chains). Despite all the Parisian cars putting their snow chains on we were fine on the fresh snow / slush without chains.
It was only in deep snow with hard packed snow underneath that we slipped around and I was easily able to fit the chains and used them until the tarmac had re-appeared.

Our chalet owner warned that even with a 4x4 the police would still turn you back without chains or snow tyres in the French Alps.

Noisey
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FWIW, I've noticed that my snow tyres have got significantly worse (or 'not as good') as the tread depth has decreased, still about 4-5mm as opposed to the 9mm new. The degradation seems to manifest itself going DOWNHILL rather than up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm wrote:
FWIW, I've noticed that my snow tyres have got significantly worse (or 'not as good') as the tread depth has decreased, still about 4-5mm as opposed to the 9mm new. The degradation seems to manifest itself going DOWNHILL rather than up.
yes, and I can feel it on the flat too - not unexpected though - new set going on around August/September (dealer advises ordering early as possible by the way). I also have a nice new set of chains that have never left the bag, purely for show.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
allanm, Bode Swiller, I thought that at about 5mm it was about time to retire snow tyres as the become significantly less grippy especially in the wet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy