Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing 2nd April, what to expect?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to go on 2nd April. I've only ever skied in January before, what should I expect. And where should I go. Coming under some pressure to book - but realistically some places have only had one snowfall since Christmas, which fell a fortnight ago, and it's still 3 weeks away.

What to do, what to do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last,
Early april is usually a great time to ski. this year may be different as there is not a whole lot of base in many places but there is still plenty of time for fresh snow.
Altitude and aspect affect snow more the later the season goes on. To ski all day in pleasant snow you generally need some highish north facing slopes. Generally speaking snow on lower and sunnier slopes start of frozen solid turn itno pleasant skiing for a varying length of time and then go gradually slushy. A slush run back to resort at the end of the day is common. Great skiing high up throughout the day is also common.
I would definately wait and see.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resist the pressure to book. Much of the weather in January was rather like April - maybe April will be like January? At the moment it seems Italy has the best snow, and the best prospect of more in the next week. Very warm temperatures are amongst the possibilities (and therefore rain except at the highest altitudes).

Have a read of the "weather" thread - where we are told there is still a great deal of uncertainty after this week. Also good idea to read all the "snow reports" threads - a range of opinions available!

Many places in the French Alps have had two or three rather modest snowfalls since Christmas.

What you should generally expect in April is pretty good snow coverage and depth, but tending to be very icy and hard first thing (if it's frozen overnight), then softening to quite nice, then softening to extreme slush/water skiing depending on aspect - you need to try to go somewhere with a range of different aspects, as the needs are v different first thing in the morning. Ski from about 10 till 2, then a long late lunch, can be a good formula for spring skiing.

However, this isn't a typical year and snow coverage in some areas is already like mid April (someone said everything below Les Menuires is artificial only, which is hard to believe and certainly not true throughout the northern Alps).

There are often some good snow falls in April - doesn't last long when it falls but very nice for a while.

Longer lighter evenings. The lifts will be open later than January (which doesn't necessarily mean you'll want to be actually skiing till late!).

Spring skiing can be fantastic - but this year Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled who knows. We have skied till closing in an area which only goes up to 2000m every April since 2003. But keeping an open mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did a 4 day trip till from 9th April last year to Obergurgl. Only the absolute bottom end of resort runs were a bit slushy by late afternoon.

Going to Stuben 2 April this year for 4 days. Bit lower and I'm a bit more worried bearing in mind current forecasts but am keeping the faith. It's a micro climate there, apparently !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Going to Val T on 1 April and already getting nervous...but it's high enough there that I'm hoping something will be skiable!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buzzsaw, If it's not, then 100+ snowHeads due to arrive from the 23rd April are going to be in big trouble. Shocked

(I suspect you are worrying unneccessarily... chill) wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a decent amount of fresh snow later than that in Kitzbuehel last season, which is pretty low. It's a wee bit different than usual this season (in Tirol anyway), and bases don't seem to be all that good. Last week most of the lower resorts around Innsbruck still had very nice snow, softening but not to slush, apart from the more southerly facing aspects which were getting pretty bare.

Don't worry though, slush and spring snow are the most fun things to ski after powder.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
Don't worry though, slush and spring snow are the most fun things to ski after powder.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Montgenevre last year in April and I was pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of slush. We had fresh snow on several days and it felt more like other resorts in Feb.

I would pick a resort with most of the skiing over 1800 and a good number of north facing slopes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we've been to Obertauern in mid April when they had the biggest dump all season, then the sun came out and it was just perfect. Going this time on 2nd April and they still have 140 cms on mountain and 100 cms in the village. Temps climbing towards end of this week, but still cold at night. I've watched the webcams in previous years and although the lifts shut end of April/beginning of May, there was still plenty of snow on the ground in June!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

slush and spring snow are the most fun things to ski after powder

yes, they are fun. But what I really don't like is that weird very sticky stuff where you just come to a complete halt and your weight gets thrown forward. The real slooshy sugary stuff is great. But it has a brief time of peak ripeness - rather like an avocado.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'd go along with that on spring snow. Good spring snow is like skiing on velvet and fantastically forgiving. But the window is short. Then again that leaves more time to enjoy the sunshine on the terrace! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Puzzled

It's nice and soft, gets cut up more so you have something more interesting on piste than flattened motorway. Slushy bumps are ace, nice and forgiving - you can either dance down them or just smash through them, as the mood takes you. Plus if you've got twins you can make a massive ego-boosting rooster tail:

Cool Doesn't show up against the snow background so well, but it goes back at least 5 metres and nearly blocks me from view. Hilarious when you cut in front of your mates too lol.

pam w, yeah fair point, when it turns into 'soup' you'd be better off with a beer and a deck chair in the sun. Which is also ace. I love Spring!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would suggest deciding (very) late minute.

I have never gone that late to the Alps, but I might also go this year. In my case: mid-April for a couple of days to St. Anton.

I suppose we should expect skiing untill approx. 1-2 PM and then have a long lunch & apres ski, but that's fine for us. We had arctic temperatures mid/end-march last year, so I guess anything is possible.

We will leave it very late to decide if we're going, presumably a week before we want to go. When the conditions do not seem reasonable at the minimum we will opt for an also pleasent city-trip and enjoy the spring that way!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
pam w, yeah fair point, when it turns into 'soup' you'd be better off with a beer and a deck chair in the sun. Which is also ace. I love Spring!!

If you've still got any strength left in your legs, riding your tails around people sinking into the soup while you're on your way to getting that beer can put a big smile on your face too. Very Happy
snow report
I think what I'm talking about is not "soup". It's a very patchy thing - some slopes just turn to slush/soup, which is quite low friction. But in some places you get an incredibly slow, sticky, surface (which is not actually slushy) which is extremely unpleasant, slows you right down and there's absolutely no chance of spinning round doing rooster tails. Velcro snow. It kills your legs, because in order to be ready for being thrown forward, you need to sit back.
latest report
I've seen slush:

1. Pools of water on the piste which freeze hard overnight and turn into sheet ice before they melt again the following day. Whatever you do, don't fall over into it...

2. Thick, sludgy snow that's like trying to ski through treacle - and if it's a flattish green you have to pole yourself even downhill.

3. Great gloopy heavy snow that trips you up.

What isn't there to like about boiler plate?
snow report
I must say I like slush - but obviously you have to carve it, you can't skid round. At the point off-piste where you have to point straight down a steep slope to keep going at all, obviously things have gone too far. However, Eyeopener, you should get good skiable snow all day, even in late April. (Keep in mind which slopes are north or south facing and ski high North facing later if you don't like slush.) It is normally summer skiing when you have to stop early.
ski holidays
Quote:

Thick, sludgy snow that's like trying to ski through treacle - and if it's a flattish green you have to pole yourself even downhill.

3. Great gloopy heavy snow that trips you up.

Don't ski flat greens then wink

It helps if you can carve, and ski more aggressively. There is a point where you jsut stick and can barely move, but plenty of fun up until then.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
Planning to go on 2nd April. I've only ever skied in January before, what should I expect. And where should I go. Coming under some pressure to book - but realistically some places have only had one snowfall since Christmas, which fell a fortnight ago, and it's still 3 weeks away.

What to do, what to do?

I wouldnt expect a great deal!
snow report
moffatross, It's even more fun when you're on a Skibob that floats on slush like a dream, zooming past skiers stuck in the soup as they negotiate the mounds! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
James the Last, Just back from Pila in Italy and they had great snow, shouls be fine early April.

Off to Whistler when you are talking about and it is always great over there, they have a 10M base so it is going to take some heat to get rid of that. We have been over there late April and it has been fine. As others have said the runs down to the village can get slushy late on but if you don't fancy it come down the Gondola and miss them out.
snow conditions
Quote:

they have a 10M base so it is going to take some heat to get rid of that.

a few years ago, when the snow in the Alps late season was particularly good, there was a very solid base (though not 10m!) and I was looking forward to epic conditions in April. That was my ignorance. I then discovered that it's only the top few inches you ski on, and if those are slushy or sticky, it matters not a jot how many metres of cold stuff there is underneath. Clearly a decent base of snow is better than just a few inches, you need something cold underneath, but once the weather gets warm, and especially if it doesn't re-freeze overnight, you get spring conditions regardless of the base. That was quite a surprise to me.
snow conditions
grass !
snow report
Go to whistler

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html
http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec4.html

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp2.html
http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec2.html
latest report
James the Last, The 3 Valleys will have some great skiing. Have been there early April every year for the past 7-8 years for the British champs and never skied on grass. Had a mixture of fresh powder to great spring snow to hard pack. So many miles to ski too and also quiet pistes then.
I have booked an apartment in Meribel from 26th March to 9th April this year but no longer need it for the 2nd week, 2nd to 9th April.
Sleeps 4 and is the closest apartment block to Chaudanne. Cost me €500 for the week, but open to offers to have it.
PM me if you're interested.
snow report
Jake43, I'm not too sure about a 10m base. Maybe 10m accumulated snowfall over the season?

But if I was booking late in the Alps I might consider Italy which has actually seen some very good snowfall in parts this season.
ski holidays
Sticky snow http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64018
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Jake43, I'm not too sure about a 10m base. Maybe 10m accumulated snowfall over the season?

But if I was booking late in the Alps I might consider Italy which has actually seen some very good snowfall in parts this season.

Yep, their website says they have a 325cm base - which is still pretty good! It's only the state of the snow at the top of it which matters though.
latest report
Thanks for thoughts.

I had been thinking 3V or Tignes as height will help even if nothing else does.

But what about Italy which I see has achieved two recommendations here and I know has had rather more snow than elsewhere. Where to go in Italy? We will need some sympathetic tuition for a couple of near beginners. Oh yes, and a Spa in the resort for one of the party.

pam w wrote:

I then discovered that it's only the top few inches you ski on

Errr, I have a great vision of pam w rushing down a slope, only the bobble on the top her hat showing as she skis at a level 5 feet down...
latest report
I am so hoping it stays cold. I hate boarding on slush.

In fact, I would probably just not bother going out and abuse my liver.

Fortunately, height is my liver's friend, even if the weather turns against it.
snow report
Quote:

I have a great vision of pam w rushing down a slope, only the bobble on the top her hat showing as she skis at a level 5 feet down..

Laughing I naively thought that if there was such a good depth of solid snow, somehow the top bit would be OK. Wrong. wink You live and learn. Another thing I've learnt about april skiing is that generally speaking, aspect is (once you're above about 1600m in the northern French Alps) more important than altitude.

The little pictures on meteo France showing snow depths in the different mountain areas on north and south facing slopes are most instructive (and generally show that the Beaufortain has amongst the best depths wink. Practically always better than the Haute Tarentaise).

Looks like Italy's going to get the best of the next round of snow - again. See the weather outlook thread.

Wait till about 29 March. Good luck.
snow conditions
Snow is a good insulator - something to do with all that trapped air. So it can be ankle deep in water on top of permafrost - just ask the polar bears!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy