Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what car to hire (3 x boarders 1 x skier - with equipment)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Probably a silly question, but we normally use a shared transfer companies rather than hiring a car - so new to this side of things.

We are 4 x blokes with 3 x snowboard bags & 1 x ski bag (plus a few odds and ends) - what sized hire-car do you think we can get away with.

I notice that hire companies offer ski-racks as options - but I'm guessing these are those magnetic jobs and won't take snowboards (?). Plus, even if they do take snowboards, we'll still have 3 x big coffin-style snowboard bags filled with clothes/gear to fit in.

Any recommendations?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i fit 4, 2 boards and 2 sets of skis into my civic at the weekend
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not email them about ski racks - I don't have a clue what they will offer.
Don't forget about snow tyres/chains - they often charge a lot extra for that too. Which country are you talking about? How far are you likely to want to drive?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We use an inflatable roof rack.

It works well provided there are no dangly bits to rub on the roof.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis,
Looks interesting, how easy is it to attach skis?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, you must have excellent spacial-awareness ... I'm impressed! Cool

I used to have a Civic, but don't think I'd have been able fit it all in. (Bear in mind the board bags will be full of all their clothes/gear, so will take up a fair amount of room - plus skis, plus a bit of luggage - so it's a fair amount of gear).

snowball, I'll be travelling from Geneva to France (about an 1.5hrs journey). We're going right at the end of April (Easter weekend) so will snow tyres still be needed this late?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
4 people with ski gear is probably going to need a people carrier. You might get away with a small people carrier (Merivia, Zafira etc) or an estate with a roof rack.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, there are 5 D-rings along the top of each 'rack' and it comes complete with two long straps. Between us we have two ski tubes and two ski bags - one double. We just lay them between the D-rings and then wind the straps up and down between them. Now that we have the hang of it, two of us can usually manage all of that as fast as the other three can work out how to play with the back seats and squeeze all the luggage in.

We've also managed six pairs of skis, naked - so to speak - on the roof whilst we squeezed six bodies and associated touring gear into a Renault Grand Scenic for the return to the hotel at the end of a tour. Five plus all luggage is just comfortable in a Grand Scenic or Zafira.

Comme Ça:

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 9-03-11 13:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, Cheers we usually go as two families in a nine seater van from airport and carry adult skis inside but there is not enough room for all skis and luggage with eight pairs of skis so usually rent. But rental prices are getting ridiculous so am thinking of getting second hand skis for the kids and sticking them on top, looks like this might be the answer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fiat Cinquecento - skis down the middle between the front seats and tow the snowboards behind with a rope.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj,

3 years ago we fitted 4 adults, 2 snowboards+boots, 1 pair of skis+boots and 3 suitcases/bags inside an Opel/Vauxhall Astra estate (not roof/ski racks), travelling from salzburg to Kitzbuhel.
It was tight but it worked.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lets be honest it doesnt matter what you ask for you always get a citreon c4 picasso. Which will fit all your stuff in without the need for a roofrack. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yes, forgot to add hired a golf three times this season. C4 Picasso every time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like the idea of using a handirack - haven't thought of that before. Does is weight much or take up a lot of space, including pump, when it's deflated?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In it's bag, the Handirack weighs 2.36kg complete with pump and straps. Volume-wise, it's something like a big box of cornflakes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy