Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The real story about chalet girls (Grauniad)

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/08/chalet-girl-the-real-story

The article seems to get close to reality eventually.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"So many people judge you [in London]," she says. "It's completely different round here."
Laughing Laughing Laughing Yeah, right.

They're not 'chalet girls' either - they've been 'staff' for years.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mission~: write 2000 words of utter pap to justify expenses for a skiing holiday, you cannot admire the journalism but you have to take you hat off to the quality of the scam Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice bit of writing actually...

Quote:
Others think they are posh morons who go and work in the French Alps every year from December to April, where they burn toast and get chlamydia

well that certainly sums up one ex of mine from 1985...

Quote:
I promised I wouldn't discuss the guests so I will merely say they are a blur with 26 legs that gets steadily very drunk on brandy.

I think we've all been there...

Quote:
After three days in Méribel, I am sure the chalet girl myth – on a bender, under a stranger – is a terrible exaggeration, born of envy and lust. They are fairly normal, even a bit dull and – although the odd bray from a Barbour jacket is sometimes detectable in Jack's – bang in the middle of the class system. The skiing was an early clue. Most of the girls I meet are – of all things – athletic. They have nice skin, and they function, which is more than I did when I was 19.

Seems fair.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

where they burn toast and get chlamydia

well that certainly sums up one ex of mine from 1985...

Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
? I struggle a bit with the opening line!
Quote:

I am in Méribel, a tiny resort in the French Alps.
Wonder what a large resort looks like rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, La Rosiere Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Jordan is from Cirencester and is off to university

Jef's long lost daughter, found. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, thinking about it, it was 1984, and I was just as much of a slapper as her back then. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, it's an unfortunate choice of words, but to someone who has never been to a ski resort before it would appear tiny. Most cotswold villages are bigger than Meribel town centre.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
off the record, other girls tell tales of being asked to serve dinner topless and – once – spank a client's naked bottom with, of all things, a cucumber. And she did it.

Yeah! What a night that was. I asked for aubergine, but cucumber was all they had available.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
> Yeah! What a night that was. I asked for aubergine, but cucumber was all they had available.

and of course they weren't spanking your bottom with the cucumber, I pity the person who ate it afterwards.

> After three days in Méribel, I am sure the chalet girl myth – on a bender, under a stranger – is a terrible exaggeration,

the "under a stranger" is maybe, ski resorts are a bit incestuous and generally they would be under, or on top of, another season worker.

in the same article we read this though

> They OD on booze and boys, and have to be shipped home, because you can only survive without sleep at this altitude for so long.

looks like she's covering all bases. I remember shipping a few home because they were pregnant.

They do get fat though! Figure one dress size for every season they work.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
After three days in Méribel, I am sure the chalet girl myth – on a bender, under a stranger – is a terrible exaggeration

Yep that's only the nannys - Chalet staff usually just shag other seasonairres.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chalet girls were posher in the old days of smaller companies.

They all claimed cordon bleu credentials and had names like Arabella and Camilla.

Supertravel had the best-looking ones.

Then Bladon Lines - which was a comparatively big outfit - was taken over by Crystal and chalets went mainstream. No more traipsing over to Earls Court/ Fulham to pick up tickets from some crowd you had never heard of before. Sunday Times had all the late offers in pre-internet days and then you just phoned around. David Goldsmith could probably give you chapter and verse on all this.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchico,
Quote:

They all claimed cordon bleu credentials and had names like Arabella and Camilla.

Supertravel had the best-looking ones.

Well, there's a thing. I worked a season for Supertravel, but didn't quite fulfil all those criteria. In fact, I didn't fulfil any of them. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Then Bladon Lines - which was a comparatively big outfit - was taken over by Crystal and chalets went mainstream.

Thought it was Inghams that took over Bladon Lines?
snow report
Hurtle, What year? Maybe standards had slipped by then?

By the way, I was impressed by the way Tanya Gold worked 'the blood libel' into an article about skiing.
snow report
Latchico, in the 70s.
ski holidays
I think anyone wanting to really get to grips with how a season can pan out needs to read the "Belle de Neige" blog. Sincere warning ... not for the faint hearted, anyone who objects to very sweary language or probably anyone with offspring currently working a season.
latest report
Hurtle I am surprised then.

Not that I ever used Supertravel - too expensive for me. Small World and the like pushed the 'cordon bleu' thing in the 80s.
snow report
''It's the bit where the poor chalet girl, who is in love with the posh guest, tells him: "You'll go back to your world and I'll go back to mine." "What are they talking about?" he asks me, looking completely amazed. "They are both from Putney." He's right. They really are.''

There is Putney and there is Putney. She might be from the Roehampton council estate end and own a hard dog. Fulham is the same. Plenty of ordinary folk from there, before Jill Dando and co. moved in. Dodgy geezers like John Bindon for example.
ski holidays
Quote:

Chalet girls were posher in the old days of smaller companies

Like air hostesses.
snow report
pam w, Good point. People used to dress up to get on a plane. No shuffling on board in a T shirt. Plane travel still had a certain excitement to it.
snow report
Latchico wrote:
Plane travel still had a certain excitement to it.

Mostly due to the free, unlimited drinks!
ski holidays
Latchico, the real point is that only the posh could afford it. wink
ski holidays
ctskifam, thanks for that link. Very funny.
ski holidays
Well bang goes that fantasy Sad
ski holidays
The chalet girls are tame its the nannies you want to worry about.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, you got the right. One memorable trip to Mayrhofen 10 years ago springs to mind.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy