Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recomendations good skiing from 26th march on. Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and i are keen as for the snow and are planing to go skiing/boarding from about the 26th of march for our honeymoon

We have a car an were gonna leave london around the 23rd. We plan to go up untill easter snow permitting

We were thinking to goto the Dolomites? Can anybody give any insight to the conditions at this time an how the season going?

Is driving a good option? an where can you recommend to stay? We are looking for cheap/reasonably priced but nice an like to be close to lifts if poss.

We would appreciate any feedback at all please as we are so excited about this trip but a little worried its a bit late in the season an wanted some good advice to find some good snow an slopes!!!

Thanks

VJB
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. As it stands, some of the ski areas will close their lifts after 10th April. These areas are ALta Badia (Corvara, La Villa, San Cassiano, Colfosco), Val gardena (Selva, Ortisei, St Christina), Val Di Fassa, Arraba so your chances of skiing up until Easter will probably not be possible in these particular areas.

2. Having a car with you in the Dolomites is an excellant option as it allows you to visit the different ski areas more easily (weather permitting) all on the same Dolomiti Superski pass. However the Dolomites are a long drive from the UK but in my opinion it will be worth it for the scenery alone.

3. Probably the most convenient places to stay would be Selva, Corvara or Canazei.

4. Cheap/Reasonably priced. Prices in Canazei or any of the other Val Di fassa villages (Campitello, Pozza Di fassa, Vigo Di Fassa) are cheaper than in Val gardena or Alta badia. However at the time you are going, a lot of the accomodation everywhere will have their cheapest prices then and a lot of accomodations participate in the Dolomiti Supersun promotion where you get 7 nights accomodation for the price of 6 and 6 days ski pass for the price of 5. Therefore I am sure you will find a price to suit you almost anywhere you stay.

5. Conditions. Recent forum posters indicate that the conditions are still fine in the Dolomites. However no one knows what the conditions will be like around the 26th as that is still 2 1/2 weeks away and anything can happen between now and then.

6. If you are worried about the conditions at that time of year, why not leave it till closer to the time and choose a resort with good conditions then. I'm sure you will be able to book somewhere easily at the last minute.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome, thats some very good info thankyou. I will research the places you have mentioned now.

Is snow commonly down to the village at this time(i realsie it can change at any time) as i dont have snow tyres at the mo but was going to get them fitted. I guess its better to have them than to not?

If the snow does fail at the dolomites can you recomend any where else you think may preform?

Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
VJB, I agree with all Jimmybog's points, but no. 6 is the best advice, there will be spare accommodation at that time.

The sun will be getting strong, so lower runs could well be suffering (slushy and cut up in the afternoon). If you go to Selva in Val Gardena (easiest valley to get to from UK), you may want to drive up to Plan de Gralba and ski above there where the snow will be best. Equally you could hit on a cool, snowy period and practically have the place to yourselves in glorious snow conditions.

I can't see snow tyres being necessary in Italy at that time of year, esp if you aren't crossing high passes. Any snow will melt straight away on the roads. even in midwinter it takes a lot to make the valley roads impassable. Austria is another matter entirely, there are very strict regulations in force there that require them until at least 15th April.

If the Dolomites do start looking iffy you could always backtrack to Austria (Ischgl, the Arlberg, Solden, Obergurgl usually enjoy good late season conditions).

Keep watching those weather/snow reports!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy