Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Q for Beanie 1 re Eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
Hi , could you check on something rather specific. I have a friend who races to a high standard and would like to take the Eurotest to "put it in the bank" before going through the BASI system. but at the moment this person has an ASSI and an APC1 and heard that you can only take the ET if you are a BASI member.

Is this true or can anyone rock up and take the ET
If true what is the minimum BASI you would need to have? (full member or associate ?)
Would completing an L1 coach or L1 Alpine course qualify?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be interested in the answer to this too Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sideshow_Bob, yeah but you suck NehNeh
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, Sideshow_Bob,

I'll find out!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I'd like to get better before I get too old to have a chance of passing it Neh Neh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sideshow_Bob, i might be old but fat is fast wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
i might be old but fat is fast wink

Fat maybe fast, but not always in the right direction wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, very true !! I mostly suck and only feel fast when exiting a course in disgrace and out of control !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I checked with Dave Renouf and you need to be L2 as minimum, or join the system of one of the other Eurogroup countries.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, thanks for checking on this snowHead I will pass it on to my mate. Shame a coach L1 wont do....

ps.. is there any thoughts of putting all these Q and A's you have been so good to get for us on SH's onto a FAQ's page on the members part of the BASI site? would be really useful imo
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, rob and i are chatting about this and want to know something else. After successful completion of the L1 alpine or coach course, shadowing hours, first aid CPM etc do you become a full BASI member?

if not why not?
and if so as a full member why could you not apply to take the ET?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
After successful completion of the L1 alpine or coach course, shadowing hours, first aid CPM etc do you become a full BASI member?

Yes you do after L1 Coach.

Quote:
and if so as a full member why could you not apply to take the ET?

L1 Coach is one module of the L3/ISIA requirement, but not of the L2 (instructor). So it could be argued that L1 Coach is in excess of the L2 (instructor) minimum level in the heirarchy, and so not inconsisent with that previous reply?

L1 (instructor) I guess is a more difficult argument.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
L1 instructor now qualifies for full membership, since several months ago (same time as L1 coach qualified too).

Coach and instructor are supposed to be 2 separate heirarchies and in my experience and that of others I know L1 coach is definitely less demanding than L2 instructor technically. May not be in the future though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so an L1 full BASI alpine member is not allowed to take the ET module ??? italians take it before entering their system, french anytime after their first module... hmm....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, can you ask BASI why an L1 coach or Instructor full member cannot take the ET?
snow report
skimottaret, I would be interested too
ski holidays
Surely its because the L1's are at such a low standard, many only do that level and then discontinue BASI.

Also having the level 2 + eurotest got me in to the ESF, level 1 + ET would have got me nothing. so maybe its an older rule since before the test tech came in?
snow report
jjc james, my friend is a current FIS racer and would like to get on the BASI pathway, but has used all annual leave on attending races so would like to do an L1 indoors in the London area, then take the ET next season. i wouldnt assume all L1's are of a low technical standard, you got to start somewhere. wink

entry to ESF isnt the issue but my mate figures might as well do the ET now before deciding on spending years and 10's of K's on courses.....
snow report
skimottaret, will ask.
latest report
skimottaret, is he eligible for an exemption still being a racer, if he doesn't know get him to ring the office they have a exemption criteria. I think the one i have may be old as i've not looked for one in a while.

Yeah but think about this way, i teach many people that could probably get their level 1 indoors, some of them having only skied a couple of weeks (i passed the L1 snowboard after 6-7 days on a board). Would you as an organisation (basi) feel happy to let them (with no form of validation other than an indoor L1) loose on a ET course? A bit dangerous i think.
latest report
jjc james, dont think points are quite good enough for an exemption...
beanie1, thanks snowHead
latest report
skimottaret,

"The ADC Level 1 is not permitted to take the Eurotest because the Coaching scheme is not recognised as a standalone qualification on the recognition chart of the French. The French only accept the BASI L2. At this stage there is nothing BASI can do about this because this is written in French law."

I have asked what therefore stops the candidate entering the Eurotest outside France.
snow conditions
beanie1, merci or danke more appropriately wink
ski holidays
If you have less than 100 FIS Points (Men) you get an exemption from the Eurotest
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy