Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6 Days Skiing in Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
A week back (nearly) now from a week in Alpe D'Huez, and I thought I would open my account on this website by doing a quick review.

Took a school party of 54 kids and 6 big kids skiing and boarding to Alpe D'Huez, leaving Lincoln at 2am Sunday 20th Feb. We got into resort, via Geneva, at 3pm local time and were greeted by a fantastically friendly staff at the Hotel Belle Aurore, thanks to the company repping us.

That night we sorted out ski hire in the in house ski shop, and by Monday morning we were all ready to go.

I had skied before, for two weeks - however that was six years ago so I was feeling somewhat nervous in front of the kids - what a way to ruin all those hourse of hard work trying to create a serious impression of yourself in a classroom!

By the end of the second day - in which we encountered poor visibility whilst over in the beautiful (as I found out later in the week) Vaujiny area - I felt like I had completely re-discovered my ski legs and was looking forward to a good week.

I was skiing with the school's top group, led ably by one of the ESF's (beautiful) instructors and she led us around reds and blues for the large majority of the week. I really enjoyed the skiing, and although snow conditions weren't great, the instructor made sure that our 6 hours a day skiing were varied and worthwhile. All skiiers made good progression and most really enjoyed their time.

On the last day we were taken to the very top of Pic Blanc, and although we didn't head down tunnel (which I secretly was very happy about) we did wave at it as we went past and headed off down the rest of the rather more serene black.

A good week had by all, and a very tired group of teachers this last week at work.

One problem though - our school only goes once every two years, and I now have the bug. I am finding it difficult to find an affordable break for next February half term. Any ideas/suggestions or tips (I am thinking of possibly some UK skiing???) greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martin0201, Welcome to Snowheads, a great way to introduce yourself. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Any ideas/suggestions or tips

My suggestion would be to look at an Easter trip, not half term - less expensive and busy. Some discussions going on at the moment about good choices for Easter skiing would be useful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
martin0201, wot pam w said. Easter is early April next year so even a teacher should be able to sneak in a week taking in Good Friday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you do go in February half term:-
- do a DIY holiday
- book a flight as soon as they are released (most important)
- book accommodation in a resort within travelling distance of airport
- book transfer

This way I've been to Zermatt, Laax and St Anton at half term for the last 3 years. Very good prices for each.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice folks. Really needs to be February half term as cricket starts with seriousness at the start of April, so don't want to be missing too much of that (many plates are kept spinning!!!)

Colin - Quick run down of the three resorts possible?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martin0201, peak season rep for a TO. It can be hard work, but cheap skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martin0201, Zermatt - Upmarket International Swiss resort, very high skiing over into Cervinia in Italy also, not cheap. Laax - Swiss resort in east of country, plenty of skiing for all, not expensive by Swiss standards. St Anton - International lively Austrian resort with plenty of piste and off piste skiing, not cheap by Austrian standards. Flew to Zurich to access all 3. From the sound of your skiing I would say Laax would be the most suitable but these were really just examples of what is possible. I paid £400 - 450 each for 2 of us (daughter and me) for flight + transfer plus SC accommodation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending how good you are at blagging, if you contact the ski company *cough*skibound*cough that you used this year and suggest you may be taking another group of students but you'd like to sample another hotel or resort they may very well offer you a heavily reduced long weekend or even week.

However, that didn't come from me! Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin - thanks for the tips, will have a look at Laax and St Anton. Smile

Manic PB - By any chance, how did you know that was who we went with this year? And I had considered that as an option. . . you think it could really work? wink

Elizabeth - Great as that would be, giving up a job as a teacher probably ain't worth it! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austria over new year DIY? I have done some very cheap deals over new year in schladming and radstadt - there are a lot of small b&b etc which don't up the prices as much as Tour Operators do as they are chasing a less mass market audience. Can recommend either town, or pretty much anywhere in "ski amade" which is the branding for the whole area - it's not as easy as ski in/out french megaresorts, but there is plenty of variety, excellent bus services between the areas, great equipment for hire and it's fun to try different hills every day. Flights are ryanair to salzburg - from there you can hit loads of places. Probably works at half term too but never tried it so can't say for sure what prices/availability would be like.

aj xx
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh and this is what Elizabeth means - rep jobs for just half term and/or easter

http://www.pgl.co.uk/PGLWeb/Recruitment/locations-and-job-roles/job-roles/Ski-Rep

Teachers have a better than normal chance of landing one, as they really want folks with a lot of experience with industrial sized groups of children Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
martin0201, as a.j. says, a number of companies take on staff for 1 or 2 weeks a year to rep for school groups. A lot depends on the group you get as to how much hard work it is. Having a language is an advantage, but not necessary. They want people with experience of working with kids, who are able to take responsibility for organisation and working alone. Depending on the resort you are in, you may be the only staff member for that company there, which is why teachers will often get the jobs ahead of students!!

I have done this role for the past few years (I could only afford 2 weeks holiday and wanted 3), so if you want any more info then PM me with any questions. I'll also give you my opinion on which companies treat their reps best!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martin0201, welcome to snowheads. Really good to see teachers are still taking children to the slopes - and your report was very interesting. I avoid skiing at half-term - so am not best qualified to comment specifically on where to go, but February offers you a very wide range of resorts. A word of warning: St Anton can be stunningly expensive. Resorts such as Serre Chevalier, Flaine in France, or anywhere in the Salzburger Sportwelt area (in Austria - Scladming mentioned by a.j. is part of it) would offer you a lot at your skiing level you've described, and be less likely to break the bank.

Mind you, the repping role described above might well appeal, of course.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, I disagree on St Anton. Having spent half term week there I found the prices to be on a par with a middling french resort. 4 - 5 euros for a beer, decent lunch on the mountain 10 - 15, good main course at night for about 15 too. We didn't go anywhere swanky but ate pretty well. Probably high by Austrian standards but pretty good in the scheme of things.
latest report
Colin B, fair enough, its been two or three years since I have been there. Back in the early nineties, it was a licence to lose money - though both the partying and the skiing were great, of course.
snow report
achilles, Skiing was good but didn't really do any partying I was with my daughter. The only afternoon we tried the Mooserwirt we left before it got going. We did go in the Kandahar Bar every afternoon after skiing to use the wifi and there was a very good band on, not many people in there though. We'd had dinner and were back in the apartment by 8.30 usually.
snow conditions
Colin B, times gone by - walking up the slope in the evening to a mountain restaurant - having a great meal then standing on the tables singing - then toboganning down in the dark to be greeted at the bottom with a glass of schnapps, then on to a piano bar to chuckout time at 0230. Happy days. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
achilles, I'm not surprised you found it expensive then Very Happy

Toboggan run was closed last week, too icy.

I've got a photo I think of you singing in Smokey Joes, not on the table though.
snow report
martin0201,
Can you not find time in the christmas holidays?
latest report
martin0201,
The methods suggested by Colin B, are spot on. All the resorts he suggests are very nice but although he obviously got good deals in each you will find St A expensive by Austrian standards and most Swiss resorts expensive by Austrian/ Italian standards. If looking for flights Ryanair is often not the cheapest in Feb school holidays. If you book early (maybe now) the big carriers are often suprisingly reasonable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy