Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll roadworks?

Poster: A snowHead
During our holiday to Scheffau last week we had a trip to Soll one day and noticed there seems to be some major kind of roadworks in progress.

Out of curiosity does anyone know what they're doing or when it's likely to be finished?

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were staying right next to that in the Rubin hotel (above the Red Horse bar) last week, and were trying to work that out too...

Looked like they were preparing the area with pipes and/or foundations. Maybe for a new hotel/building?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
they are putting an under pass to take the busy traffic underneath Soll.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, underpass. Accident prone area!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see.

Any idea when its going to be finished? We were thinking of Soll for next year but must admit I thought all the roadworks, cranes etc were a bit of an eye sore.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can't see the cranes while you're skiing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that the completion date is about autumn 2012, so they'll still be working for one more winter. I'm not sure how much of the roadworks you can see from the village, maybe depends where you are.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see today in the Tiroler Tageszeitung (in German) that the new tunnel for the Loferer Strasse in Söll should be opened for traffic next month. I presume all the cranes will be gone before the winter. Although some other work is still planned (I'm not exactly sure where), I imagine this will make the crossing from the village to the skiing area much easier next season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone been to Soll yet this season? Is the tunnel open yet?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tim M wrote:
Anyone been to Soll yet this season? Is the tunnel open yet?
Newbie here going to Soll in Feb 2012 but staying near in Auracher Lochl. So hopefully not getting caught up in the road works. Going well off the subject of road works is it mandatory to use ski helmets yet in Austria this is the first time for us for quite a few years but really looking forward to Feb 2012.

Thanks

Rob.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim M, The link espri posted in summer ^^^ says that it is finished and open to traffic. So Söll will be a lot quieter and it should be easier crossing from slope side to the main village.

Enjoy your holiday we have had snow now non-stop since Thursday night and it does not seem to be stopping in the near future. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tim M, Passed through Soll quite a few times last week, and yes there is a big underpass/tunnel there. No roadworks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim M wrote:
During our holiday to Scheffau last week....

Know not relevant to your question but am interested to know what your thoughts were on scheffau as its somewhere the OH and I have considered for a couple of years (as seems to often crop up on the last min holiday deals) but we've ended up going elsewhere. We know the ski welt is a massive area and just wondered if you may be able to post your feedback on how you found it for your abilities, where u stayed, what slopes like etc. Would be really helpful. Ta! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post re the roadworks etc in soll it was very helpful.

Looking forward to getting back there after so many years.

We have recently been to Leitariegos near Leon Spain. Small resort but just enough to teach my wife and for me to get my ski legs back.

Thanks again Tim. Oh yes do you have to wear a ski helmet in Austria now?

Rob.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Firefighteraxe, By far the majority of skiers are wearing them in Austria these days, but they are not compulsory for adults.

The underpass is finished in Söll and life is much easier without all the roadworks.

FiFi_Trixibell, Scheffau is a delightful village with a wide range of accommodation. It gets very busy Sats/Sunday as it is the first resort really on the Ski Welt for the Bavarian day trippers. But the rest of the week there is very little queuing as there are so many access points for the lifts. The village proper is away from the lifts on the other side of the valley but has a really good shuttle bus link to the Brandstadl lifts as well as a blue run from just behind the supermarket.

Toofy Grin
latest report
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
Tim M wrote:
During our holiday to Scheffau last week....

Know not relevant to your question but am interested to know what your thoughts were on scheffau as its somewhere the OH and I have considered for a couple of years (as seems to often crop up on the last min holiday deals) but we've ended up going elsewhere. We know the ski welt is a massive area and just wondered if you may be able to post your feedback on how you found it for your abilities, where u stayed, what slopes like etc. Would be really helpful. Ta! Smile

Scheffau is a beautiful, "picture postcard" alpine village, so if that's the sort of thing you like then go for it.

There is however very little to do there, so if you like lots of bars, clubs etc then it won't be for you. Having said that it's only a short taxi ride to Soll or Ellmau, and not much further to Kitzbuhel.

As for the Skiing, it is in my opinion the best entry point to the Ski welt. It's roughly in the middle so you can easily ski to one of the other resorts and back. Also people who are staying in Schefau can get a lift ticket which gives them priority over day trippers at the gondola station. We were there half term week and never had to queue for more than a few minutes in the morning.

As someone else has mentioned, the village is a short ski bus ride from the slopes, but the buses run regularly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy