Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding in 3rd Week of April

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning to do a short snowboarding trip from the 15th-20th of April, after my business trip to Milan, before I return to Asia. I'm in my late 20's and will be traveling alone. I'm a beginner -I've had a week of snowboarding in January, and intend to hone my recently acquired skills ( i believe I'm a quick learner). My criteria for a resort are - decent snow, some easy slopes, a good social vibe and nightlife.. I also plan to take some more snowboarding classes while I'm there. I've been looking at a few resorts in Austria, Switzerland and France - Ischgl, Solden, Saas Fee and Tignes. I'm open to other suggestions. Saas Fee has the least transfer time from Milan, and seems most affordable. Does anybody know what it's like there? Tignes looks good from all Ive read out here, but accommodation seems not only expensive for a single traveler(min. 115 Euros/night!!), its hard to get a room for only 4 or 5 nights (btw does anybody know how long it takes from Milan to Tignes by train/bus?) Any suggestions, inputs, help would be great..Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The price quoted for Tignes seems really high?

If you're on a budget you could try www.chaletchardons.com
They offer flexible stays.

Sorry can't help with Milan to Tignes. If you can get to either Lyon or Geneva by air, then there are transfer buses
to many resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia not too far from Milan, ticks most of your boxes, maybe with the exception of vibrant nightlife (but no less so than Saas Fee)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I checked out the Chalet Chardons website. But, it looks like they are a 20 min bus ride from main Tignes? Any other hotel recommendations in Tignes that are more central?
@smithski - Saas fee and Cervinia seem to be at equal distance from Milan. They are both high altitude resorts. Would you recommend any one over the other? Nightlife is kind of important.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Tignes try:-
Alpaka
Dragon Lodge
Tignes.co.uk
Tignes-spirit.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
from Milan to tignes on public transport is a bit of a nightmare and will take you whole day, i would agree with Cervinia superb pistes for a realtive beginner and there is some nightlife although at the tie of year it might be a bit quiet. You could also check out Livigno whihc shoudl still have good snow at the time fo the year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
monk029, can't really comment on nightlife in Cervinia or Saas Fee as have never spent a night in either, however at that time of the season almost everywhere will be quieter than normal. If nightlife is important then I'm not too sure Tignes will rock your boat either. Zermatt is not much further than Saas Fee and will probably have a bit more nightlife, or if you are considering the journey to Tignes, why not stay in Val d'Isere ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
monk029 wrote:
I'm planning to do a short snowboarding trip from the 15th-20th of April, after my business trip to Milan, before I return to Asia. I'm in my late 20's and will be traveling alone. I'm a beginner -I've had a week of snowboarding in January, and intend to hone my recently acquired skills ( i believe I'm a quick learner). My criteria for a resort are - decent snow, some easy slopes, a good social vibe and nightlife.. I also plan to take some more snowboarding classes while I'm there. I've been looking at a few resorts in Austria, Switzerland and France - Ischgl, Solden, Saas Fee and Tignes. I'm open to other suggestions. Saas Fee has the least transfer time from Milan, and seems most affordable. Does anybody know what it's like there? Tignes looks good from all Ive read out here, but accommodation seems not only expensive for a single traveler(min. 115 Euros/night!!), its hard to get a room for only 4 or 5 nights (btw does anybody know how long it takes from Milan to Tignes by train/bus?) Any suggestions, inputs, help would be great..Thanks!

Hi,

Seems like you are willing to do snow boarding while in Austria! You should know that Innsbruck is the ideal city due to its location between high mountains, for snow boarding, and mountaineering in summer. There are several ski resorts around Innsbruck with the Nordkette served by a cable car and additional chair lifts further up. The best part is that glaciated terrain in the latter makes skiing possible even in summer months Very Happy
Hope this information will help you alot!

Good luck!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If sharing a room isn't totally out of the question consider UCPA? (look up action outdoors) Not sure if the dates would fit though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aaaah, hadn't seen that you said you could travel to Austria - if that is the case then it's a no brainer. Ischgl. A bit of a trip from Milan though!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks for all the input guys. @smithski - I was told ischgl wouldn't have much skiing that late in the season, and, also that it's not good for beginners. But I'd be okay if they even have a few easy slopes open. I've been checking out accommodation there and it's a real nightmare trying to find something affordable for a single occupant.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
monk029, Ischgl shoudl be good at that time, most of the skiing is above 2000m. Been there a few times and there's plenty of easy stuff (as long as you don't mean nearly flat greeny bits, not a lot of that). Just maybe get the lift down at the end of the day instead of the red runs back to town, whihc can get i) busy and ii) a little tired if there is no fresh snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks for all the advice. I've narrowed it down to Ischgl, Saas-Fee or Livigno. Does anybody know how to get from Milan to Ischgl on public transport? Also, any recommendations on relatively cheap stay in Ischgl?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could either take the train from Milan to 'Domodossola' station then cross the road to the Bus station for the 1 hour breathtaking journey c/w 'Italian job' OMG, mountain road up to Staffa (Macugnaga) or get in touch with, monterosaholidays.net and they will come and get you from Milan.

I've been there twice and the 'Monte Moro' top lift station is at 2900 metres and ideal for late season boarding/skiing. Quiet nightlife though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
monk029, Milan to Ischgl, that's not a journey I'd relish - can't help you on that one. Ischgl doesn;t have vast number of 'cheap' accommodation, you could stay just outside in Mathon or further away in Kappl to keep the costs down, but that's somewhat defeating the objective. You'll get a decent b&b for about £50 pppn in Ischgl, check out the tourist office website.
snow conditions
danie wrote:
monk029 wrote:

Hi,

Seems like you are willing to do snow boarding while in Austria! You should know that Innsbruck is the ideal city due to its location between high mountains, for snow boarding, and mountaineering in summer. There are several ski resorts around Innsbruck with the Nordkette served by a cable car and additional chair lifts further up. The best part is that glaciated terrain in the latter makes skiing possible even in summer months Very Happy
Hope this information will help you alot!

Good luck!

Erm Nordkette isn't glaciated... And there is barely any snow left there now (south facing, and was destroyed by the January foehn and major avalanches at the same time due to rain), let alone by late April. However the Stubai Glacier nearby would be perfect - if you don't mind the hour long bus everyday, and Innsbruck does have ace nightlife.

Tbh, I really doubt any resorts are gonna have good nightlife at that time, most will be wrapping up for the end of the season.
ski holidays
monk029, Tignes would be good if you can get there - checkout Mountainsun who do good value packages and could pick you up if you can get to Geneva (easy fast train from Milan). Tignes will still have about the best snow anywhere round here and there's brilliant instruction available too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy