Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado verses Maine??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My daughters school ski trip (april 2011) has just had the resort changed from Winterpark, Colorado to Sunday River, Maine.
As far as I can see they are like chalk and cheese... can any one give me a heads up on these destinations.
I am concerned that we are being sold a pup!!

cheers
Jon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunday River is great for mountain biking. Skiing wise I'd think you're right but kids skis trips aren't really about snow quality etc but being away wih your mates, different cultural experience etc so maybe not the same as yours. FWIW Bethel is a really cool little New England town, covered bridges, red barns, moose etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I've never been to Sunday River though I live in New England. I don't know the "sold a pup" phrase but at that time of year... April skiing in New England is very iffy. Conditions could be pretty good or it could be very warm and slushy. Of course, Winter Park could also be pretty warm that time of year but I think the chances of good conditions at WP are considerably higher. By reputation, SR has a lot of terrain, they build a good base with snowmaking, do a good job of keeping slopes in shape, etc. They may have a fantastic trip. But it certainly seems a downgrade from Winter Park, IMO.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The skiing in Sunday River is excellent especially for kids, I have skied there a number of times having attending college near there. My father also took a british ski school trip there late March a few years back and they had fantastic conditions; however as per the previous posts the weather in April may be a determining factor. They do have good snowmaking equipment so they will still be able to get plently of skiing in. I would expect that you'd receive some form of refund though as it will be cheaper to ski there than Colorado, even if it was just the flights that have been changed. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys.

thanks for the replies so far...I think that you are confirming my inital thoughts.

to explain...being "sold a pup" - something that isn't worth what you paid for it or doesn't work, particurlarly where the person selling knows the real value.
and at the moment we aren't being offered any sort of compensation or refund (its actually been suggested that some of the non ski activities previously included will now be an extra)

As they are coming out from the UK this isn't a cheap ski trip, and without wishing to Dis' New England (it always looks great in the images we see) or anywhere else, it was Colorados reputation for great snow that made us stretch it. - possibly a once in a life time chance. To me skiing on man made snow doesnot compare to the real stuff, especially as Sunday River is forecast rain so will have an icy base no matter how much they cover it. (unless american snow making is vastly superior to the european alps)

yes the group experience counts for alot but as a large part of the group already ski, i think that they would also appreciate good snow & unfortunately from my memories of school ski trips the cultural experience tends to be a limited to the view from the coach, the hotel & a bit of resort shopping.

cheers
Jon
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A downgrade.

I've skied a fair amount in Canada and the States including some Eastern resorts. If you are going to cross the pond, there is very little point in stoping before you have got to Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Alberta/BC.

Winter Park is on my list to do. Nowhere in the East is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a comparison in European terms I would say IMO that you are being offered a trip to Andorra (any resort) when you initially paid for a trip to France at a snowsure resort. Both are great on their day however if you'd paid to go to France you would be unhappy to be told you are going to Andorra instead. I'd kick up a stink and ask for my money back if it were my kids going. As I said previously It's much cheaper to Ski on the east coast and the conditions are not as good as in the rockies. I have skied into May on the east coast but these days are few and far between. What is the reason for the change by the way?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woof Woof.

WP is one of my favourite US hills. New England just doesn't measure up.

But...............it's a school trip. How well does your daughter ski? Is it likely she'd benefit from access to the terrain that WP has? Could she deal with a lot of powder?

As pointed out above, the off-hill environment at Sunday River may well be better than that at WP (Not much at the hill, and the town's a bus-ride away and not much to write home about anyway).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it helps, my daughters' schools annual trip is to Lincoln, New Hampshire. One just came back from half term trip - great conditions - loved it. The other went last year at Easter - rubbish conditions - but still loved it. Both are good intermediate skiers and boarders and have skiied Utah, Espace Killy, Trois Vallee etc. They still loved it. As above - its about mates together without parents...How about a trip to the "other side" if yours is a skier or a snowboarder but not both - mine learnt boarding during three days of whiteout at Val Disere.

Meanwhile - it sounds a bit dodgy process if nothing else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would have thought the SR trip would be cheaper, (if only from a flight perspecitve) any body offered some cash back?

Skied WP not bad for a US resort, some of the best moguls I've ever skied where on "Mary Jane". Would imagine SR smaller, so that means really small from a European perspecitve.

So in answer, yep its a "pup" from a pure skiing perspective, espcially in April.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
let's compare recent snow history

Sunday River

Winter Park

to sum it up... I would be going absolutely nuts and demanding a better alternative or refund at least.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When in April is it? Because honestly, there's a chance that there could be no skiing in Maine towards the end of the month. In a normal year there'd be halfway decent spring skiing until about April 15th, but that's no guarantee. Some years the New England season can go into late May & other years it's finished in early April. Places in CO have the greater elevation which makes them more snow-sure in April even in shorter/warmer seasons.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys

you have all pretty much confirmed my thinking on this.
we have not yet had any explanation as to why this change has been sprung on us.
needless to say we are not very happy and are taking it up with the school / tour co.

will keep the forum posted on developments

many thanks
JonA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy