Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

complete newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all Very Happy

Just started learning to ski at the snowdome in Milton Keynes I’m 31 and never even been on a ski till now

My first lesson my body, legs and mind all worked against me bolt upright and straight legs just was’nt working , waving arms just did’nt help at all either…….lol rolling eyes , but slowly I began to relax and things got better ,but still having to think hard about what to do and when the less I though about it the easier it got, but still having trouble twisting my ankles it’s hard work
I’m now have 5 hours of skiing experience , mastered the plough and can now do plough turns, next I’m onto linked plough turns ,will find out what that involves Monday on my next lesson the longer i spend there the more comfortable i feel so it's only time till i get the hang of it snowHead

Any advice anyone can give a complete novice would very much be appreciated

Andy2005
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ANDY2005, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

Sounds like you're the persevering type; you'll get that bit better with each lesson and will be eager to take on the next challenge (you'll never run out of them!).

Do you have any trips to the mountains planned? - that will definitely get you hooked beyond recall, like the rest of us!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ANDY2005, welcome to snowHeads. Sounds like you're already streets ahead of some of the regular posters here. People like PG, David Goldsmith, DG Orf, ise and all the rest, they can't even snowplough properly yet. They'll be coming to you for advice just you wait to see.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ANDY2005, Welcome to snowHead 's

Keep persevering, and keep taking lessons. You will suddenly reach a point where everything falls into place.

Plan a trip, as this will give you somthing to look forward to.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ANDY2005, You can learn a lot on the dry ski slope nowadays. As per other posts I strongly recommend that you persevere for a few hours of lessons. When you finally get out to try the "white stuff" proper, you will find less resistance than the artificial slope, but hopefully will master this and move into ski class class 2 on your first ski holiday lesson avoiding the complete novice class. Thereby you will progress more quickly, and be hooked on ski-ing within no time at all, and ultimately getting excellent value for money out off your first ski-ing holiday. I started at the age of 29 and am still going (sort of) at 63!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ANDY2005,
Hi,

I had a few lessons on a dry slope which is not as forgiving as MK IMO. But get the basics right and the transition to real snow will be easier. I am not an expert on the snow at MK but I would expect it to be grippier typically. On the real stuff you will get all kinds of surfaces which you will have to adapt to but your course of lessons wil prepare you for this better than anything other than the real stuff
so you are definitely doing the right thing IMO.
It will save you a lot of time in the first few days as the whole thing will not be too alien too you, ie what are these boots/binding things, how to stand up on the skis and move around etc etc... You can get into ski school and get further up the hill quicker into your hol'

Of course, as laundryman says it is all downhill from now on as skiing tends to take over your life.

As it should be...!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ANDY2005, bet you wish you started at 11! I do! Still, you're plenty young enough to get plenty good enough to have plenty of fun. MK has got to be the best place to do it anywhere near where you are. You actually do get a small variety of snow conditions in there so it's actually quite translatable to some goodish real mountain piste conditions. Certainly you'll have no problems transferring what you've learnt onto the easier slopes on a real mountain in average conditions.

Seems obvious really, but I'm told the way to progress quickly is to not stop having decent lessons in the early part of your skiing life (meaning first several weeks) and then to keep having them fairly regularly in order to continue to get better.

Main thing though, keep having a great time Very Happy

Oh, and welcome to snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ANDY2005, welcome to snowHeads, one simple tip, you often hear the classic bend the knees which typically results in people sitting back on their skis usually followed by them falling over, instead think about bending the ankles and keeping your torso upright, this will cause the knees to bend in the correct location and give you better balance (you should feel the front of your shins pressing against the inside of the ski boot. As a beginner your body should be either over your ski boots or slightly foward of them, never behind.

Second tip, make sure your ski boots fit well, they have to transfer the movement from your body to the skis and badly fitting boots won't do this, the boots should be a snug fit arround the foot (with the toes free to wiggle) and lower calf muscle. If they are to loose then the skis will be uncontrolabele, if to tight then your feet will be in agony and you won't be able to concentrate on the skiing, it should feel like a nicely fitted walking boot or like someone has a firm grip of your foot.

Lastly please ignore Ray Zorro, PG lives in the alps as does ise, I've been skiing for over 30 years and we suspect that David Goldsmith may have been skiing in the last ice age, sorry David Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ANDY2005, Welcome to Snowheads !! snowHead

I must admit - I think you have come to the wrong place for advice - except for the legend that is.......easiski !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ANDY2005, Welcome to snowHeads.

My advice to a newbie skiing addict is to get themsleves a sponsor, or at least a selection of credit cards snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ANDY2005, welcome to snowHead - you'vemade a good start!! If you're anything like me you'll become completely addicted to this forum which is brilliant fun. Often contentious, frequently informative and sometimes infuriating, but never dull! Laughing You'll have the opportunity to meet other Snowheads from time to time either on UK soil or over here in the Alps - they're all really nice people (the ones I've met anyway). If you can get away how about joining us for the pre season bash weekend? See snowEvents forum. eEvans is deparate for another novice to join in, and the glacier area is easy and wide - ideal for your first foray onto the real thing!

Keep up with the lessons at MK, but be prepared that when you get onto a real ski slope it will all seem a bit overwhelming for the first day. Real snow is different but similar, and of course the pistes are much longer and therefore gravity exerts a greater influence on you. Most of the advice above is very good, and at least one of the people mentioned actually CAN'T do a good snowplough - but I'm not telling you which one!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Have fun - it's the best activity since sliced bread!

Paul Mason, Kind words, thank you, but not at all sure about "legend" too much responsibility for me! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, well I know I can snowplough and as DG used to teach I guess he can
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

easiski,
at least one of the people mentioned actually CAN'T do a good snowplough

Then there's probably no hope for the rest of us either.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, A good snowplough is surprisingly difficult for experienced skiers - watch how many sit right back and get hip-ache! Shock
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ANDY2005, Welcome to snowheads. Very Happy

Get to the mountains ASAP!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

If you think its fun at the Snowdome you’re in for a real treat. The scenery, on the whole, is absolutely breathtaking, group lessons are a fun way of making new friends and if you’ve any energy left for Après, then that’s the icing on the cake!

I don’t really have any advice as I've only been skiing 5 years (started at 40) but . . . relax and enjoy!
latest report
Hi Andy, glad you joined me here, now I have even more company!!!.

I can reiterate with the above, all good advice there, we will make a skier out of you yet!!!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
thankyou all for the advice i try and take it all on board and
remember it next time i'm hurtling down the slope Laughing

hi anne your the reason i'm learning in the first place Very Happy don't worry soon be able to join you snowHead

andy2005
ski holidays
Quote:

thankyou all for the advice i try and take it all on board

I thought you were learning to ski? Puzzled
ski holidays
ANDY2005, sell everything, give up your job, move to the mountains. Might as well get it all done in one fell swoop, rather than give in to the madness bit by bit like the rest of us.
latest report
Im also 31 and took my first ski lesson the other week. I paid for the Ski in a day lesson at the Castleford Exscape. It turnes out on that day I was the only person on the course snowHead . I passed level 4 by 12.30 (only 2 hours skiing) and by 3 I was carving down the slope like I'd done it for years (or so my instructor told me).

I totaly loved it and cant wait to go again. Im going to Austria over Christmas (looking forward to decent length runs) so will be having a few trips down to Excape over the next few months to brush up some more.

Im a fairly fit guy, I play squash at least 3 times a week and football in the football season. So the full day (even though it was my first time) didnt realy make my as tired as I thought it would.

I put that down to all the lunging etc you do when playing squash.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 9-08-05 15:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Renry, Welcome & well done - let's hope you get as much enjoyment from ski-ing as the rest of us!! Very Happy
latest report
In my first 2 hours of skiing, I couldn't even snowplough, let alone carve. It took me like, 4-6 hours to be able to snowplough properly, so you're lucky. I hope you have fun in Austria - nothing compares to skiing in the mountains, so if you enjoy it now, you will come back totally hooked!
snow conditions
Renry,
How about joining all the snowHead 's at Castleford for the ski test, Sat 20th,
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6972
snow conditions
Thats a week to late for me Im affraid. My weekend at work. Im skiing there on Friday this week, and could have made this Satuday aswell.

Never mind, I will keep an aye out for future events.
snow report
Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
G'day. I started skiing a little late also... 35 when I tried it. For my first morning of lessons I couldn't even manage to ski 20 feet without falling over, worst in the group, but then suddenly it just clicked and now I am a total addict. The more prepared to fall over you are the quicker you seem to progress (well in my case anyway) snowHead
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
. I started skiing a little late also... 35 when I tried it. For my first morning of lessons I couldn't even manage to ski 20 feet without falling over, worst in the group, but then suddenly it just clicked and now I am a total addict. The more prepared to fall over you are the quicker you seem to progress (well in my case anyway) snowHead

First time I've ever seen it written or heard it but my experience is very similar. I learnt at 50 ... I'm sure it was 2 days before I got 20 feet ! My saving grace ( according to my instructor) was my lack of fear about falling over ALL the time. I still can't say it's 'clicked' but I'll keep trying ( and falling over!) snowHead Unfortunately my tag line says it all.
latest report
Took me three days in total just to get snowplough, let alone linked.

Then my instructor told me "you must forget ze snowplough to advance". All that pain and effort, only to forget it? Am I missing something?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyone learns at a different rate, and some people are more co-ordinated than others. Never fear if it takes you a little while to get something: "if at first you don't succeed"....
snow report
snowshine, my only advice (as one who didn't exactly rocket to high level skiing) is not to think about what you're told to do, just do it. Much of skiing is counterintuitive (until you've done enough that it becomes intuitive) and if you think ' Hmmm .... does putting my weight on that ski sound sensible?', you won't do it properly.
snow conditions
snowshine, Exactly!
Pain? Just another problem with the snow plow, it loads up the knees. People can learn a snow plow in 5 minutes, that is all the attention this movement deserves.
In Pmts the snow plow isn't really taught at all, perhaps only to crawl/brake along the lift line.
snow report
I couldn't snowplough at all for the first morning. Then my instructor tied my skis together with some plastic thing in the afternoon, and all was good Smile
ski holidays
richmond, counterintuitive is the best word I've heard for it yet, it all goes complete against common sense to point a pair of slippery soles down a slope and throw yourself off the edge of the mountain snowHead

bejes, i agree, the snowplough doesn't deserve as much attention as it gets, the question I would ask if in fact it is counterproductive? I personally found when coming to learn to go parallel, my legs instinctively took snowplough positions (that's how hard it had been drummed into me)! Because of that, going parallel really became a case of unlearning what I had learnt.
snow conditions
I think the snowplough is very underestimated. It can be very useful to all levels so I don't think you leave it on the nursery slope.

A derivitive or version of the snowplough can get you out of all sorts of trouble. Anyone who scoffs at a snowplough probably isn't a all mountain skier as they think IMO.
ski holidays
JT, i've got to agree. I could choose never to do a snowplough when skiing. It would just be more effort and less fun.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy