Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d' Isere restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - does anyone have any good recommendations for eating out in Val d' Isere?

Happy for any tips - would appreciate a mixture of options (upmarket, pizza joints etc).

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Midday or evening. Or even for a snack? There are several threads here that discuss this topic. Try Googling for:
site:snowheads.com restaurant "val d'isere"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perdix Blanche is full of Brits- pizza, steak frites, oysters, other sea food, steak tartar ( I once had a completely raw meal- 6 live oysters followed by steak tartar- Mrs Ed pregnant and nauseous at the time). Would we go back - no.

Top tip when eating out in Val D'Isere- buy a bottle of water -do not drink the carafe.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
for a slap up meal La Grand Ourse is difficult to beat. It also doubles as the best "lunch spot with a view" in resort
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Top tip when eating out in Val D'Isere- buy a bottle of water -do not drink the carafe
Why's that then? I'm intrigued Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Why's that then?

presumably because it's possible it'll give you the sh*ts. Val D'Isere is a bit notorious for it, isn't it?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
la Becca
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Why's that then?

presumably because it's possible it'll give you the sh*ts. Val D'Isere is a bit notorious for it, isn't it?
I have heard people say that, but I have drunk lots of tap water in Val d'Isere and never suffered.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adrian, and I've had the sh*ts! As have all my family.....humm lots of children with runny botties....on holiday...what fun!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And can I also ask if the Edelweiss and Le Signal in Le Fornet are still good options for lunch?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Le Vieux Maison (excuse any spelling) in the little seperate bit of VdI, opposite end to Le Fornet (can't remember the name), next to the big P&V block.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's a restaurant just by the bottom of the Madeleine Express chair - can't remember the name - but lovely sunny spot, not bad prices, and some great grub - cakes a speciality
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big Dave, l'oillette. Agree, it's a cracking spot for lunch. Datcha just over the hill is also a sun trap and good pit stop, but not such good value for lunch; upmarket self-service, if you can imagine such a thing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In no particular order:

Arollay in Le Fornet
Edelviews (coming down to Le Fornet)
Le Casserole

If you get over to Tignes - try La Pignata's (Val Claret) pizza for lunch
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ed123 wrote:
Adrian, and I've had the sh*ts! As have all my family.....humm lots of children with runny botties....on holiday...what fun!

Urban myth, I reckon - tap water in France is fine. We spent two weeks in Val drinking the tap water with no problems. It's far more likely to have been a winter stomach bug of some kind. These are, for obvious reasons, rife in ski resorts.
ski holidays
For great pizza, plat du jour etc relaxed lunch stop ski down to La Brevierre, go past all the end of piste eateries , walk straight over the road and opposite you is a fantastic restaurant calle L'Aimailly or something. Its got a pic of a cow on the sign. Well worth it for a long lunch stop treat if weather closes in or to sit outside in the sun.
Also for decent evening meal try Le Tufs in La Daille at bottom of the gondola. Its restaurant is upstairs. Great big log fire and pizza oven etc. Savoyard style food too. It was fully booked on our chalet staff night off so sadly couldn't get a table this time round. Ended up in a restaurant on main street in Val . "Auberge Houbert" I think it was called. Not that great.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
And can I also ask if the Edelweiss and Le Signal in Le Fornet are still good options for lunch?

Signal (upstairs) is very good. Downstairs self-service OK. Upstairs you need to book. We have skied Val on many occasions and never knew upstairs existed until a guide took us there. Getting entry feels a bit like you've been allowed into a very exclusive private club. Very good food. Expensive of course.

We like the Perdrix Blanche. Great steaks.
snow report
ajrduff, no- Val D'Isere's water has been problematic and even the Mayor agrees.
ski holidays
Lunchtime - definitely L'Amilly in Tignes Les Brevieres - especially in the spring sunshine - I've had many a leisurely lunch there over a carafe or two of rose Smile

I like the Lodge restaurant for a good steak dinner and you can just slip downstairs for a very chilled out after dinner drink with Fabrice (bar owner) - although I know the restaurant up in Le Fornet has got very good reviews - just could never bring myself to schlep up there on the bus.

Re: the water - I've skied Val D for around 8 weeks over the last ten years and have never suffered the dreaded tummy bug (even staying in mass accommodation in UCPA drinking tap water every day. Although I know people that have been sick. The resort has invested a lot of money in their water systems during that time and every year (poss even every week!) publish their water purity stats in an effort to shed the 'dodgy water' image..... I guess bad reps are are to shift.

Have fun in Val - you'll find it difficult not to.
snow report
ed123 wrote:
ajrduff, no- Val D'Isere's water has been problematic and even the Mayor agrees.

Have you got a link to the story - a quick google couldn't find anything negative about the water. Did mention a "gastro" bug but that's got nothing to do with the water quality and more to do with poor hygiene.

I've been skiing in Val for the past twenty years and never had any sort of trouble with drinking the tap water, both at home and out in restaurants........maybe I've just been lucky

Edelweiss is a still a good bet for lunch but best to make a reservation during peak season (also stops the woman at the front of house from screwing her nose up at you - but again, maybe that's just me - though in fairness, last time, the restaurant was 1/2 empty at 14:00 and she was still insisting ant that I needed a reservation........

Sidenote - some of the mountain restaurants (Edelweiss included) say that the tap water is not safe to drink and then proceed to sell you a bottle of water.

Pedrix Blanchee is normally a safe bet for a "reasonably" priced meal; food is not out of this world but the menu is large enough and should have enough variety to keep an entire party happy. I normally drop in at least once a week.
They'll also do take-away pizza too - which IMHO is better than Val Pizza.
And go for carafes of table wine - more than good enough for my palate and a lot cheaper
snow conditions
from 2007

davidof wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
The water supplies/sewage systems are also governed by the EU regulations and are modern systems not some antiquated system that some people are trying to imply.

I wasn't trying to imply anything. As I said in my second post the specific problem in Val d'Isere is the water supply as confirmed openly by Bernard Catelan, the mayor. The town made improvements to the water supply over the summer which they believe will improve the water quality.

Many French ski resorts do have clapped out or non-existant sewage treatment, for example there is no sewage treatment plant down the valley at Ste Foy - they spent the cash on a new chair lift instead. Courchevel is finally upgrading its sewage treatment to cope with winter visitors - previously raw sewage was pumped into the river below St Bon during peak periods.

Val has (has dad?) many more problems than other resorts. Tour operators have complained. To the extent that the subsequent Mayor came to London to talk about it not being a problem.

Some have suggested that it is an issue in the spring- when there is melt water and that this (used to ) overwhelm(s) the purification system (which has been improved- although for no reason as everyone knows that all the water in France is just fine).
snow conditions
However back to th epoint Edelwise is great for lunch on the slopes- a real gem. It is up the mounntain so probably has it's own spring/source. Fruitiere is the other lunch spot sent by the Gods to make me smile.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy