Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving route Leeds -> Chunnel -> Calais to Stuben - 9th April 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spurred on by a successful drive last year and timing it rather well due to the ash cloud (having never driven in 20 years of skiing) we are doing the same again!

Have booked a B&B hotel in Mainz for an overnight on the Friday night and viamichelin proposes this route.

any gotchas on this route at all ?

1Leave Coquelles
2Continue along: Avenue Charles de Gaulle
3At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit Continue along: D243E
4At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit Continue along: A16
Entry into Belgium
5Continue along: E40 / A18
6Close to Brugge, Continue along: E40 / A10
7Close to Bruxelles, Continue along: R0
8Continue along: E40 / A3
9Continue along: E314 / A2
Entry into Netherlands
10Continue along: A76 / E314
Entry into Germany
11Continue along: A4
12Continue along: A61
13Continue along: A6 / E50
14Continue along: A5 / E35
15Continue along: A8 / E52
16Continue along: A7 / E43
17Continue along: A96 / E43
Entry into Austria
18Continue along: A14
19Take S16 / E60
20Close to Langen am Arlberg, Continue along: B197
21Turn right: Stuben
Destination: Stuben am Arlberg, centre
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At 9 and 10, the usual route is to stay on the E40 south of Leuven, north of Liege, south of Aachen, don't know if it is quicker, but at least you get Decathlon en route and Ikea too near to Liege!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ikea would be useful - in case your holiday accommodation is not too well furnished. You can't be too careful. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, given it's a decent hotel we've stayed at before I think we will be ok Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never done the whole journey but I am a Yorkshireman (only doing missionary duty in Colchester!) - bear with me.

If you go via Namur, Luxemburg then over to the Rhine it adds 11 km and 20 minutes (According to google maps - not the best I know) but you can refuel in a low tax country. The roads are OK though the Ardennes can get fog/snow.

If youve got a thirsty petrol engine you could save close to Euro 20 each way!

edit* Wahay - my hundreth post
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
According to Google by choosing Mainz as a stopover you've added only about 25 miles to your journey but about an hour in time.

Of course if that's where you want stop en route this post is useless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MazDave, we aren;t going into Mainz, the hotel is close to the motorway (or at least I think it was.....)

Any known roadworks etc in the proposed route?

Last year some folk got caught in large queues getting into and out of Luxemburg....

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Between 9-11 either stay on the E40 (but pay attention to lane choice near Liege) or go the indicated way (E314?). Not a lot in it tbh. E40 roadworks are complete (didn't recall any at christmas) and there's more fuel that way if you'll be needing it.

Just after 15 there's some roadworks (near Pforzheim). Cost me about 2-3 minutes on way back from s7BB and trip to Kaltenbach with other snowHead
Trying to avoid them will route you via another set of roadworks.

Just before 16 there's some more - again cost me 2-3 mins max. They start right after Gruibingen services.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy