Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is it with toenails?

Poster: A snowHead
This is getting too regular now.

For the last two years my left big toenail goes black on the first trip and falls off on the second. The right nail goes blackish but stays on.

What's that about then?

(It does let you know if you get a bit back though.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, I don't know but mine are both very dark purple under the nail (should have left the polish on but wanted to see ) It has happened before too but they have never actually fallen off. I suspect for me not enough height in the toe box as it is not the ends of the toes it's the top of the toes. My boot/dodgy feet situation is still work in progress Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lost 2 big toe nails years ago in a borrowed pair of rugby boots that were 2 sizes too small for me. (needs must)

So I suspect the combo of your socks &/or boots are too tight (lengthwise) and your toenails are being bruised and lifted while cold. Andrenalin is a great anaesthetic!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
well they ain't doing it by themselves, so something or somebody is causing the toes to press against the top of the boots I'd guess Wink

I wonder if you scrunch up your toes without realising it?? I image Wazzer and his boys would spot if you were sat on the bog all the time on the 1st trip......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, toenail "softener" works quite well - applied for a while before a trip, regularly after your shower, and whenever you are off skiing, it means that the nail will be less brittle and will "give" a bit under the pressure. Worth a try.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cut them SHORT.

And make sure your boots are not too large: that will cause your foot to slide forward and result in the loss of your big toe nail.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, Yup, lost one of mine last year too, in small boots. Suspect I've lost at least one this year (bigger boots) but I'm being a big girls blouse and haven't been brave enough to take the polish off and look yet. rolling eyes Other than the very fetching (not) summer flip flop look, I'm going to live with it. At least I came back this trip with feeling in 9 toes, as opposed to only 4 last time. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, IYR I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Like sarah it turned out to be lack of vertical room in the toe box which CEM's hot gun & hydraulic stretcher gizmo soon sorted. Nip in to EB's at Cas & see Dan for a height only stretch - only see Dan though!

Or take a lesson wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:
Cut them SHORT.
Yes!

Bruising due to impact trauma, can be light or heavy, single or repeated.

Possible causes

Nails too long
Thickened nails possibly as a result of regular trauma
Boots too short
Boots too shallow in the toe box
Curve of the boot toe box too much for the toes
Boots too big or loose allowing forward movement
Boots too big or loose and dorsiflexing (pulling up) the big toe to try and stabilise the foot in the boot
Poor foot function causing dorsiflexing (pulling up) the big toe to try and stabilise the foot in the boot
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
anarchicsaltire, you forgot sh*te technique for a northern lad in leather boots.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My boots are fine when skiing as my toes draw back but I think they are a bit snug when walking so I think the curve on the outside of my big toes needs a little stretch. I thought it was the new liners but they have done a few days now and my toes brush the shell even without the liner.

I could hardly walk on the last day of the birthday bash because my big toes were trying to kill me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anarchicsaltire, that's a good list thanks. Nails are definitely short, they were well butchered in advance. I think I could do with a bit more height in the toe box, the boots had a length stretch last year and I could swear that the length stretch made them lose height. I would qualify for thickened nails too as I had a gel polish on which is quite thick possibly 2 mm on top of the nail. I could be pulling up the big toe too , it's possible, I think I do normally so maybe do skiing or certainly walking in ski boots.

tiffin I am similar, they are ok in a skiing position but walking is a no no.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What with skiing and Footy I have always got black toe. Usually x 2 but at the mo, x 1 1/2 ?
They usually drop of about June just in time for sandals Shocked

Rinse and repeat.

A guide I was skiing with had exactly the same problem. Skiing + Footy = Backtoe
Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My right foot toenail is ingrown, veerry nice. Had a small operation last summer, now it's back...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always cut them realllllly short, and the boots were sorted by CEM so I'm pretty sure the size is good.

I also have "waggle" room when the boots are fastened, so there feels to be enough room in there.

It looks like kitenski may have it Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I think that anarchicsaltire and spyderjon may be correct - maybe a lack of height in the toebox.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy