Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet Weighing Scales

Poster: A snowHead
This is not a tounge in cheek post - but has anyone ever tried to argue the toss over easyjets baggage scales?

Last week I had to pay for excess baggage for the first time ever, coincidently it was the first time I'd used easyjet for the "family" ski trip.

Total allowance wasn't an issue, we had 92Kg split between three bags and a set of skis. We were really careful packing and used a set of scales to weigh the baggage at home first. We've used the scales before and they've seemed accurate. They said the total weight was 90.5Kg, so a nice safety margin should have existed.

But, check-in at Liverpool put us at 102Kg which is of course 10Kg (or 22lbs or 1 1/2 Stone) over the limit. That's a hell of a lot of a difference; in fact £80 if we'd paid it all. A quick skank of check in staff got that down to a mere £50 rape!

On the way home I chucked a pair of skis in one of my mates cars to drive them home for me, but check in at Geneva showed a total baggage weight without them of around 80Kg.

So according to easyjet Liverpool, my skis weigh over 10Kg a pair. Now I haven't weighed them yet, but I'd have guessed roughly 5Kg a pair - which gives me the 90Kg ish I had weighed at home in the first place.

Strangely, the other family in our group who were checking in before us got done for £40 as well.

As it was 4.00am and we were at the front of a big queue I didn't do much by way of objection. However Red Run Marcus who I bumped into later that day tells me I couold have insisted they use another baggage handlers scales.

Is that correct, has anyone done this?

I ain't feeling too well disposed to easyjet at the minute. Think it'll be the bigger baggage allowance of Jet2 in future.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might what to pass your observations onto trading standards at Liverpool council. Selling goods/services by weight and having faulty scales is a criminal offence.

http://liverpool.gov.uk/Business/trading-standards/report-trading-standards-issue/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can understand why your unhappy (got done by bmi baby once and now try to avoid at all costs) but I dont think this is an easyjet ploy to rip anyone off, more a bad service by not correctly calibrating the scales.

Interesting point I'll remember, if I'm over weight, to ask for a second opinion on another set of scales!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ask them to produce a current weights and measures certificate for the scales. Problem is that they've got you by the balls when you're at chek-in and the the check-in staff don't have the best grasp of law, their own T&Cs, logic etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they are a bit lax in recalibration if they are measuring over.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would have thought there is more chance of your scales at home being out than the ones at the airport? I doubt the same accuracy standards apply to home bathroom scales etc, plus they can vary a lot depending on whether they are on carpet or tiles.

I'm sure there is some accidental incorrect weighing and there is nothing to stop you asking for them to be re-checked.

I know my bathroom scales are wrong, they always read a couple of stone over what I am Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flew Easyjet in January and the bag weighed much more in Grenoble than it had at Birmingham - I couldn't have that much dried sweat and blood on my clothes!! However, the check-in guy just shrugged his shoulders and let it go.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't call 1.5 kg of 90 kg (1.7%) a nice safety margin on a pair of bathroom scales. Usually allow 2 kgs per person.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are not sure i would suggest next time using another 'empty' check in desk to weigh each bag before checking in.

Saw it done at Turin last week by a guy 'Just to Check' before joining the queue.

Problems always seem to be in the UK though dont they or is it just me.?

A 10KG discrepancy seems a lot Shocked

You live and learn Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, leave the champers and foie gras at home in future??

Can't see what harm it would do to ask them to use a second set of scales to double check though?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely it's not the airline's scales but the ground crew's? The check-in desks aren't staffed or branded by the airline, they are generic to the airport so that any airline's flights can be scheduled for any check-in desk. Or am I missing something peculiar to Easyjet?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:

That's just silly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They weren't bathroom scales, they were these:

They've been pretty good before.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That's just silly.

And here's me thinking it was funny. Must be my warped sense of humour... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Surely it's not the airline's scales but the ground crew's? The check-in desks aren't staffed or branded by the airline, they are generic to the airport so that any airline's flights can be scheduled for any check-in desk. Or am I missing something peculiar to Easyjet?

Yes and no.

THey are normally staffed by airline staff, and most airports nowadays have the majority of check in desks allocated permanently to specific airlines, with only a relatively small proportion being switched between (usually small) airlines.

But I think the maintenance of the equipment is still the responsibility of teh airport rather than teh airline, who are effectively renting it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, Oh no..... I´ve just weighed my bag with these for tomorrows flight to Norway. Lakeland scales,,,,,always been accurate so far
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

That's just silly.

And here's me thinking it was funny. Must be my warped sense of humour... Toofy Grin

I meant it was silly to leave them behind Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy