Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunglasses and goggles for astigmatism

Poster: A snowHead
I'm almost kitted out now for my skiing trip in a month's time. All I now need is the goggles and sunglasses. I need new sunglasses anyway, so this is a good excuse to get some, and I believe that - when it's overcast - goggles with yellow lenses are more suitable than sunglasses?

I was wondering whether anyone had any specific advice on prescription sunglasses/goggles for someone with astigmatism? I don't remember my exact prescription, but I'm looking at some recent contact lenses and they're showing -4.00 D, -1.75 Cyl, 180 axis for the left eye, and -3.00 D, -1.75 Cyl and 020 axis for the right eye, so I guess it's going to be pretty close to that.

I definitely fog up easily, just wearing glasses, when at Hemel, although I'm hoping that the greater movement and fresh air may help that a bit, but coping well with fogging is definitely an important consideration for goggles!

Will be going to my opticians on Saturday, hopefully, to get some advice from them, but anyone have any tips or experience they could share?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaKid, Look at the Adidas range, their goggles and sunglasses can carry prescription inserts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaKid, One astigmatised person here - similar prescription to you actually. On days with any precipitation and very cold days I do contacts with goggles. I found cheap goggles steamed up - though polishing with dish washing liquid is very useful on cheap ones. I tried some ladies Oakleys earlier this year they had less problems with fogging, though there may have been a fault in the lens as I did get some fogging between the two lenses when sunbathing in direct sun wearing them. Otherwise I wear prescription sunnies with larger lenses from Boots on all days that I can.

Tbh. I think the astigmatism is a 'red herring' and it shouldn't affect your ability to find a solution unless you looking for an optic that fits inside a goggle and I don't have any experience with those.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the quick replies!

I can wear contacts, but not for very long so I think I am looking at inserts. I mention the astigmatism because I'd prefer more wraparound sunglasses which can be tricky with astigmatism.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a pair of "wrap round style" sunglasses made in Specsavers, and they were completely useless. I just tried them on in the shop, and realised. The young girl who had served me originally (using my normal prescription) had not realised that only some prescriptions are suitable for "wrap rounds" and I suspect she got a bollocking later from the supervisor, who was very apologetic to me and immediately gave me a full refund.

I have inserts in goggles, and my OH has just got some too. But they just have our "distance" prescription in (I don't need to look closely at the clips on my boots when I ski) and they are great. Super clear vision (much better than the straight varifocal sunglasses I have) and they don't normally fog up unless I get hot flushes, which shouldn't be a problem for DaKid. wink It's not just in poor vis that goggles are preferable. They are much better in snow, and also when it's cold and windy (makes my eyes stream, skiing at any speed in sunnies, even if it's not terribly cold). I carry sunnies for the sunbathing on the terrace bit, but invariably wear goggles the entire time whilst skiing. It's not just because the cool crowd say that sunglasses look ridiculous with a helmet (though actually that's true, they do!).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaKid, You say you can wear contacts but not for long. Do you know why this is?

I only ask because with the first contacts I tried (standard daily lens) I was clawing at my eyes after a few hours desperate to get them out, but after a few other options, I now have some which I find comfortable all day. This is massively easier for sports because I can just use standard non prescription lenses.

I also have astigmatism but my contacts are not for this as they do not currently make the ones I prefer in a toric lens, though I expect this to change in future. However, I don't find it to be too much of a problem (more noticeable at a computer) so I'm fine when skiing.

If you haven't already discussed alternatives with your optician, it may be worth a try.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have veen using Acuvue daily disposables, but my optician has now recommended 1-Day Avuvue Moist with Lacreon by Johnson and Johnson vision care - yellow boxes with a red edge. Apparently they are brand new on the market and are being done is a huge range of astigmatism prescription lenses - she can get me nearly spot on and I'm fairly bad from what she says. If you haven't had a check for a year or so they might be worth asking your optician about.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I reckon the yellow/red boxes are just the trials - I think these are them http://www.acuvue.co.uk/moist-astigmatism
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaKid, speak to your Optometrist at the weekend for their advice and like some others have said, I think contact lenses with goggles and sunglasses are your best option. If you explain that you find you can't wear your lenses for long, there should be another option for you to try which will extend your wearing time. That way if you can get that sorted out, you can wear goggles, wrap arounds, whatever you like. Ask your Optometrist about silicone hydrogel contact lenses, it will probably be the material of the lens that enhances your comfort particularly when skiing around in the cold and a bit of wind etc.

Unless-do you mean you can't wear your lenses for long because the vision in them isn't as good?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ESS Vice RX inserts can be used with both their ICE eyeshields and Advancer goggles. They are shown here with some clear lenses but these are interchangeable with yellow and smoke versions:

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE---Advancer-Vice-Rx-Insert_118_detail.html
http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-Tactical-Kit_151_detail.html
http://www.esseyepro.com/Advancer-V-12_99_detail.html

All of which are readily available on ebay:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=ess+%28vice%2C+ice%2C+advancer%29
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It might be worth a look at this thread too http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71725
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I can't wear contacts for long, possibly because I don't wear them often enough? I think the sensible option would definitely be to get myself using contacts properly, but I'm really not sure it's viable in as short a time as I've left myself before my holiday (less than a month now). Possibly a little lack of foresight on my part.

I'll speak to the optician on Saturday, and see what he says. Will see if I can get myself wearing contacts more often as well, and see how quickly I can acclimatise to them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaKid, A 5 day contact lens trial is all it takes for an optician to check is someone is suitable for lenses so from that I guess the eye sorts itself out fairly quickly. I am not allowed by the optician to wear mine all the time. However, I am allowed to use them for a skiing holiday providing I put them in just before I go out and remove them when I finish for the day - say 8 hrs later. I don't have problems with suddenly wearing them for this long when I don't ordinarily wear them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am very interested by the helmet link. I've just bought a Head Sensor helmet online, which fitted very well when I previously tried one on in a shop, but I might still be within the 14-day period for it. The helmet with visor is about £185, which compares very favourably with Head helmet, sunglasses and goggles total cost!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaKid, One reason for not being able to wear contacts for long is because they can dry out which then irritates your eyes. If you think this might be part of your problem, mention it to your optician. You might be better off with one of the "moisturised" brands such as the Acuvue Moist Megamum, mentioned. Ciba vision/Focus do one too, though not sure if you can get it as a toric. You may find this type of lens a lot more comfortable.
ski holidays
DaKid, I can wear hard lenses for an hour in the office but 8 hours on the mountain when skiing. The cool freash air is fantastic for the eyes. I suffer from kerataconus (a bit like an astigmatism) which usually makes the wearing of lenses even more uncomfortable. Lenses are better than specs to ski in, tough it out if you can and increase wear time daily up to your holiday. If you really cant face lenses then go for expensive goggles. They will generally fit over normal glasses and will not fog.
ski holidays
Really appreciate everyone's advice. Lots of thinking about things to be done tonight!!
ski holidays
I was always under the impression that contact lenses were no good for astigmatism. Am I wrong then?
latest report
altis, they have to be specially designed to cope - astigmatism lenses have to sit the right way up in order to correct the astigmatism - in glasses this is not a problem, but a contact lens rotates on the eye which does not work if you have a toric correction. However special toric contact lenses are 'weighted' - thickened and heavier at certain points so that they sit the correct way up in the eye. They are sometimes marked to help with inserting them more or less correct, but the majority of them quickly rotate correctly to sit properly in the eye due to their design even if inserted 'upside down'. They are, of course a fair bit more costly to buy though, which is why some mild sufferers of astigmatism don't bother using the correction for what I call 'high days and holidays use'. I am bad enough to really notice if the correction is not there and therefore require a toric contact lens in both eyes now Sad

DaKid, If I could afford one I'd go for a visored helmet, I think they are absolute answer to wearing specs on the slopes.
ski holidays
Megamum, my problem is making sure it fits. With time an issue (almost), I need to send my Head helmet back and - if the visored one doesn't fit perfectly - send that back, and buy a new Head one, plus also get some goggles/sunglasses!!
ski holidays
altis, I don't know much about hard contact lenses, but I think astigmatism correction in disposable lenses is quite a new technology. I had a trial of the Acuvue Moist astigmatism lenses about 6 months ago and my optician had only just started supplying them. I am now waiting/hoping for Focus to bring a competitor moist toric lens to market as I don't get on with the Acuvue.
snow report
Megamum, I once tried a toric lens that had markings on it to help get it right. Unfortunately, the text was so chosen that it read correctly either way up, if inside out or not, and was thus totally useless Confused
snow report
DaKid, Sounds like you need a trip to a big shop or a ski show - pity they are over now - do you maybe have a big shop that stocks visored helmets near you so you could try a few on before buying the cheapest you can find it online?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
do you maybe have a big shop that stocks visored helmets near you so you could try a few on before buying the cheapest you can find it online?

No idea!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy