Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt Parking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Zermatt by car for a week. Does anyone have any recommendations for parking in Tasch ? We will probably only use the car for one day for a trip to Saas Fee. I did look at Matterhorn Terminal who seem to want about a tenner a day. Anything cheaper would be nice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dsoutar, The first time I drove to Zermatt we used these for parking and transfer.

http://www.alphubel.ch/index.php?id=256&L=1

That was before the new terminal was built. They don't look any cheaper looking at their prices.

Last time I drove we used the Terminal and I have to say it's very convenient as you can load your luggage onto a trolley and wheel it straight onto the trains.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Parking in Tasch is mega expensive. You could maybe think about parking in Brig or Visp and getting the train from there, but if convenience is important to you then you may as well just bite the bullet and park at the Terminal.

Zermatt's "car free" status is the most annoying thing about the place. Not only do you have to park miles away for £LOADS, when you actually get there you constantly have to dive out of the way of the hundreds of silent electric cars that race aggressively around its "car free" streets. Car free, except for the hundreds of deadly cars driven by lunatics, that is. While your own "car" is parked, expensively and impotently, miles away, in order to keep the town "car free" (except for all the cars that are there).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not stay in Cervinia? You can park the car for free right next to the lift stations. Only 2 gondolas and one cable car to the top of the border and you can ski into the Swiss side first time clipping the skis on. The Italian side of the valley offer much more affordable accommodations.

The only draw back is the two links are liable to close in strong wind. Skiing in the Italian side is just as good and better linked together but they have no train taking you to the top of the slope.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Because he plans to drive to Saas Fee.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also "skiing on the Italian side is just as good" is plainly, utterly, false.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Technique,
Quote:

Zermatt's "car free" status is the most annoying thing about the place.

Fortunately I don't think they're going to pay an attention to you in Zermatt. It's marvellous to spend some time in an environment that hasn't been sacrificed to the motor car and where the hell do you think you would park if they let you drive into Zermatt?

The taxis are a great compromise, for those who find walking trying.

I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to whinge about the sh*t deposited by the irritating mangy ponies that roam around pulling carts after them. It would be so much better if they shot them and replaced them with a Hummer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, and the horse poo.

The deadly electric 'suicide wagons', and the big steaming piles of horse plops.

And all the posh people.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm....thanks for all the info - I think. Strangely I didn't really consider parking in Cervinia as the hotel we are staying at is in Zermatt and if the lift system shuts getting back to the car might be a bit awkward. Also the wife didn't really fancy the idea of sking with 20kg of luggage as to be honest she doesn't really like having a small rucsac. Maybe I can hire a dog team in Cervinia (oh no, that will mean dog poo as well as horse poo) or persuade one of the piste bashers to bring it over the mountain for us.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure if you have checked this link or not, but there is a list of all the parking in Tasch which might help

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/zermatt_matterhorn/arrival/car
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Others may be able to confirm. My experience with strong wind is that it can shut down the cable car to the highest point in Zermatt side and prevent the skiers from Cervinia side to reach the border. Once inside the Swiss side the second highest point is served by drag lifts that rarely shut down. Thus going back to Cervinia side should not be a problem. Once at the border one can ski down to Cervinia.

I haven't clocked it myself but 2 gondolas and a cable cars from the Italian side should be about 30 to 40 minutes and one is near the top of Zermatt. It would probably take longer from the Swiss side to reach the same position if one is not staying near the chairlift.

Going Zermatt is like going to Bad Gastein or Engelberg where a significant number of visitors are not piste users (skiers or boarders). Taking a train to reach the top of a slope may be novel but I wouldn't like to spend time waiting for a train for every run.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
Others may be able to confirm. My experience with strong wind is that it can shut down the cable car to the highest point in Zermatt side and prevent the skiers from Cervinia side to reach the border. Once inside the Swiss side the second highest point is served by drag lifts that rarely shut down. Thus going back to Cervinia side should not be a problem. Once at the border one can ski down to Cervinia.
I was in Zermatt at the start of last season and the friend of a friend was stuck in resort for two and a half days as lift closures meant he was unable to return to Cervinia where he was based for the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr Technique wrote:
Parking in Tasch is mega expensive.
It is, although mega convenient as well. But that's not the best thing about it. When I used the parking last season I was returning to my car in a dimly lit corner of level 4 and some chap who I'd never seen before sidled up to me and said "I'm Jonny luv plums". Now you don't get that kind of welcome in every car park you visit, so I think it's money well spent.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,

Then you must be talking about the top part of Zermatt being closed. The top of Zermatt is a glacier served by only drag lifts usable in the summer. The top of Zermatt drag lifts is the top of Cervinia and it is just one run all the way down to the Italian side without the need of another lift. It will take a very strong windy day to stop the operation of the drag lifts.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 2-03-11 19:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee, I'm not sure what was closed, but for a couple of days there was restricted terrain available because of very high winds. The guy I mentioned was unable to get to Cervinia so had to camp on my mate's floor until he could get back across the border.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy