Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body warmer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm Thinking of buying myself a body warmer (Gilet, Vest, or what ever else you want to call them)

Now here's the dilema, I know Down is warmer but primaloft or other synthetic is better for lets say, damp conditions - eg those which can be found in the UK...

I'm a big fan of Mountain Equipment gear, so looking at the compressor vest (primaloft) or Xero (Down) however I'm open to other recommendations...

So does anyone have any experiences or recommendations for the two I mentioned or any others that they would share?

Cheers Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crazy Climber, I haven't tried the Mountain Equipment ones you mention but I can tell you that the Rab Microlight Vest is good, I've got one of them, that's down not synthetic though and also I've not long bought a Patagonia Down Sweater. That isn't a vest (although I think they do do a vest version)it's a little jacket but very thin and light and very warm. That came recommended by a good friend of mine who wears his all season long under his shell jacket and he really rated it. Also the reviews for that Patagonia item are really good too and the stock always seems to be a bit thin on the ground. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crazy Climber, north face redpoint, i use one and its perfect for me. not bulky, toasty warm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a rab primaloft pullon, that i use as a midlayer.... http://www.rab.uk.com/clothing/primaloft/generator_pull-on---85/ that one to be exact(available without sleeves) and it was crackin'. Wore it under my jacket (alpha industries m65 without liner) with nothing more than a tshirt during the minus 15 temps we had this winter at work and it was crackin' warm. and that was standing static for upto 8 hours.

So aye, primaloft get's my vote.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should also note that I got it for 60 quid reduced from 110 from tiso. awesome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've a Rab Microlite down vest. Lovely, very warm, soft, rolls up minute and looks good. Highly rcommenf Rab down stuff, last years, washes well
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madmole, yeah they do roll up small. I noticed that when its washed the down doesn't clump either because its separated out throughout the stitching of the vest. Same with the Patagonia. I've a North Face gilet (admittedly a lot bulkier so not really meant to be a mid layer I wore it as an outer garment here in the UK) and that was is a pain to wash because of the clumping effect. It was never the same again really although a clean tennis ball in with it in the tumble dryer is meant to plump it all up again especially around the collar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depends what you want to use it for, I find the down to bulky and to warm I have a TNF redpoint which is great, good fit around the arms / shoulders and doesn't interfer with movement. Down wise would say RAB stuff asbove is excellent and for a budget choice ALPKITs down one is meant to be excellent aswell.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its mainly going to be in a bag for when I need a bit more warmth or when its too how with a mid layer but too cold with out - those inbetweeny type situations. Both skiing and climbing monging it around camps/town etc.

Quote:

although a clean tennis ball in with it in the tumble dryer is meant to plump it all up again especially around the collar.

I have heard this severl times but never tried it myself as don't have a down jacket (yet?)

I have a Rab doss bag which is awesom so know their quality when it comes to down, also like the way they have all the stitching to stop the down clumping at the bottom as has been said about TNF gear...

I shall continue to ponder the matter I think. Gotta do something at work don't I?!

Good tips so far tho, thanks Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

although a clean tennis ball in with it in the tumble dryer is meant to plump it all up again especially around the collar.

I washed and dried two gilets yesterday doing just this in the dryer and they did come like nicely plumped up
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy