Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis to small and bindings too small :(

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

i have recently bought some 2010 salomon 1080s twin tips (the wood core ones). I am 74kg and 178 cm tall, the skis i bought measure 161cm......now i understand these to be slightly small (because with twin tips you should aim to get 10cm bigger???) well i didnt know that at the time of purchase over the internet, so i thought i will try them out and see how i get on.

so, night before i head out to Morzine (tomorrow at 8am), my friend who has kindly offered to lend me his boots, brought them round for fitting to my new skis......after full adjustment of the bindings, they are about 1cm to short (i.e. the ski boot is too big at size 11 and 305mm sole).

now, luckily, he also lent me his skis as i had no fall back plan, but the question is do i sell my skis and get some more or get someone to redrill the skis so i can set the bindings further apart???? I was going to take both skis and get mine redrilled but it would take me over my weight allowance Sad Bad night lol!

Any opinions would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
size 11 and 305mm sole - are you sure? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, i didn't want to comment. My size 7s had a 305mm sole...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry.......345mm (wasnt far off though :s haha!!!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I am 74kg and 178 cm tall, the skis i bought measure 161cm......now i understand these to be slightly small (because with twin tips you should aim to get 10cm bigger???)

Way too small, for twintips you should be looking 175-180cms (I'm the same weight but a couple of cms shorter), assuming you're after an everyday do everything/allmountain ski. Definitely sell and get bigger ones.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

I am 74kg and 178 cm tall, the skis i bought measure 161cm......now i understand these to be slightly small (because with twin tips you should aim to get 10cm bigger???)

Way too small, for twintips you should be looking 175-180cms (I'm the same weight but a couple of cms shorter), assuming you're after an everyday do everything/allmountain ski. Definitely sell and get bigger ones.
thanks for your reply Matt. Just got back from skiing (yesterday)....brilliant time. As i said, my friend lent me his skis which were 170 cm K2 Apache Explorer. Now i know they are not twin tips, and the bindings are set back rather than central, but they seemed pretty big and i didnt really like them very much.

Now i asked the guy in a ski shop whilst over there what he thought; he said (in a fashion), bigger skis are easier to carve and go faster, shorter skis are easier to turn and "more fun", esp for twin tips as you will be doing 360s etc. So am still tempted (not disagreeing with you btw Matt, your oppinions is very much appreciated and taken on board!!!)

Cheers,

Mark
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mrfrosty85, Yup... if you are not having stability problems at high speeds then you will probably find the shorter skis plenty of fun. But if you like lots of off piste and/or travelling fast then a longer ski would be more suitable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well, looks like the only option is two pairs of skis Wink haha!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mrfrosty85 wrote:
well, looks like the only option is two pairs of skis Wink haha!

Lol good luck stopping at two!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy