Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teenager critical on French trip

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156234279

Dont like the word "resuscitated" Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How come the lift was allowed to carry on with him going back down the hill?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we don't know from that how far back down the hill he went... it could have been a matter of 10 feet for all we know. doesn't take long for a chair to travel that distance and be over a big drop again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My nephew is in Chatel with a school trip, but no news from him since before the accident. There is a 14 yr old with the relevant name on his trip; whichever school it is, what a horrible thing to happen. According to the Dauphiné there is a rocky overhang at the arrival station. The lift people stopped it as soon as they saw a problem.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but why didn't they stop it when they saw he wasn't getting off? i always assumed that if i didn't manage to get off the chair (for whatever reason) that the liftie would stop it and help/give me an earful for not getting off.

unless it was a downloading chair too obviously.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's usually a bar that stops the lift if there is someone still on it that shouldn't be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
look at this vid

http://youtube.com/v/oBc9zEK7Edo

only take a couple of seconds for the lad to end up on the other side.

it's not difficult for the liftie to take a good few seconds to realise what's happened and hit the button.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dauphiné is also reporting that he was trapped on the chair by his rucksack.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you have to feel sorry for him - he probably thought 'right well i'll jump off here before it gets any further...' and then he was stuck.
reinforces those signs about taking rucksacks off i guess.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Discussed at some length here - though since the earlier post is in Apres, I don't blame you for missing it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that is a crazy video! i know quite a few lifts where if u got hooked like that it wouldnt take 3 seconds for u to be in some trouble from rocks below!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
grey wrote:
you have to feel sorry for him - he probably thought 'right well i'll jump off here before it gets any further...' and then he was stuck.
reinforces those signs about taking rucksacks off i guess.

we never take our rucksack off. its far too dangerous having it on your knee and then infront of you when you get off. we make sure all the loose straps are tied off and I am in the habit of leaning forward a bit when i get near to the top to make sure I can move and am not trapped. modern chairs are ok but its the old slatted ones you have to be careful of.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
story is confusing and inconsistent (unless i am reading it wrong)..

at the beginiing they say "He was later cut free "
then they say "remained on the lift as it went back down the mountain. Moments later he fell towards the piste."

so if he fell off why did he need to be cut free ?

also I am susprised that if he did fall that he fell so far as usually the bar thingy that stops the lift is close to the top and if you do fall its not far. obviously all manner of circumstances coudl have contributed to the accident and I suspect the newspaper report is not entirely accurate. hope he recovers soon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo wrote:
its far too dangerous having it on your knee and then infront of you when you get off.

How? Yours is full of rabid otters?

The only inconvenience with putting a pack on your knees IMO is the nervous ninny/ ignorant inconsiderate chairmates who slam the bar down before you've even positioned it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
backhojo wrote:
its far too dangerous having it on your knee and then infront of you when you get off.

How? Yours is full of rabid otters?

The only inconvenience with putting a pack on your knees IMO is the nervous ninny/ ignorant inconsiderate chairmates who slam the bar down before you've even positioned it.

I am not very tall and I find it obscures my vision when getting off the chair and I find it uncomfortable. its not a big pack and only has a few extra clothes and my goggles/hip flask in it. doesnt cause any issue wearing it on my back and in 13 years of skiing only been asked twice by lifty to put it on the front.
snow report
I leave my bag on and not had any problems but I know it could as two of my friends have got caught. It was pretty funny then though. What I don't get is, how come he didn't hit any sort of emergency trip thing. I thought they all had those thin horizontal poles that automatically stop the lift if anything hits them.
snow report
fatbob, you mean you don't routinely take rabid otters with you on the hill? That's just so irresponsible.
latest report
backhojo wrote:
I am not very tall and I find it obscures my vision when getting off the chair and I find it uncomfortable. its not a big pack and only has a few extra clothes and my goggles/hip flask in it. doesnt cause any issue wearing it on my back and in 13 years of skiing only been asked twice by lifty to put it on the front.

Weak excuse from the "I cannot be bothered" category.

Packs are demonstrably dangerous (see above).
snow report
I keep mine on my back, everything done up ever since the time I took it off and got one of the buckles cought in the seat slats between my legs rolling eyes . Have been hooked up once whilst wearing it on a t-bar, just had to make sure Mounta1Goat got off first so that I could rotate out of it. Last week got one of the toggles on my glove caught on a chair lift bar, amusing second or too with my arm in the air till I worked out what was going on, perhaps we should take our gloves off too Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-02-11 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I am an ordinary size person with an ordinary size backpack (2 cheese sandwiches and a bottle of beer; no otters). I'm trying to imagine where it would have to be to obscure my vision when I am up on my feet, getting off a chairlift.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
backhojo wrote:

Weak excuse from the "I cannot be bothered" category.

Packs are demonstrably dangerous (see above).

perfectly reasonable reason not excuse. and there is , or course, an element of cant be bothered. its such a faff undoing the chest strap and waist strap (often have to take my gloves off to do these due to fiddly clasps). perhaps you woudl like to wait behind me in the queue whilst I do this ?

I am wondering if you could produce the stats that show they are "demonstrably dangerous" - the number of "people stuck on a lift due to a rucksack as a % of the number of ski lift journeys per annum" stats. as they say "one swallow doesnt make a summer" and a couple of incidents with rucksacks doesnt mean they are dangerous - perhaps the user is at fault rather than the equipment !!
snow report
backhojo wrote:
a couple of incidents with rucksacks doesnt mean they are dangerous

Everything's dangerous. People die in their bed!
latest report
maggi, Indeed. rolling eyes C'mon people... you can't avoid every little possible risk. Actually that's not true, you could. Just stay home and don't go skiing. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots wrote:
maggi, Indeed. rolling eyes C'mon people... you can't avoid every little possible risk. Actually that's not true, you could. Just stay home and don't go skiing. Madeye-Smiley

Now that's just sick, you'll get banned Toofy Grin

On second thought, the lift queues might get shorter Very Happy
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, Are you trying to say that I take up an excessive amount of space in a lift queue? Shocked Well... ok.... but it was the mince pies.... the mince pies I tell ya... Embarassed
snow report
I just don't understand why people need bags...
And I ski with my kiddie-winkle too.... and we both don't need them!... Goggles can be kept on helmet or in those funny little zippy-uppy things scattered all over your jacket... there is one of them for everything now!
snow conditions
flangesax, Mine's a back protector and camelback. It even has a little bit of space ready for a shovel and probe if I ever decide to be that brave snowHead
latest report
flangesax, I don't always ski with my bag but surely you can understand Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax wrote:
And I ski with my kiddie-winkle too....

Extra clothes. And of course, younger kiddie winkle's favourite teddy!
snow report
flangesax wrote:

Curly cable board lock, water, choc bars, tissues, other goggle lenses, sunglasses, phone, smokes, spare thin fleece, woolly hat, wallet.

You could fit it all in your pockets (perhaps not the board lock) but your coat and trousers would be uncomfortable and you would need to unload your pockets to do up your snowboard bindings. I suspect that skiing with kids, you would be less likely to plan a whole day out, wanting to be sure you had everything.

A rucksack also acts as a personal airbag should you wipe out.

I have never taken mine off when using a lift.
latest report
For anyone that was reading this earlier - the thread was continued in Apres as 'backpacks on chairlifts' but to let you know that sadly the boy concerned died today.

He was 14, called Kieran, and on a Feb half term school ski trip (from my son's school- Torquay Boys Grammar). It is thought the waist strap from his backpack got caught in the back of the chair lift and he was dragged back off as it descended and he was 'strangled' by the backpack and his clothes riding back up as he was suspended.

It took a while for him to be cut down and he was at first in a coma in a French hospital then came back to a local hospital last week, but sadly died this morning.

The French police are undertaking 'a serious and lengthy investigation'.

Tragedy for the parents and many of us from the school are quite devastated by the news - even though we had not expected a good outcome.
ski holidays
What very sad news.....thoughts go out the family
ski holidays
Very sad, and my thoughts will be with his family and friends.

Maybe this is the wrong time and place to ask this, but why did it take so long to free him? Surely they could just have reversed the chairlift and cut him down with a knife?
ski holidays
Very sad indeed, can only assume that the lift operator failed to spot him, only chairlifts I've ever seen similar things happen on the operator has been very quick to reverse the lift, usually before the person has even gone fully around the wheel at the top Sad
snow report
How terribly sad. The French authorities are going to investigate; I don't think we should attempt to do so.

Poor Kieran.
Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
I don't think you can reverse chairlifts.

Very sad for one so young.
latest report
I hesitate to say but have seen chairlifts run in reverse several times.

Very sad news.
ski holidays
I had wondered how he was doing, poor poor lad and family/friends.

sally s, thank you for updating.
ski holidays
Complete tragedy for Kieran and his family. Thoughts and prayers go out to them Crying or Very sad
snow report
cad99uk wrote:
I hesitate to say but have seen chairlifts run in reverse several times.
I've been reversed back to the station while on a chairlift.

Terrible news for the family and for the school Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy