Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Negotiating a discount from a tour operator.

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone managed to negotiate a discount over the online price? Ideally without leaving it to the very last minute. If you did, what tactics worked for you? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW, an exercise I've begun today, co-incidentally, aiming to go in about a months time, so not quite "last minute". Basically targetted a (known) slow moving destination, playing on the "loyalty factor" (which although deserved will probably carry little/no weight) and reasonable flexibility on dates. I've emailed them a price I'd like to pay (actually what I paid for the same deal three & two years back), flts/tfrs/accom/pass/carriage.

Will it work? God knows, never tried before, and I'm not holding me breath, but if you don't ask............

If nothing else, for just ten minutes of potentially wasted time, it's gotta be worth a punt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always haggle - I'm an embarrassment to shop with in Sainsbury's Wink

Find the best deal you can, ask them to better it... ask someone else to better it: repeat until happy Smile

Here's a short training video.

http://youtube.com/v/3n3LL338aGA
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, when i worked for a travel agent the best way to get a significant discount was to call the Operator directly. Sod the Travel Agents
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, That's very good advice. Now.... about this EoSB... Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, yes when booking direct with someone we had been with before, asked them what they would do to get us to come back next year, think we got a last years prices and free Geneva transfers...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few years ago I was pushing 2 companies for the same holiday. Ski McNeill in Belfast and Ski Independence. After several e-mails of haggling the woman from Ski McNeill sent me a cross e-mail back as she had just e-mailed "Gavin" in Ski Independence and realised I was using the two companies to barter the price down.

I'm sorry pet, but that's how it works, so booked with Ski Independence. Ski McNeill was always a rip off anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Post on chaletsdirect and find out what's on offer.

Once you've found what you wanted, post again, under a different name, stating the price you want to pay which is lower than they offered the first time. But is not lower than the price they offer their January weeks at. Tailor your request to what the chalet you are after offers.

Twisted Evil .

Then ring 'em and flirt like crazy with the girl on the end of the phone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, when booking 2 holidays in one season with Ski Beat - we could already get 5% off due to SCGB membership but they agreed to up the more expensive holiday to 10% as we were booking two hols.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always haggle! as someone already said, if you dont ask you dont get! even on sale prices, if you get the right person serving you it can pay off! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Managed to get £150 off the reduced price for three people. Which essentially cancelled out the extras that they wanted to charge. rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy wrote:
A few years ago I was pushing 2 companies for the same holiday. Ski McNeill in Belfast and Ski Independence. After several e-mails of haggling the woman from Ski McNeill sent me a cross e-mail back as she had just e-mailed "Gavin" in Ski Independence and realised I was using the two companies to barter the price down.

I'm sorry pet, but that's how it works, so booked with Ski Independence. Ski McNeill was always a rip off anyway.

Gavin is a good chap wink. I did the same this year and was very open with ski independence about the price I could get from a competitor. Straight away they offered a disccount as I am a returning customer then there was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing while they tried to get closer to the competitor's price. They couldn't get it quite the same but I was happy to book with them and we got an upgrade on the condo. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx,

Yes, as I remember Gavin was very pleasant to deal with. That was 2004 and I still remember his name!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem I had today was that I couldn't find any competitors at cheaper prices.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, The boy done good then Very Happy
snow report
holidayloverxx, I'm ok with it, friends are quite pleased as well. It's just frustrating to be in a position where you don't have a bit more leverage. Twisted Evil
snow report
Kramer wrote:
The problem I had today was that I couldn't find any competitors at cheaper prices.

The TO does not know what other TOs are offering you. It's not like they can call up and ask for the same deal.

First rule of sales - buyers lie. Might as well bend the truth a bit, it's your money after all and it's not like the TO is going to sue you if they find out you've bent the story a bit.

Personally I've found working with a travel agent to be a good way of getting best possible price. I have one contact at one travel agent who organises all my ski trips. He knows what I want, he knows how to get it, and he deals with several TOs so can play them off each other for me. He knows how much holiday A costs against the holiday B I am looking at, and can tell the TO as much. The travel agent gets a discount on top of the group discounts etc that I might be entitled to that they can use to subsidise the cost - I have a simple deal with my guy that it needs to be cheaper than I could possibly get directly with the TO, and he is allowed to make a margin in there with any spare change he can find in the deal.

Simple solution to this - find the cheapest possible holiday that is almost comparable - if you are looking at a 4 star chalet in Val D'Isere, find a 3 star chalet in Courchevel or LDA, which may well be cheaper, tell the TO that if they don't hit the price you're going to go with the cheap option.

Any decent Travel Agent will try and cross sell from a luxury product if you push them on price - they will want to move you to a cheaper product to hit your budget, instead of discounting the more expensive one. Make sure they are aware that you want that particular holiday, but want to pay much less for it.

Use the promise of future deals with the TO. Ask them for a price for your holiday for 2/3 of you, and tell them about the big group trip you are planning for next season. They want to see a route to making their money back if they do a very cheap deal for you now. Most TOs if the pricing gets really aggressive will need to go to their boss, with the smaller TOs that could easily be the MD of the company. The person trying to make a deal happen will need a solid case for why they are selling their product cheap. Give them that information, even if it might be bending the truth a little.

I have an advantage in that I always have a carrot to dangle. My carrot this year was 28 people doing a group trip next season, and the travel agent works hard on my other ski trips to keep me happy because if he does and gets a good price for me, the group trip is more likely to come through him. Low margin is ok for the agent as long as they do lots of revenue and get the early bookings in. I offer him that trade-off.

The above works for me. Others will use different methods to try and get the same result. So far whenever we've let others on the trip try and get a better deal they've come 2nd by a fair distance. Something I am doing is working, and is a significant factor in why I don't DIY - going through a travel agent and TO I get a level of service and don't pay a premium for it. Recent comment from an experienced skiier that just signed up for our trip next year "the price for the chalet sounds good, but how much are the flights and transfers?" - the flights and transfers were included in the price.
snow report
Monium, you live and learn. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time. I'm still fairly new to negotiating on price, it's not a skill I've had to use in the past. The NHS paid for me to go on a course to learn how to do it last year, but I was a bit lost for a target to negotiate to as I couldn't find anything comparable on any of the clearance websites, everything half board and with flights from brum was more expensive.
snow report
Monium wrote:
Use the promise of future deals with the TO. Ask them for a price for your holiday for 2/3 of you, and tell them about the big group trip you are planning for next season.

As a seller (in a completely different industry), allusions to future work from new prospects cut absolutely no ice with me. If they want to extend the scope of the proposed deal now, fine and dandy, we'll talk. If they end up becoming a good customer in one year, we'll talk about a discount for a similar volume of business in the next year. There's only one line of argument that cuts even less ice; that Customer A is so awesomely wonderful, we'll end up getting lots of work from customers B, C and D on the back of A's reputation, so we ought to do A's work at a loss. Er ... no.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
Monium wrote:
Use the promise of future deals with the TO. Ask them for a price for your holiday for 2/3 of you, and tell them about the big group trip you are planning for next season.

As a seller (in a completely different industry), allusions to future work from new prospects cut absolutely no ice with me. If they want to extend the scope of the proposed deal now, fine and dandy, we'll talk. If they end up becoming a good customer in one year, we'll talk about a discount for a similar volume of business in the next year. There's only one line of argument that cuts even less ice; that Customer A is so awesomely wonderful, we'll end up getting lots of work from customers B, C and D on the back of A's reputation, so we ought to do A's work at a loss. Er ... no.

You are operating at a much higher level than most of the TOs and travel agents in my experience. I agree, when selling it doesn't cut any ice with me either, but it does seem to influence that last couple of percent off when closing a deal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy