Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fitting Bindings on mail order skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering buying a pair of skis mail order. The seller states that if I supply my boot size, weight, height and skiing proficiency that they will fit the bindings for free.

Is this a wise choice or should I get a local shop to fit them once they arrive? If getting them fitted locally, what would it cost?

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the seller to fit the bindings, as that is the difficult bit - for this they need to the sole length (although some do seem to work off boot size). Theoretically you should get them checked with your own boots when they arrive as a final check.

Getting a local shop to fit them will probably cost £25-£30 - assuming they are happy to do so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be careful - if they screw up the mount (off center, too far forward, too far back) then it's going to be a pain. Happens a lot, especially with fussy bugs who want very specific mounts (e.g. not at the mid point).

You'll probably be fine but I always wonder what kind of recourse you have with an online sale and remote mount.

Of course if your skis have pre drilled plates then it;s less of an issue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i got my skis mounted by Sport Conrad and they are perfect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also got mail order skis and had a suitable set of bindings. Having read up on the subject at Epic ski and Teton Gravity - source of templates for just about all bindings, it is not a difficult DIY job. As long as one can measure to 0.25mm, drill a hole to an accurate depth and use a screwdriver it is a simple if slow procedure. Also useful is Salomon's Shop Practice manual 2010/11 and other downloads at www.salomoncertification.com. It cannot be that difficult as the training can be done online!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

colinstone is correct, it isn't difficult to do, all you need is to be able to measure and use a ruler and a drill. I have done it with Salomon bindings using the template.
But it is daunting to do it to your prized skis. However, if you are careful it is quite an easy job assuming you measure, check, check again, check once again for paranoia sake then drill slowly and carefully, you'll be fine.

However, if you are the slightest bit apprehensive, pay the £20-£30 to get it done at a shop. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SCollier1, I would speak to the retailer and ask them how they are fitting the bindings for you.

As an example we use http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/ who is one of the best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SCollier1, IIRC Slush & Rubble and Ellis Brigham will no longer mount bindings on skis unless you've bought the skis from them.

Presuming that you're buying alpine bindings (not Dynafit) and you're not a fussy bug then getting the shop to mount them should be fine - they'll just set the jig to the sole length you give them.

A shop in resort will always do a free binding check for you if you ask them nicely.

Fitting bindings is (generally) not difficult - although some bindings (in my experience, Dynafit and NTN) do require you to be both precise and able to drill absolutely vertically.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Measure 5 times, drill once!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Took the plunge yesterday and mounted the bindings on Sal Lord. The most difficult part was finding the ski centreline and even the straight steel ruler I had was not perfectly straight. The second hardest part was screwing in the screws. The ski was considerably tougher than plywood I had practiced on, and took considerable pressure on the driver to keep the screws going in and not just turning and delaminating.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
colinstone wrote:
......The most difficult part was finding the ski centreline......

It's easy with the folding paper trick.

colinstone wrote:
......took considerable pressure on the driver to keep the screws going in and not just turning and delaminating.

That doesn't sound right as the Lord's aren't a tough ski. 6" no.3 pozi driver? Drill diameter? Glue in holes to lube the thread?

If the screws were that tough to install have you checked that the bindings are fully flush on to the top sheet of the ski & are not sitting slightly high on small 'erupted' peaks of top sheet around the screws which'll put a lot of stress on the screws.

Hope you also measure the mounting lines from the tips as many a ski's top sheet slips in the press.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colinstone, I hope you checked: the boot centre line, lateral alignenment, release settings, forward pressure,boot compatability,toe width adjustment, toe height adjustment, vertical and lateral elastic travel and finally a release check?

Quote:

and not just turning and delaminating

Hmmm you sure you drilled the right diameter? hope they dont tear out on that crucial gnarly turn Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the concern. The plywood I practised on was pretty soft dutch birch ply. I used correct size drill, 3.6mm, countersunked the holes to remove the little ridge - just as the sal drill has a countersink on the inner end, drop of exterior PVA wood glue in each hole and PZ3 screwdriver. Bindings are fully flush as I left a smidge of glue on the top sheet and watched it being squeezed out as the bindings made firm contact with the top sheet. Just like using plastigauge.

Boot CL is fine - both fore aft and athwartships. Likewise release settings set to 6.5 iaw Salomon table, and what I last used in Dec 10. Forward pressure is just over halfway up the gauge on the heel binding, toe width and height are automatic on the binding - iaw Salomon Shop Practice manual. Vertical and lat elastic travel checked iaw Salomon Shop Practice manual.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone, good to go then Very Happy just sounded worse than it was in reality
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, screws stayed in during day one of skiing. However, knowledge gained by fitting bindings enabled me to identify problem with another skiers rear binding. The metal plate of a Salomon rear binding had fractured across the fwd screw holes and brake screw hole and came apart mid slope, resulting in surprise fall. I was able to quickly identify the problem and fix it so that a gentle ski was possible back to a lift and return to resort and ski shop. The orginal fitting by a well known shop was shocking, even to my untrained eyes! - both fwd screws were at an angle and had not been screwed in straight. The heads at an angle had clearly dug in and distorted and weakened the metal plate.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy