Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to be in Val Thorens for whole of next season, all being well. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy This will be my second season in VT.

If anyone has questions about VT, please ask - and if you are coming to VT (or other more minor resorts in the 3Vs?!?) and would like to meet up, please let me know!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This winter, we are gonna plan a trip to three valleys. It is going to be our first time in europe for snowboarding. Dates are going to be March 11 to March 19. A full 7 days for boarding. Since we are completely brand new to the area, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hows the snow?
Which mtns should i definitely visit? We are intermediate to advanced
What should i expect from a 3 star resort?
after ski activities?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair, Do you know if the fire has finished of the Temples de Soleil and the bar and supermarket in the building?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair - I'll be down the valley in Les Menuires for the last week of Jan. Happy to meet up (especially if I get the advantage of your local knowledge!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair, back again then!

koondog, welcome to snowHeads snowHead We were in Val Thorens at the beginning of April this year.

Snow - reliable because it is v. high. Coverage in Val Thorens will be good at that time and over the rest of the 3 valleys. Shouldn't be too cold either.
Which mtns? - More a question of which valleys - don't miss out the fourth valley - Orelle which is in the opposite direction to Meribel and Courchevel is definitely worth a visit.
What should i expect from a 3 star resort? Do you mean Hotel? Prospect of fantastic food but delivered *very* slowly.
after ski activities? Extensive sports centre, skidoo rides, bars, restaurant...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, I think they're aiming to reopen the Temples in December. I don't know the status of the other businesses affected but I imagine they'll open as well.

kamikaze, Sure - I'll PM you nearer the time.

Ian Hopkinson, Yes, back again - couldn't resist it. Very Happy

koondog, Welcome snowHead to snowHeads snowHead . The snow should be pretty good across the Three Valleys in March. Which resort are you planning to stay in? If you haven't decided yet, what are you looking for - easy piste access, gourmet restaurants, late night partying, etc?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair,
HI there,
I'm planning on arriving on Val Thorens on the 14th of January - It's a fact !! Smile
I'll be arriving through geneve airport. Do you know what's the cheapest way to tranfer to Val Thorens? By bus with return is around 110€ per person!

I'm planning on staying in a studio on "centre de station" complex which include apparts in several location in center Val Thorens. Is there many supermarkets in tows? Are they expensive (eheheh you're from UK ... prices in Portugal are a lot cheaper!)

Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair, Just looked at U's picture of the fire in snowmediazone and my video taken from the Balcony of l'Oxalys last winter, That was a serious fire! It will be impressive if it is all rebuilt and open for the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
migdu, welcome snowHead to snowHeads snowHead .

I don't know about the transfers, as I drive from the UK - I believe it can be cheaper getting from Geneva to Moutiers by train but it takes quite a while and involves several changes.

There are a number of supermarkets around - a couple of 'Sherpa's, two '8 a Huit's and a few others. I believe the '8 a huit's are the cheapest, but they are all more expensive than down the mountain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats brilliant news allistair, I guess this means many more aimless poker nights in the Ski-Rock!! See you in December, Mike
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shmounal wrote:
many more aimless poker nights in the Ski-Rock!!

I wondered how I was going to pay for the trip Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair, looks like the area that we are planning on staying at the foot of Meribel.
I just checked out the trail map, and damn, it is huge!!!

wondering if i can cover it in 7 days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
koondog, if you're staying in Meribel you're well placed to explore the 3Vs; good local slopes but if the Meribel snow gets a bit soft (it can), just pop over to the Courchevel or Belleville valleys. The area is so large that you certainly won't run out of places to go in seven days. My favourite skiing in the Meribel valley is from the top of Mont Vallon - but avoid the 'Ours' piste at the bottom unless you enjoy walking. I would also agree with Ian Hopkinson that the fourth valley is worth a visit.

For some good suggestions on routes to follow in the 3Vs which will help you get a flavour of the place, visit http://www.les3vallees.com/uk/012_plan.html and click on the interactive map - you can then print out route cards with estimated timings. Try to make sure you note the lift closing times (printed on the piste map) so that you don't end up in the wrong valley at the end of the day - the taxi charge from the Belleville valley to Meribel will take the smile off your face!

Enjoy your trip!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
koondog, listen to Alastair - I was warned about the Ours run, but ignored the warning Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair, andIan Hopkinson, they repisted the Ours piste last summer and lastseason it was much better and I even managed it on a board!
snow conditions
Mouth, thanks - I might give it another go.
latest report
Alastair,
Great maps - thanks. We'll be in St Martin Mid February - how long does it take to get into Val Thorens from there? I'd like to explore the Orelle Valey. We've always stayed La Tania or Courchevel so don't know the Belville valley at all.
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, I haven't timed it. The fastest route to VT is probably (I'm sure someone will suggest an alternative) St Martin 1/2 - Gros Tougne - Granges Chair (new last year) - Alouette - Cote Brune Chair - Goitschel - Plein Sud. If you only have a Belleville lift pass, replace Alouette/Cote Brune with Allemands (a lovely run) - Petits Creux - Mont de la Chambre chair.
snow report
Originally, we were planning on going to the valleys from Mar 11 - Mar 19. However, there is a ski club that will be going there from Jan 27-Feb 4. Is there a better time to go?
ski holidays
I should be in Courchevel at 1/2 term...
ski holidays
koondog, the snow should be OK either of those weeks. The January week is likely to be quite a bit colder, but the pistes will probably quite a bit quieter. The January week you suggest is the time I normally go if I'm going for a week.
latest report
...and my plan reverts to Val Thorens at Easter...
ski holidays
koondog,

I haven't been back to the 3V for a long time so others maybe more upto date and better informed but find out where in the valley you are exepcting to stay. The Meribel valley goes from the bottom of the valley - Bride Le Bains to Mottaret which a is a higher satellite of Meribel itself.
Brides is the cheapest on the valley floor but you will need a 40 min lift just to get into Meribel itself and the skiing start from there to all intents and purposes. Mottarett is a very convenient place to stay as regards skiing. as you can go to Courcheval and bomb round there all day before heading home in the afternoon and you can do the other way to Le Menuire and VT. To get out of the valley used to take multiple lifts so you need to be aware of the time of the last lift you need to get over the top into the Meribel valley.

I don't know what you are used to as regards size but the 3V is indeed huge, even by European standards Don't try to get everywhere in a day as you will miss so much. you wil spend so much tinme getting from A to B that you miss the interesting bits in between. I would sub-divide each area and plan to do just that for a day, it will be enough IMO.
snow report
Alastair,

Thinking of going to VT in December over xmas?? What will it be like then?? Arriving 24th Dec for 7 nights. Might be flying into Lyon and staying there for couple of days then up to VT. Do you know of any sites that offer good rates on accomodation only?? Looking at other sites like iglu and ifyouski but not too sure really. Thinking of flying thompsonfly into lyon.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

rolling eyes
snow report
mobsta007, should be good over Christmas - the links to the other valleys should be open by then. It does tend to be very busy, though, so I don't know the best place for sourcing good rates on accomodation. You could try booking through the toursit office - you can book online at the Val Thorens website. Interhome often have economical self catering apartments as well.
ski holidays
Thanks Alastair, will have a look
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas (and Alastair), surely the quickest route from St Martin de Belleville to Val Thorens is by road. If you don't have your own car I bet there are lots of buses buzzing up and down the road.
Alastairs ski route is a good one as it includes a bit of the Meribel valley (that Granges Chair wasn't there in 2004, and is so new it doesn't even appear on the web pistemap). I would have done the Menuires to Val T section via the Menuires chair then Mont de la Chambre chair, but I doubt it makes any difference.
But how long do you think that whole journey by piste would take Alastair? Hour? Hour and half? Two hours?
I reckon at least hour and a half.
latest report
Jonpim, I'm note sure that 'Get a bus' is quite the answer Martin Nicholas was looking for! I don't think getting a bus will be that easy, either - there are no 'free navette' services up to VT (memories of hanging round the bus station in Les Menuires after 'last lift' come flooding back rolling eyes ).

As far as the time is concerned, I reckon an hour and a half is about right, depending on queues for the lifts coming out of St Martin. I'll try to time it before Feb.

You are, of course, right about using the Menuires and Mont de la Chambre chairs - but the Gros Tougne run to get there is so flat in places as to be decidedly tedious Shocked , IMVHO.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair, are you there yet? www.valthorens.com reports some opened pistes today!! snowHead
latest report
Ian Hopkinson, Yes, I'm here! Was out on the pistes yesterday - will start a thread in Snow Reports. Good to be back on the skis again! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy