Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing an ABS Backpack

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if anywhere in the UK services ABS backpacks?
I read recently a post (which I now don't seem able to find) of someone who had their pack checked over in ?Val D'Isere or Tignes and very thorough it sounded too. Looking on ABS website they list retailers in the UK but none seem to be what they classify as "ABS Professional Stores".
Anyone had it done in the UK and would recommend anywhere?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
betterinblack, possibly my 19 Jan 2011 post in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49074 and an update on 31 Jan.
Sorry, I have no information about anyone in the UK who might help you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian wrote:
betterinblack, possibly my 19 Jan 2011 post in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49074 and an update on 31 Jan.
Sorry, I have no information about anyone in the UK who might help you.

Thanks Adrian that's the post I was thinking of.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do I take it everyone sends these back to ABS for service?
Or doesn't get them serviced?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
betterinblack,

when do you need it servicing by?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
betterinblack, I rather suspect it is the latter. Much of the service on mine was just a good visual inspection of the whole bag, balloons, pipes, harness, ans so on. Also making sure that no mice or creepy crawlies have taken up residence within the folded balloons. They weighed the cylinder on digital kitchen scales.

Does the place you are going skiing have an ABS Professional Store? Or a nearby resort?

You could ask ABS themselves (and summarise any response here) about servicing in the UK.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski wrote:
betterinblack,

when do you need it servicing by?

In time for the Scaled Off Piste Skiing Bash departing on 12th March.

I got it second hand so I'm not to sure if I need it serviced or just to pull the friggin handle to check it works!
The cannister weight is good but it was last refilled/serviced 12/06, the trigger mech is a silver coloured cartridge which according to ABS website is out of date.

Adrian wrote:

Does the place you are going skiing have an ABS Professional Store? Or a nearby resort?

You could ask ABS themselves (and summarise any response here) about servicing in the UK.

Both good points as far I can see there's two places in Briancon that sell them but neither is listed as an ABS Professional Store (also not too sure where we're actually going to be skiing that week?)

Emailling ABS is a good idea just hoping they don't reply take it to the Saturday boy at Slush and Rubble.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
betterinblack, Ok I think its best if you give either me or snowsafe a call, have you got one of the old mono ABS bags or are there two bags?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just for reference for everyone, things are changing later this year on ABS in the UK all for the good, mind you. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Adrian - seems like a logical idea.

@betterinblack - I'd expect ABS to provide a response appropriate for a vendor selling a 500euro piece of safety equipment. I'd be _very_ interested in their response. I've had good service from other safety equipment providers (e.g. BCA Tracker), and IMHO 'ongoing support' is one of the things factored into the cost of equipment like this... and a contributory factor into the equipment selection process.
(and yes, I'm toying with purchase of either ABS or Pulse, so I've a particular interest).
waiting with baited breath,
h.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy