Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - skiing on the final day of the season (25/4?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of fitting-in a trip to Avoriaz/PdS right at the end of the season.

From memory, most of the resorts on the PdS will close on the 25th April ... probably a stupid question, but does this mean that you'll be able to ski on the 25th, or will they have closed most of the runs by this point?

I thought it would be fun (in a slushy way!) to ski the very final days of the season. But don't want to be there if most of the place is closed on my final day's skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, it being Easter Monday I'd hazard a guess they'll be open
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easter is very late this year. I have skied on the last day in the PDS before, but never as late as it will be this year. It all depends on weather conditions how long they will be able to keep it all open. At present I wouldn't bank on it all being open at this time, but things can change however. It is a fun time to ski though. Warm, long sunny days are usually the norm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
abj, it being Easter Monday I'd hazard a guess they'll be open

That's what I thought - but stranger things happen!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
garyscott20 wrote:
Warm, long sunny days are usually the norm.

My favourite type of skiing! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1st of May is the latest I've skied. And it was fine.

BUT.

I'd wait to see how the snow goes (or not) in March if I were you. A protracted warm spell at the moment would cause carnage given the relatively low base for the time of year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, I would be 99% certain that 'closing on 25th' means 'closing at close of business on the 25th' - anything else would be perverse
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You may well find that Avoriaz will be open but Morzine and/or Les Gets may be closed. The circuit will probably not be doable. But, otherwise, it's a pretty good time to visit Avoriaz. I've been there when the sleighs transition from sledge rails to pneumatic tyres, and when some runs (like Proclou) turn into trails of mud. You can be pleasantly surprised with big dumps of snow at the end of the season, so I wouldn't stay away. If you're lucky you'll be able to pop over to Chatel with fresh snow and so few other skiers you'll wonder why the lifts are still going. Spooky. Take plenty of above zero wax (and sun cream). snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chatel is due to shut on the 25th, which means the 25th will be the last day of skiing (sob). Avoriaz usually stays open one week later - I have just had a look on the Avoriaz site but can't find the closing dates...I'll keep hunting.

It is usually lovely here in April, with skiing (sometimes only ski touring) into May.

The North facing slopes of Avoriaz, Pre La Joux (Chatel) and Linga (Chatel) generally stay good until they shut.

Even on the lean season a few years ago, I was skiing in Avoriaz in May.

This season has started slowly, but it is dumping with snow at the moment, and quite a lot more is forecast over the next few days.

You can keep up to date with weather/conditions etc here:

http://www.white-peak.com/chatel-news-and-weather.php
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies.

I finally received a reply from the chaps at Avoriaz Tourist Information, and they've confirmed that there will indeed be skiing on 25th. So good news there.

I've been to Avoriaz a couple of times in mid-April, and like others have said, we've always had great (Spring) conditions. Each time we've been we've also have at least one big dump of snow too - which is always welcome
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowmonkey, I've dropped you a PM about accomodation Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skied on 1 May in 1995 - only chance I got that year with one of the kids born mid Feb!

Done the last day of the season in Chatel for the last two years - has a nice relaxed feel about it and usually some good stuff to be found. High and early is obviously usually best and some PDS areas will have closed.

Last year we managed a day in Verbier on Final Weekend and watched the last section of the Patrouille des Glaciers (ski mountaineering race from Zermatt to Verbier) - thought we were doing well keeping ahead of one of the 3 man teams down from Ruinettes until we realised they only had 5 skis between the 3 of them!. Race not on this year though.

Year before we met two guys at Plaine Dranse wearing Hawaiian shirts - both were very well refreshed - one on a wake board and one on a water ski - turn splash, turn splash all the way to Pre La Joux. Despite the sun they looked pretty chilly by the bottom. Brits of course!

As ever good advice from FlyingStantoni, check the weather before you dive in
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abj, good choice. Snowmonkey is a top man Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unless there are big dumps of snow I would not recommend. We were staying in Avoriaz last week and had fresh on 27th and 28th. Went to Morzine and Les Gets on 29th and Mt Chery was OK at top but downloading in cabine. Top of Morzine was disgusting!! Links between Morgins and Chatel broken so had to bus about between resorts. Some links that were open were on brown snow (and rocks). Watch the weather and snow reports - but it can dump in April....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy