Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

360 degree carve badge holders only...

Poster: A snowHead
After a little while trying to tackle a 360 deg. carve a finally manages one today!

I am a very happy boy and now believe that there should be a special lane in every lift que for 360 badge holders only!

I even managed to leave nice clean rail tracks too...

Anyhow - just needed to vent my pleasure... happy half-term!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
....and I thought skiers just made mundane repetitive sysmetrical S turns all day long Toofy Grin

Surely riding outrageous random lines other than S shapes is reserved for snowboards ?
You'll be sitting down in the middle of the piste next snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Congratulations, perhaps I should try that (though it might be easier with piste skis).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flangensax now it's time to try this with SG skis Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax, Pah, that's nuffink.. I've been witnessed doing a horizontal and vertical 360 simultaneously. Little Angel Can't say my skis were in contact with the snow for most of it though.. wink

Nice one - well done! Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ahhh... fanks Embarassed

I managed it on a nice shinyish pair of K2 Rictor 176cm / 16m@174cm

primoz, still looking for those 'SG' skis though!...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax,

Was it deliberate or did you just have a problem comitting to the next turn? Wink

How are the Rictors shaping up, pros / cons? Does that all terrain camber make so much difference?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd like to try a 360, whats the best way to do this

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kendub, plenty of speed and a wide, empty piste Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, love em' and yes!

The only real 'con' of them is the weight. They are a heavy ski, which in combination with my bulk can strain the chairlifts a little!

They do work for me, although I still haven't tried them in knee deep + pow... should be able to soon though with a bit of luck!

kendub, pick a safe area with a decent pitch and then a slight incline.... carve a turn... don't stop... just like that!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax, tried it a few times, but always on >90mm skis and never managed it yet!!!! I always tried it after a slope on the flat, perhaps I should get some skinnier skis and try it on a constant incline...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I've found it's easiest on the flat or on a very shallow slope and one does need quite a bit of speed to ensure the last quarter can be cleanly carved and not smeared. It's a lot easier on my slalom skis than on my mantras - can do it no problem on the former but had a couple of goes on the latter and not quite managed it yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reading this has really made me want to try... I have a horrible feeling this is going to get messy... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, mine are 80mm underfoot and stick like glue!

Sideshow_Bob, now you can have a badge and get in the special lift que too!

Schuss in Boots, the nessier the better! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
(but only if you are skiing in Scotland)
snow conditions
flangesax, fair play I am out in the Alps in about 10 days time so lets see if we can do it on 110/120 underfoot just for a laugh

Shall we open a book on this rolling eyes

My opening bid is a pair of nice all leather ski workers gloves Laughing now whats that web site called Oh yes SkiFail .com
ski holidays
Nice work Smile I've often tried but none of us have made it all the way round yet....Perhaps at least a sticker is in order if we can't manage a lift queue?
snow conditions
livetoski, there's a broad pisted area above Peisey that's about a quarter of a mile wide. Try it there.

wink
snow report
I've nearly done it a few times, but never gone all round the way round, well done flangesax. Instructors seem to be able to do it at really low speed, on any old piste - make it look soooooooooooooooo effortless. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Does a very big 360 count? as in one that involves a chairlift Toofy Grin
latest report
Will try this tomorrow!!!
snow report
pam w, we do? I'm just sat trying to work out where I can get enough speed and enough space!
snow report
pam w, not too sure about that one... just a little problem with... erm what's it called... oh yeah... physics.
snow report
OK, some instructors. the one who was most impressive, IIRC was Dave Peek - he just did them all the time, any old where. It was his standard way of stopping. Rick Schnellman does it a lot in his DVDs, too, though quite discreetly. Effortless, and no high speeds involved.
snow report
both directions?
snow conditions
nice backtrack...
Quote:

he just did them all the time, any old where. It was his standard way of stopping.

...physics pam w, ...physics...
snow report
Well of course, it takes a fair bit of skill and practice. wink They seem to have sorted the physics, probably because of so little friction on those edges. And who's backtracking? I spent a week with Dave Peek and he did it all the time. There's instructors and instructors, I suppose.
latest report
rob@rar, I know the one you mean, I fancy it over the bridge just before the St Bernard Apartment block, after a few beers on the last run home wink wink if I have a ski fail moment and end up on someones balcony at least I should get a drink for trying Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will never forget my first one sooo much fun!!! Did one in Chill factore late last year highlight of my weekend
latest report
Fattes13, Please tell me we're still talking about 360's... Shocked
snow conditions
We are talking about carving a circle back up the hill right? Not convinced that you can do that at any old speed on any pitch...
ski holidays
pam w, lol, they mean carving a turn, but instead of transitioning to turn in the other direction, you continue the turn to carve back uphill and round making a full circle. Not a flat pivot/slide 360.

Don't think anyone will be doing any in a fridge either ^^ Laughing
snow report
Laughing Laughing rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
snow report
Failed attempt here...

http://youtube.com/v/S6nhYEpTsWI

There used to be a clip on youtube showing a full one, but I can't find it now. Pretty sure the link came from a thread on here, but I'm getting on a bit now and my memory is failing me. Laughing
snow conditions
clarky999, Can be done if you wait to engage the turn on the near falt bit at the bottom of chill. Have seen plenty of them done in the fridge. Its amazing what you can do on a pair of 165 (Edidet Fat fingers typo) Sl Factory Skis when you have the right technique wink

Hill not required either for the turn that is I am sure there is a video of Ted Ligity doing them on a flat bit at the bottom of the piste at the Moscow Dual Slalom thing a few years back

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-02-11 11:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I've tried it on a slope many moons ago but fell into an anti-clockwise turn at circa 1-2 o'clock. I'm assuming the hill is required before the 360 to give you the momentum then it's easier to do on a flat section.
snow conditions
I know what a 360 carve is, thanks, and as Fattes13 says, they don't need any very special conditions, if you have the right technique.

Depends on the turn radius of your skis, obviously. I guess with 15m skis you need - well - let's see - tricky, with all that physics and me being so stupid and female and all, but I'll take a wild guess that a piste around 35 m would do the trick.
ski holidays
I saw Alain Baxter almost complete a carved 360 at Hemel. He got most of the way around in a clean carve, but the top of the "loop the loop" looked like there was a bit of steering going on to complete the turn against gravity. I've not tried a complete 360 but I guess with a pair of slalom skis (or blades Twisted Evil ) it's not going to be impossible, especially if you have a steep section followed by some flats to play with.
snow report
You must have gravity on your side to complete it without swishing your tails round or 'steering'. It can't be done properly on the flat at a low speed etc etc...
ski holidays
found that vid Fattes13, quality cam-corded off the tv...

http://youtube.com/v/6VnO0p8HM4I

Yeah... I'm sure that speed wasn't anything to do with it as it was at the end of a slalom race... also... not entirely sure that the ski was carved on the turning radius as well... lots off puff coming up when the turn is started??... but I need an expert to judge that... however... awesome show-off finish... and I recon he can have a badge if he asks nice enough!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy