Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(another) First ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,
I've had a read through a few threads but it seems it really does depend on each person as to what skis are suggested.
I've been skiing for about 8 years or so, one week a year. I've always used rental gear but am looking at getting my own skis and boots. Boots are something that I can go and have a good look at myself but I'm not really sure about the ski's.
I usually stick to the piste but do enjoy a bit of off piste and powder occasionally so I'd be looking at something that is quite good as an all-rounder. Maybe all-mountain skis? I'm by no means an expert skiier but I'm at the point where I'll give any run a go and can cope with the blacks reasonably well.
Oh and I'm 6ft and 10st.
Thanks in advance Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi tobrien1,

Welcome to snowheads!

At 10st you are definitely on the light side for someone 6ft

Before going in to specifics like which model, let's cover some basics...

If mostly on piste with the odd hop off - into crud, pow, whatever... and you are happy wih that, and see that as where you will be going forward, then you would best be suited to the 165-173cm length range with 70-80mm underfoot. More would detract from the piste performance and not be necessary with only occasional off piste skiing. (queue mid-fat+ fans to chime in now....)

The make and model that would best suit you really depend on your skiing style and where you are looking to progress.
Are you an aggressive skier or laid back?
Do you always ski very forward, always toward the back seat, mix of both subconsciously, or mix of both very consciously?
Do you like doing tight slalom turns?
Do you like doing GS turns/ carving?
Do you love and seek speed or cruise?
What do you want to be doing wih your skiing? Any thing you want to progress to specifically?

All those and more can help determine what might be best for you.
Then, with a shortlist in hand, it is best to test some out if you have the chance. Mountain preferably, freezer if need be.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at Rossignol Zenith or Alias, or the Salomon Enduro.

Latter two have early rise tips so perform well on piste and have that little extra when you stray into powder.

Next year there will be 5 Enduro models with early rise so more choice if you wait, but you'll probably get a great deal in the sales over the next few months.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tobrien1, welcome to snowHeads!

Get your own boots sorted out first - they are much more important than choosing a ski. Make sure they are properly fitted and listen to the fitter's advice - the process should take at least an hour. Once you have those, you will probably find that the same skis that you rented feel very different now that every movement of your foot goes to the ski and not the gaps in the boot Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy