Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax'd my own ski's and the bases look white

Poster: A snowHead
I have just started waxing my own ski's and after half a day skiing the bases look white or partially white. What is this? Is the wax too hard or too soft?
The bases have had 10 or so waxes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bash them together and it'll shake the snow of them Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tried that and don't need to go to Specsavers Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did you scrape the wax off?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes scraped the wax off, brass brushed, horsehair brushed and nylon brushed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Iron too hot
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's nothing wrong with skis nor with wax or procedure. It's just the way it is Wink Wax lasts on skis from 30 to 50km... maximum. If snow is more aggressive it lasts even less. So it's perfectly normal, that ptex looks dry and white after day of skiing. That's why I'm telling that properly maintained skis should be waxed after every skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never thought of that. The wax wasn't smoking. Iron set to 120'c.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
after you hot waxed them, how long did you leave them to cool and in what conditions did you leave them to cool?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I left them for approx 2-3 hours. Left them at room temprature.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz, Are you serious? 30-50Km max? Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A well waxed ski will late a weeks skiing if you use good wax Jerby, I thing you need your iron hotter about 130-135 or you are moving your iron to fast the tip ane tall top sheet should get warm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes I'm serious Schuss in Boots. Wax doesn't last for weeks as Glen Charman wrote.... even if it's "good wax". You can ski for weeks, but wax is not there where it's suppose to be after first day already. So it's just about you and this what you feel for your skis. Also suggesting temperatures around 130-135 is "a bit" weird. Sure fluoro powders are ironed around 135-145c, but for normal waxes (including high fluoro non-powder waxes), temperatures between 110 and 115c are right. 135c is way too hot for normal waxes. Besides... higher temperature won't make wax last longer, but it will surely make good stuff (mostly speaking about fluoro here) in wax to evaporate instead of go into ski (that's for example reason, why fluoro powders are ironed into the base in one single pass).
So once again... setting high temperature on iron won't help wax last longer. In fact it will make wax worse, and it increases your options to damage base. Cooling for longer time (20mins is in 99% of cases all you need), or setting skis to cool of in warm/cold environment (room temperature is just fine, but even letting them cool at -10c won't kill your ski or wax), won't change a thing. Using "good wax" won't change a thing. Let's say I know a bit about good, bad and all between waxes. Wink But even with waxes costing 100+eur for few grams, you still can't go on and on without waxing. Waxes are done to make skis faster, and that's reason why they have very limited life time. So skis just need to be waxed regularly that's it. And with regularly I mean after every skiing (including proper wax cycles after getting new skis or after getting them stone grinded).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the waxes that I use have the required iron temperature written on the packet.

I noticed my skis looking dry most days with the snow conditions we have had recently and I was waxing them every day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
None of mine has this written on box... but it might have something to do with source from where I'm getting them Laughing As I said... wax doesn't last for days, so even with regular waxing, skis will be dry on the end of day. It's normal thing, and you can't do anything against it, except to wax them again on the end of day. Ok ideally you would wax them between the day already (or have 2 or 3 pairs of skis to get you through the day), but that would be "a bit" of exaggeration already Smile
ski holidays
Did the wax have a little string sticking out of the top.

Seriously, I agree that the iron was maybe too hot. How long it lasts depends on the snow, if its really icy, not very long, nice soft snow, days. Were they white before you waxed them?
snow conditions
How old are the skis - perhaps a base grind will help absorption? Also are you hot scraping the skis or using a cleaner?
ski holidays
This is the 2nd week for the ski's. Done a hot scrap.
The bases were white before waxing too. As above, It has been icy here in places so that might explain it. Pistes were better today and after another wax last night the ski's don't look white.
snow report
Sounds like the ptex was totally "dried out". A bit of tlc (more waxing) should sort it out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy