Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles with changeable lenses OR photochromic?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'm after a new pair of goggles and I'd ideally like a pair that I can easily change the lenses on for a different tint - a bloke in Blacks showed me this was fairly straightforward with some Oakleys if a bit fiddly (O, A, Crowbar and Splice frames), and I've seen Smith I/O ones online that look like they would be easy to clip in and out, but the only other ones I can find online that actually state interchangeable are Adidas ID2 and Yodai, but having never seen any I've no diea how fiddly they are. Basically I was wondering if ALL goggles essentially have changeable lenses so they can be replaced if damaged? And if so, I suppose it comes down to how robust and durable they are, for instance I saw that although the O frame Oakleys lenses can be changed, they're much more flimsy than the other frames they have. Anyone got any experience of this?

The alternative is goggles with photochromic (light-adapting) lenses, which I've had one person in a shop recommend (but not actually having used them) and two others in shops warn against (but also not used them). My worry is that they're slow to react and overall no better than an amber/persimmon lens (which is what I've got at the moment).

ANY wisdom gladly received!
Cheers,
Will
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will,

I have a pair of Oakley A Frames with 3 different lenses - VR28 polarised (or maybe persimmon polarised cant recall) for 80% of days, blue iridium polarised for mega blue-bird days, and a yellow lens for fog. It takes 2 mins to change in lift station/ coffee or WC stop, never tried it in the open air, suggest its a bit of a faff, cold hands etc.

Try London Eyewear website and speak to Abi, great service, excellent company. My friend uses photchromic lenses in his A Frames, but has recently conceded and bought a yellow lens for fog, but seems ok with the one lens for all other lights, but again he's got the polarised - this makes a real difference in seeing the snow surface relief etc. Also suggest a hard case for your lenses when in your rucksack. Not a cheap solution but have had this for 3-4 years now and its brilliant, only time it once stuffed up was when I did a face plant in deep powder and filled my goggles with powder, decided then to buy another VR28 but no point just skied steamed up for 2 mins then they cleared!!

Hope this helps. Mark Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just bought a second lens for my A frames. The guy in the store showed me how to do it and I tried myself when I got home. Seemed pretty easy. The A frame lens seems pretty sturdy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand, They are brilliant, and its v easy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

will01
, I have the Adidas and they look fragile, but have been pretty robust. I have not been particularly gentle with them either. I have the older Adidas sunglasses with interchangeable lenses too - can't recall the name, but they convert from sunglass, to google, and have both regular and flat light lenses. Lenses are fine - all I've ever wanted. Flat light lens is very good. Changing lenses a bit fiddly, especially with sunglass type - need to do this where you can recover a dropped lens; i.e. not on chairlift etc. When skiing hard I have had some fogging problems (with both), but this may be just me - lack of fitness leading to lots of sweating etc.

I've given up on photochromic, had several pairs for both skiing and dirt bike. Reaction time was fine with all, but when they went dark, they never went dark enough, and when light they weren't light enough. Last pair I had was ProGrip I think. This said, Other Half has photochromics in her regular glasses (prescription glasses) which she wears on slope, and sometimes under goggles. These are brilliant - very reactive and they seem to settle on an appropriate level of darkness. Lenses are bausch and lomb, but coating may be from different manufacturer.

I have some older Oakly goggles which have had loads of abuse - can't break 'em. Tough as anything. Lenses nice too. Least fogging of all my googles. Elastic in the strap has become a bit weak, but I could replace that easily.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I carry two pairs of goggles, one for good light, one for bad. One of the pairs has a spare lens - but it stays back at base as spare; the last thing I want to do is change it on the hill.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No problem changing lens in my Zeal Dominators!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
will01, I/o are so simple to swop , can be done on a short chair lift ride Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got Smith I/O goggles in the end, and you're right Neilski, they're easy to change the lenses on. the only down side is that the lenses are right at the front of the frame so can get scratched easily if you're clumsy, eg, goggles raised up on helmet, sat on bus holding skis infront of me, getting bumped around, the edges of my skis scratched the lens on the very first day I wore them! now I know to be more careful...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coming late to this but beware photocromatic and extreme cold. I have a set of photo cromatic cycling classes (Rudy Project) which is use for Nordic skiing. Below about -15C they just go straight to the darkest setting and stays there. Not ideal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy