Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Puzzled Snowhead in Canada Seeks Assistance.....What Time is it??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a text from Bergmeister earlier this pm. He and Mrs BM are on day 3 of a Canadian road trip - as follows:

Day 1 (Saturday gone) - landed Calgary, Alberta and drove to Golden, BC.
Day 2 (Sun) - Skied Kicking Horse (great snow, great day) then drove to Revelstoke, BC.
Day 3 (Today) - Early breakfast and drove to Revelstoke Mountain......to find they have (somewhere, somehow, apparently....)...entered a different time zone!! They've arrived at 07.30 an hour before the lifts open Shocked !! Brilliant eh?!

Can anybody advise where the mysterious time zone starts? A search of Google maps (by me) hasn't helped - I have found 2 different versions:

Version 1: Shows the time zone border as the Alberta/BC border - But if that were the case they would surely have noticed by now? (.....Or maybe not Embarassed !).
Version 2: Small scale map shows a wiggle in the time zone (but map shows no detail of locations/towns), projecting westwards from Alberta into BC. Maybe they are encompassed by the wiggle?

PS:
Day 4: Revelstoke
Days 5 & 6: Catskiing near Sicamous.
Day 7: Kicking Horse
Day 8: Canada Olympic Park then home
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Version 1: Shows the time zone border as the Alberta/BC border - But if that were the case they would surely have noticed by now? (.....Or maybe not !).

No, not if they didn't know ahead of time the 2 provinces are on different time zone. When you drive across from one province to another, you get reminded you crossed by a "Welcome to xxx". But it didn't say "turn your clock forward, you're in a different time zone"! Shocked

I don't know if the time zone are the same as the province border though. Still, it's not an uncommon problem in US or Canada to end up being an hour early or an hour late for something when you're at the edge of a time zone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am sure it's between LL and Golden on the highway.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Time zone to PST changes at Roger's Pass on Hwy1 and between Creston and Salmo/Ymir on Highway 3 (& middle of Kootenay Lake). Hence Fernie, Golden, Pano, Kimberley on MST, Revy, WH20, Red, & the Okanagan resorts on PST.

Simples.

PS Why would anyone ski COP when you could be not far up the road at Nakiska and skiing a proper ski hill?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the 2 provinces are on different time zone
The point is it would seem that they are not - we were there a couple of years ago and didn't alter our watches between Calgary and Golden - or last year between Calgary and Fernie . This is seemingly evidenced by scotia and fatbob above - the time change is somewhere once you get into BC, but after Golden.

As for why they are skiing COP, I just knew somebody would respond to that! It's because we've advised them that it's by far Canada's biggest and best ski resort - with powder guaranteed! Toofy Grin But really......
a. Their flight time is early Sat pm - and by the time they get there (possibly driving from Golden) they may only have an hour's skiing.
b. They (like us) just love skiing and apply the philosophy 'Any snow, any hill, anywhere!' So it's another ski area ticked off the list and means they can ski on departure day. And anyway, they've already been to Nakiska wink (with us - we all loved it!).
c. We've told them what a great little set up it is.

Cheers to all for the replies!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know Kicking Horse operates on Mountain Time, so I always change my watch after passing Golden.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As per fatbob - The time zone changes between Golden and Revelstoke on highway one - there is a fairly discrete sign but easy to miss if it is dark and snowing (which is not uncommon on Rogers Pass).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As the others say the timezone change is between Golden adn Revelstoke.

I don't know what the history for the time change line is, but its not always marked accurately on maps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy