Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitter in Les Arc ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have the option to get new boots from , Cem@solution4feet, Profeet or in resort.
If i can find a decent boot fitter in resort I hear that's the best option, as you can get tweaks throughout the holiday.

I noticed JoJo at Nevada Sports Bourg was recommended but that was back in 2006 ! Is he still there ?
Thanks, Neil

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=250175&highlight=les+arc#250175
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neilcharlton wrote:
I noticed JoJo at Nevada Sports Bourg was recommended but that was back in 2006 ! Is he still there ?
No,that shop is now closed. Revolver (next to the SuperU) in Bourg has a good reputation, but if you're based in Les Arcs for your holiday it's not going to be convenient to get down to Bourg to tweak boots unless you have a car and energy to do make the trip down in the evening. Finding a good bootfitter is more important than location IME.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
neilcharlton, Totally, you got it nailed, i'll try and get the contact details of your man in Les Arcs. Blush
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm off to Les Arcs in a month's time, and I got my boots from CEM, and tested/refined with sessions at Hemel. I preferred to spend the time over here getting it fitting with someone who really knows their stuff, rather than use up a sizeable part of my holiday with boots that almost certainly won't be instantly perfect, and seeing someone who almost certainly won't be as good!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

and seeing someone who almost certainly won't be as good!

do you know who he's going to see? Now you've had bread, you should try this new thing, called cake. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We call it "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome" Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you have a recommendation for a bootfitter in Les Arcs who is better than my usual bootfitters...?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaKid wrote:
I'm off to Les Arcs in a month's time, and I got my boots from CEM, and tested/refined with sessions at Hemel. I preferred to spend the time over here getting it fitting with someone who really knows their stuff, rather than use up a sizeable part of my holiday with boots that almost certainly won't be instantly perfect, and seeing someone who almost certainly won't be as good!

Having done the buy in resort option previously, I'm firmly in the buy at home camp now and do exactly as you've done. Why waste time and be uncomfortable on holiday, get all that out of the way before you go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had my new boots (Atomic Tracker 130) fitted by CEM. Used them once or twice in a fridge and just come back from a week in the 3v's. Despite some worries during the initial couple of hours, by the end of day 1 the boots were fantastic. Comfortable doesn't come close to how good they feel on. Performance is also excellent and a couple of times I made some pretty basic weighting,edging errors that I certainly wouldn't have recovered from in my old boots. By the end of day 2 I put the additional cuff pieces in (not sure what the technical name is). Despite on occassions feeling a little soft (certainly softer than a 130, but Colin did tell me they would feel softer and the snow was hard and icy) the foot/boot/ski interface is markedly improved over my last pair and I'd quite happily have slept in them they were that comfortable. I almost looked forward to putting them on each morning.

+1 from me for CEM and a UK fitting session. At least if you get them fitted here, if there are issues you can go back and get them worked on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
While I do not doubt CEM's reputation is well founded, evidenced by the very many recommendations on here I am going to relay MrHL's experience just for balance.

MrHL went to CEM in 2009 because of recommendations here and was fitted with Atomic M Tech 100 boots in mondo 26.0 (he is a UK size 9). We went to Italy for a week and right from the outset MrHL was in severe pain. He persevered all week but spent a lot of time having to keep stopping and taking off the boots, some days after every run. At one point he was in tears and was close to it on other occasions. Our skiing really was impacted by this - he was totally Mr Grumpy, as you can imagine, and we were slowed down considerably by his having to keep stopping. The end result, not surprisingly, was 2 black big toe nails which did drop off and too months to grow back out.

He was all for giving up but I persuaded him to go back to CEM to have them tweaked, which he did. Cue the next week away, also in Italy. The boots were a bit better but still hurting far more than he considered to be acceptable and they showed no sign of bedding down but at least he didn't lose his toe nails this time; once again he was Mr Grumpy and by the Thursday he gave up and hired boots.

He has bought new boots at our local place, skied at Hemel the other week just fine after the first hour or so and he is looking forward to them being comfortable in a couple of weeks time when we go to Canada.

OK, they are probably "too big" but you know, I'd rather ski with Mr Happy wink

edit: to correct mondo size

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 25-02-11 19:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Millions of People go through resorts each year, a reputable, pragmatic bootfitter will learn quickly by sheer numbers alone. Thus FOOTfall alone sure ensure someone with an eye for detail and a conscientious approach should gain a hell of alot experience than someone based townside. Now all we need to do is get all these guys in resorts to let us know who they are and point you in their direction. It's simple learning curves, people go to university to learn alot about stuff, not the supermarket.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:

MrHL went to CEM in 2009 because of recommendations here and was fitted with Atomic M Tech 100 boots in mondo 28.0 (he is a UK size 9).

A 28.0 really? I'm a UK 9/9.5 and I'm in an Atomic 26.5. Sure that's a Gnat's Cock fit, but the 27.0 felt too big.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, Wasn't it a resort based fitter, that eventually got them right for you? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can see pros and cons .......

Resorts don't really have to rely on repeat business (people tend to ski different resorts) plus you don't know if the guy/gal is a proper boot fitter or he was selling tennis rackets or sports bras on another floor last week. Having said that if you find one who's been in the business a while and really knows his stuff then he's likely to have fitted many more boots than someone working away from the slopes.

Some people need a few trips to sort ski boots out. Sometimes the resort doesn't sort out the problem in time either and it's left for the UK based guy or next resort to pick up on.

I don't believe there's a single boot fitter in this world who can sort out every foot in a couple of visits. Some people and their feet are just blöödy awkward Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, Comfort is easy, precision isn't, like your first decent steak, there will be better, if only you'd try a different resturant, but it will never be, even if better, like that first glorious moment. I'm not saying 'ever' that boots don't get fitted well town side, but never as precise as will be tackled by a good (or even semi amateur like our good selves.) bootfitter in resort. It's all about environment and repetition. Simple. Blush
latest report
I refer to this post:
We call it "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome"
Cool
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

MrHL went to CEM in 2009 because of recommendations here and was fitted with Atomic M Tech 100 boots in mondo 28.0 (he is a UK size 9).

A 28.0 really? I'm a UK 9/9.5 and I'm in an Atomic 26.5. Sure that's a Gnat's Cock fit, but the 27.0 felt too big.

yes really; just checked them the other week before flogging them on ebay.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Spyderman, Wasn't it a resort based fitter, that eventually got them right for you? Toofy Grin

They were never really right, turned out to be faulty. CEM tried loads of stuff in UK went to Tignes skiing with him, still having problems so took me to use LARGEZOOKEEPER's Tignes workshop, ended up with some foam liners, comfort and fit was good, but the shells were faulty, HEAD replaced them foc, but the replacements didn't fit, so CEM sorted me a set of Atomic with zip-fits in UK. Best boots I've ever had. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-02-11 18:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Spyderman, Weird, did they then replace them with a different model? Puzzled
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Yes, I had the very first, pre main production Raptors, the overlap was too short so they leaked like a sieve.

The replacements although allegedly the same model, were to me dramatically different in their fit. HEAD were really good about organising the replacement, but they were never going to work for me. I swapped them with CEM for a pair of Atomics instead.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx,

Did you try the boots in a fridge before going on the ski holiday?
ski holidays
DB, No,I didnt personally try my husbands boots in a fridge. I can't remember whether he did or not - probably not so one could say that it was always on the cards that week 1 wasn't going to go well!

I got my boots fitted at Lockwoods under supervision from CEM & Smallzookeeper; tried them in the fridge, bit tight but no tears and they have been brill, no tweaks needed at all
latest report
The skills of environment. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so are you saying that it is impossible for a bootfitter to gain enough experience "townside" to be able to fit boots with a precision, performance fit? And is this just a poke at CEM or are you including all bootfitters in the UK? Apologies for the direct question, but I'm having trouble peering past your prose.
ski holidays
rob@rar, No, just suggesting a similar person in different circumstances may yelid better results. The UK isn't the only place where practicing bootfitters wish to become known. Far from it, given the circumstances I would suggest a bootfitter in resort, given the footfall and the right attitude will be better placed to get the job done right than someone townside. Circumstances must, nature of the beast. This clearly doesn't account for everything, but head to head, I know where my money would be spent. It's simple, a big fish in a small pond, is not the same. Do you think a special bootfitter would benefit from time abroad, working with the best skiers available, or just hanging out with local heros??? I've seen the difference, both in my approach and that of others. Resort works, end off, I didn't come here to eat dried meat and cheese.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, OK, I agree that lots of experience will usually make someone better at their job, especially if they take a bit of pride in doing it well and can use that experience to do the best job they can. But I was beginning to think you believed that it was impossible to become a competent bootfitter without being based in resort. I have 'problem feet' so have spent more than my fair share of time in the bootfitter's chair, and I've been equally happy with my last two bootfitters' service (one of which was resort based and one in the UK). I'm not sure that location can guarantee anything: a couple of neighbours in Les Arcs haven't had good service from fitters in the local Intersport outlets, despite having lots of opportunity to revisit and get things right (which won't always be the case unless you revisit that resort).
snow conditions
Think of it like this, the same guy, John working in resort, John without, you chose, same guy, different experience. Both as open and as objective.
ski holidays
Can open, waiting for the worms. Until then, listen to us, we decide. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that's a false dichotomy. I want a bootfitter who can do a satisfactory job. It really doesn't matter if he is the best bootfitter in the world. It doesn't matter if he is revered amongst his fellow bootfitters. All I need is someone who will be able to put me in the right boots and accommodate my problem feet. And I want that guaranteed. As I said, my neighbours experience in Les Arcs suggests that a resort location does not guarantee that level of competence. In my experience I can guarantee that level of competence if I go to a recommended bootfitter, and two of the guys I've been entirely happy with (CEM and Hamish) are UK based. Now they might well be a bit better at their jobs if they were resort based (although I remain to be convinced that's the case), but if they can do a perfectly good job based from their current locations (which are much more convenient for me than a resort base) I really can't see what the problem is. So I get back to my original point: Finding a good bootfitter is more important than location.
snow conditions
Finding a good bootfitter is easier in a good location, that's my point. Find a good one outside resort is less likely than in resort. Times have changed. That's all. Refresh the browser. But always find a good one, I agree.
snow conditions
Environment has alot to say. Charlie Darwin told me. Praise the lord!!!
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I agree* with that, but I'm simply saying it's not impossible to find a good one outside resort (as well as a resort based bootfitter is not guaranteed to be good). So, can you recommend a good one in Les Arcs as I often get asked and at the moment there's nobody I can recommend?

Edit: I agree with the location point, not the Charlie Darwin business. Although I agree with him as well.
latest report
I understand, Arsen Wenger never played football. That said i'm critical enough of myself to see the work of others as 'lazy' at best. I welcome a challenge. So ready for this!!!!!!!!!!! NehNeh
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, sorry, that last post departed without leaving much meaning for me. But I'd love a Les Arcs recommendation...
ski holidays
rob@rar, Les Arcs rocks, as if there's not a person that doesn't know his polyether from his polyester. Time to get with the program.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm trying to get with the programme, all I need is a recommendation of someone good that I can pass on to people who ask. I'm sure there are bootfitters there who can do a decent job. Can you help...?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
MrHL went to CEM in 2009 because of recommendations here and was fitted with Atomic M Tech 100 boots in mondo 28.0 (he is a UK size 9). We went to Italy for a week and right from the outset MrHL was in severe pain. He persevered all week but spent a lot of time having to keep stopping and taking off the boots, some days after every run. At one point he was in tears and was close to it on other occasions. Our skiing really was impacted by this - he was totally Mr Grumpy, as you can imagine, and we were slowed down considerably by his having to keep stopping. The end result, not surprisingly, was 2 black big toe nails which did drop off and too months to grow back out.

He was all for giving up but I persuaded him to go back to CEM to have them tweaked, which he did. Cue the next week away, also in Italy. The boots were a bit better but still hurting far more than he considered to be acceptable and they showed no sign of bedding down but at least he didn't lose his toe nails this time; once again he was Mr Grumpy and by the Thursday he gave up and hired boots.

He has bought new boots at our local place, skied at Hemel the other week just fine after the first hour or so and he is looking forward to them being comfortable in a couple of weeks time when we go to Canada.

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, and if that's the case then I apologise, but surely if he'd spent just an hour at Hemel with the first boots that caused severe pain from the outset, then he could have gone back to CEM to have those adjusted? I'm fairly sure Colin told me, when I first spoke to him, that getting them right in-shop was almost impossible, and that it would be necessary to try them to really get it right?

I just wonder therefore, whether the fault lies not with the bootfitter on this occurrence, but with the fact that you were unable to try out the boots before you went, for whatever reason that may have been?
snow report
DaKid, I'm not disagreeing, just reporting what happened - I am not my husband's keeper. He wore them round the house for a bit, but that's no substitute for skiing in them. You could say that week 1 was the "trying them out" phase!

MrHL went back to CEM in between trips but the tweaks Colin did were not sufficient to make the boot comfortable and MrHL was reluctant to make another 200 mile round trip so Colin could have a 3rd go, having already made 2 so he abandoned and went local. The report is simply to show that you can go to the most highly recommended bootfitter but if he isn't near you then it's a bit od a PITA to get tweaks.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
DaKid, I'm not disagreeing, just reporting what happened - I am not my husband's keeper. He wore them round the house for a bit, but that's no substitute for skiing in them. You could say that week 1 was the "trying them out" phase!

MrHL went back to CEM in between trips but the tweaks Colin did were not sufficient to make the boot comfortable and MrHL was reluctant to make another 200 mile round trip so Colin could have a 3rd go, having already made 2 so he abandoned and went local. The report is simply to show that you can go to the most highly recommended bootfitter but if he isn't near you then it's a bit od a PITA to get tweaks.

That makes sense. If you have a 200-mile round trip to a bootfitter, then I admit going three times, without even a guarantee that the third will fix it could be a bit OTT!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
The report is simply to show that you can go to the most highly recommended bootfitter but if he isn't near you then it's a bit od a PITA to get tweaks.
That's definitely worth factoring in to your decision on where to get your boots fitted. My current boots have needed four trips to CEM to get comfortable (initial fitting and alignment; general stretching to give more width x 2; and a final session to relieve two pressure points). I'm in the fortunate position of skiing often, either indoors or in resort, so I didn't feel the need to rush the boot adjustments and get them done in one hit. I'd rather take my time and make smaller adjustments, and spend a bit of time to understand how the boot feels before knowing if it needs another tweak. If you have anything other than "normal" feet you should factor in a repeat visit to your fitter to ensure the boots work for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy