Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

organizing my first skiing trip and i need your help pls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

im working on organizing a skiing trip for 2 days.. this will be my first time to visit the UK and i found Glenshee is a good spot for skiing... i have few questions and concerns:
- i never skied before will 2 days be enough? im assuming i'll learn the first day and get to enjoy the second!
- how do i get to Glenshee ski center, whats the nearest train station? will there be buses to take me to the place?
- accomodation.. how can i find out a decent cottage that is close to the ski center?
- can you recommend a ski resort that offers accomodation?
- what sort of budget am i expected to spend?
- im also open to replace Glenshee to other options in the UK if you would recommend.

cheers,
Angie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where are you travelling from?

Are you just comming to the UK for 2 days or visiting elsewhere?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im coming from Dubai, i'll be in the UK for about 10 days.. i'll mostly be in London and Manchester
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Because you have not skied before you may be better getting a few lessons at ski-dubai before visiting

Also, when is your trip?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i won't be able to do ski-dubai.. im flying out on friday 25th feb to london and im trying to work around going to Glenshee either by 3rd March night or 4th early morning.. the thing is i have a friend who's going to join me and he's available from 3rd march evening till 5th march night.. i fly back to dubai 13th march
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kaangie, you can't be sure the snow and weather conditions will be suitable for skiing in Scotland until a bit nearer the time - so that's a problem, given that your timing is quite inflexible.

There are some snowheads who know a lot about skiing in Scotland, and who teach skiing there. I expect they'd advise that it takes much more than one day (or two days) to learn to ski, although there is some very good instruction available in Scotland. Can your friend ski already, or are you both beginners? Do you have suitable clothing? (Obviously you can hire skis and ski boots at the resorts).

From what little I know about skiing in Scotland (I've only been to Cairngorm) Glenshee might not be the most suitable place for beginners. The Lecht might be better - but snow (and road) conditions all round will be unpredictable.

Most people, especially when time is very limited, will use cars rather than public transport, and usually stay in hotels or bed and breakfast, rather than cottages. Generally the accommodation is not very near the slopes.

To make sure you get responses from people who know that area well, I'd suggest you re-title your thread to make it clear you are thinking of a trip to Scotland.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
kaangie, you can't be sure the snow and weather conditions will be suitable for skiing in Scotland until a bit nearer the time - so that's a problem, given that your timing is quite inflexible.

If the weather is not going to be good you are better off learning at a snowdome (either in dubai or manchester) and just do some sightseeing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If weather in scotland isn't great then it's easy from london or manchester to fly to Geneva (switzerland) and go to some of the swiss/french resort from there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kaangie
The first important point about Scottish skiing is that none of the five ski areas have accommodation at the ski slopes. So, if you will not have use of a car, the best plan would be travel by train to Aviemore (for skiing at Cairngorm) or to Fort William (for skiing at Nevis Range).

Both towns have lots of reasonably priced bed and breakfast accommodation, or more expensive hotels; both have a decent choice of places to eat and drink on an evening; and both (most importantly) have buses to and from the ski areas. Aviemore is about 10 miles (14km) from the slopes and Fort William about 7 miles (10km).

The second key point has already been mentioned by pam w ie
Quote:

You can't be sure the snow and weather conditions will be suitable for skiing in Scotland
Sadly, that's a fact. There is usually snow between November and May but the wind is completely unpredictable - with the possibility of hurricane force winds closing all of the lifts. On the other hand, Scottish skiing can often be fantastic, with lovely conditions.

On balance, planning a Scottish ski trip anything more than a few days in advance can be a bit of a lottery
with the weather. Can you wait until you are in the UK then check the forecast? The following is an excellent Scotland information site, including weather, snow conditions and details of ski areas:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

Good luck with it if you decide to go for it Smile. And post a trip report to let us know how you get on!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't want to be negative but:

I think you underestimate the time it takes to learn to ski. You will not learn on the first day and enjoy the second (probably). It will almost certainly take you several days with half days of lessons before you're going anywhere really. You'll spend the first 1-3/4/5 days on the same three hundred yard stretch of mountain.

And when it's raining, and you're falling over regularly into the wet snow you'll wish you'd gone to the snowdrome.

Alternatively, you'll hit Scotland with the most amazing weather, you'll take to skiing like a duck to water and will be going down reds by the end of the second day. You might.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy