Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski choice doing my head in!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice folks.

I'm 5' 10" (178 ish) and 13 stone ( 82.5 Kg)
I have about 10 weeks skiing experience and I'd say I'm level 5 to 6 (though more 5!) ability.
I spend 80%of the time on piste chasing my kids and the rest in the soft stuff of the side Smile I've done a little "proper" off-piste and loved it.

So, I'm after a new pair of skis and getting more and more confused. I spent close to a week last year on some Dynastar Sultan 80s and really liked them. For my ability and experience (I'm an "improver") should I go for the 80's or the 85's - and I would like to do more off piste?

Then someone through the Atomic Nomad Blackeye's in to the mix. These get rave reviews though I've not tried them. Any comparisons or thoughts on how they line up?

Lastly, length. The 80's were 165s, though I felt like I needed a little more float in the soft stuff. So the alternative on the legend is a 172, or a 167 / 174 on the blackeye. Where should I be heading?

I'd rather pick up a pair in the UK but we're off to Are in Sweden in a couple of weeks. Any bargains people have spotted on either side of the North Sea?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, the difference between 80 and 85 is pretty minimal, the main difference between the two would be flex and shape so focus on them. Hey if you liked the 80's then get 'em! Go for a longer ski if you want to focus on getting better, 172 is still not too much (its only 7cm more after all wink )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheapest Sultans I found when looking around recently was here: http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Dynastar_LEGEND_SULTAN_80_Skis_With_Bindings_172cm_2011-%2826603%29.aspx

That said, they are with the Look bindings, for Griffons they are decent price here: http://www.lockwoods.com/dynastar--legend-sultan-80--marker-griffon/prod_3064.html

I tested out the 85s to see how they'd get on with icy conditions, and quite simply they didn't. If you are looking for 80% piste then I'd go for the 80s, if you are dabbling off piste they will cope ok with good technique. For a serious powder day I'd just go and rent some proper boats for floating through it, otherwise you'll start losing a lot of piste performance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crell, I own the Blackeye TI's and I hired the Mythic Riders a couple of years ago (I think they are more or less the same as the Sultan). Whilst I would like to do more off piste, the reality is that at best I end up skiing 6 inches of fresh. Taking this into account I would recomend the Blackeye; not quite as good in a bit of fresh (but still great fun), but LOADS better on piste, moguls etc.

On piste and in crud the Blackeye's rock.

Steve
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
just went from head c260i to rossi bandit 83's and to be honest was less than confident in them. however a couple of days at glenshee is helping.
like anything it takes time to get to grips even if the change on paper is small.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
85's definitely, mainy for the extra stiffness (still easy to ski though). I did notice a lot of difference in float between them and the old Legend 8000's, I'd guess there's less of a difference with the Sultan 80's.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crell wrote:
Looking for some advice folks.

I'm 5' 10" (178 ish) and 13 stone ( 82.5 Kg)
I have about 10 weeks skiing experience and I'd say I'm level 5 to 6 (though more 5!) ability.
I spend 80%of the time on piste chasing my kids and the rest in the soft stuff of the side Smile I've done a little "proper" off-piste and loved it.

So, I'm after a new pair of skis and getting more and more confused. I spent close to a week last year on some Dynastar Sultan 80s and really liked them. For my ability and experience (I'm an "improver") should I go for the 80's or the 85's - and I would like to do more off piste?

Then someone through the Atomic Nomad Blackeye's in to the mix. These get rave reviews though I've not tried them. Any comparisons or thoughts on how they line up?

Lastly, length. The 80's were 165s, though I felt like I needed a little more float in the soft stuff. So the alternative on the legend is a 172, or a 167 / 174 on the blackeye. Where should I be heading?

I'm of similar experience to you and when I bought my skis, similar level. Similar preferences, too.

I was dead set on a pair of Sultans (having loved a rental pair of Legend 4800s) but three different ski techs pointed me to the Nomad Blackeye Ti's; two of the shops in question had the Sultans in stock.

I bought them and love them, see my review here: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74137.

Length wise - I'm a little taller than you but a little lighter, and mine are 174s.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies.

I did some (more) thinking about this and decided to rent...only then to nab a pair of blackeye Tis and XTO 12s for £375. I went for the 167s in the end, and looking forward to trying them out next week Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy