Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on day of arrival

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to Passo Tonale next month arriving at Verona at 9.35am is it possible after transfer, booking into hotel and getting hire skis to get an hour or so skiing in or am I being unrealistic?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably not if you are on a package as the lift pass will be valid from the day after you arrive. If not on a package, its up to you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Probably not if you are on a package as the lift pass will be valid from the day after you arrive.

Puzzled even if you've bought a lift pass as part of a package there's nothing to stop you buying one for a couple of hours on the day you arrive, if you get there in time. It all depends on how long the transfer takes - the kind of package is irrelevant, really.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied on the first afternoon when I went to Passo Tonale. Flight landed around 10ish, in resort by 1, quick lunch and out for an hour or so. There are two free lifts so you don't need to buy a lift pass if you just want to practice on those to start with.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think some of the online and possibly bricks and mortar ski hire shops throw in an extra day ski boot hire when you hire for six days
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maddie240, even if you don't get on the slopes until 3pm, you'll still get a couple of hours, probably for less £££'s than a couple of hours in a UK snowdome ... well worth it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maddie240, go for it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In some places if you buy a 6 days ski pass, you can often use it from 3 o'clock the day before it officialy starts. Done it recently in Schladming so worth asking.
I also skied many times on the departure day. (one transfer we had was 1 o'clock, one 3 0'clock, plenty of time)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always try to get an extra half day in either at the start or end of a week's holiday depending on transfer times. If you haven't already booked your ski pass with the tour operator then decline the offer to have them get your pass and get a 7 day pass yourself when you get there - in my experience it is always cheaper than buying a 6 day pass and an extra half day pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gp hire some skis - if the rep says no just ignore them. Get a half day pass. Go skiing. Simplsk Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When transfers allow, I ski on the arrival day or the departure day. The slopes are quiet & you get the chance to use the most popular lifts (usually the big cablecars to major summits) without having to wait.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depending on the area, some places will let you ski from a certain time the day before your lift pass actually starts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maddie240, wear your boots & salopettes on the flight, get someone else to take your bags to the room, half days skiing no probs
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we have done afternoon skiing many times on the day of arrival, but as smithski says its worth it for just a couple of hours, we make sure we have our kit on quickly, have a sandwich on the coach up there and get stright off to lift picking a pass up on the way....great way to start a ski holiday, some lift passes are cheaper after 3pm !!! otherwise its a day pass
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to snowHeads ichristie, snowHead
snow report
Quote:

some lift passes are cheaper after 3pm !!! otherwise it' a day pass
Surely you mean a half-day ticket Puzzled
ski holidays
Don't do what I did and arrive at your accommodation and leave your skis by the front door to pick up on your way to the slopes only to find that they have been loaded on a bus back to Salzburg airport. After lots of phone calls the skis were returned at 8pm so a half days skiing was missed.
snow report
Wardster00, Oh dear Laughing Laughing
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
There are two free lifts so you don't need to buy a lift pass if you just want to practice on those to start with.

Sounds excellent. I'm still teaching myself to telemark and will probably benefit from a short session on the nursery slopes!

Can you describe which the free lifts are so I can locate them on the piste map?
snow conditions
Half day pass ...some places only do full day, some do half and some do a small fee after 3pm, depends where you are going,
latest report
ap96, there was a small free button lift which I can't find on the current piste map, but the chair lift 'Scoiattolo' was also free when I went in 2006. Things might have changed in 5 years. Best to check with your rep.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
ap96, there was a small free button lift which I can't find on the current piste map, but the chair lift 'Scoiattolo' was also free when I went in 2006. Things might have changed in 5 years. Best to check with your rep.

Thanks for that, I will check up on it. I'm sure I'll find out by trial and error anyway (I don't speak Italian!)
latest report
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Maddie240, wear your boots & salopettes on the flight, get someone else to take your bags to the room, half days skiing no probs

I could see myself actually doing this Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 5-05-11 12:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
We had a sneaky couple of hours when we arrived in Courchevel on the 13th. Plane arrived at 12.30. Private transfer to hotel by 2.05pm, picked up ski's for all 4 on the piste for 3pm which made a nice gentle introduction to the week.

We have 3v's POS cards so just added a couple of hours onto the cards via t'internet on route to resort when we new we'd get the time.
snow conditions
A half day on the slopes when I arrive is my normal first day - unless I travel overnight by train (like last week) when it is a full day. I also try to book the latest flights out I can find so I ski a full day the final Saturday - or, again, an overnight train. I sometimes go out on the Friday if I can find a hotel which will play ball -in which case I ski 8 1/2 days.
What time does your transfer arrive in resort? It should be easy to get on the snow an hour afterwards - unless you have a lot of equipment to hire. Just go and buy your own lift ticket: if you wait for the tour company to do it you will waste the afternoon (but let them know what you are doing).
snow report
Actually, looking on their website ( passotonale.it ) I cannot see a half day pass mentioned - see http://cms.passotonale.it/images/download/prezzi_skipass.pdf after the piste map half way down. This would be unusual in my experience but buying your own pass with an extra day rather than doing it through the company would be worth it (only €13 extra for the extra day.
ski holidays
Never managed this, we've always arrived in resort after the lifts shut. Wouldn't mind going overnight on the train and skiing the next day, but my brother in law did it a few years ago and struggled mightily due to a total lack of sleep - apparently it's just a normal train with seats, no couchettes etc?

For the first time ever, we managed to ski on the day we left this year - last Saturday in Whistler. Had to be down by 1pm, but we got a few good runs in before the hordes descended for the President's Day long weekend.

That meant we'd skied for 27 days out of 28. We're rock 'ard, we are Very Happy
latest report
I'd never sit up all night on an overnight train - you'd be shattered the next day. Couchettes every time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maddie240, you can get special passes in Passo Tonale (as with many places in Italy) which give you a number of "points". Each lift you use will deduct a number of points (e.g. beginner draglift 1 point, big chairlift 3 points) then when you have no points left, you can't get on any more lifts.

These are great if you only have a couple of hours as you just pick an appropriate number of points for the amount of ski-time you have. You can even (legitimately) share a pass between 2 or more people as you just go through the points quicker.

All the lifts should have signs telling you how many points they're worth ("valore impiante").
latest report
Thanks for all the replies they have really helped, just can't wait til we go 14 sleeps as my granddaughter would say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy