Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early ski and breakfast offer, Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
just received this by email

Quote:
Méribel VIP Early Morning Ski

Ski the pistes before opening time and be the first to put down tracks on freshly-groomed snow. Then enjoy a gourmet breakfast at the summit of Tougnète amongst spectacular scenery and a 360° panoramic view of the Alps - guaranteed to be the most exceptional coffee of your life!

Every Tuesday from 22 February to 29 March

Book at Méribel Alpina liftpass offices : Price €18
Offer restricted to holders of a six-day (or longer) 3 Vallées pass or 3 Vallées Liberté pass
Limited number of places
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As in a big fat boy fry up?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They did a very similar deal in Tremblant when I was there in 2000/1. It was fun (but cold) Very Happy Skullie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freddie Paellahead, Yeah, cold fry ups are rubbish.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are doing this in Tignes too. You get the funicular up to Grande Motte and ride Double M back. Then it's breakfast in VC and all for 15 Euros. it happens every Weds and you can buy tickets at VC lift pass office.

We got given free tickets but cried off because it was cloudy and this made it very dark in the early January morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bar shaker wrote:
We got given free tickets but cried off because it was cloudy and this made it very dark in the early January morning.

Obviously only worth doing when condition is favorable.

On a powder day, the first track privilage would be priceless! (might ski through the breakfast part though)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

On a powder day, the first track privilage would be priceless! (might ski through the breakfast part though)

I thought that, too. I wonder if other resorts will follow suit?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They have done it at Whistler for years - called Freshtracks. Very handy to get another hour in on our last day before the bus at lunchtime back to the airport.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thursdays in Les Arcs.
Either to top of Transarc or Arpette. Hoping to give it a go with our Resort Manager (only time of the day he can get to ski...) in 12 days time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:

Not priceless actually, just 18 Euros.

I've seen this concept before & I hope the idea doesn't spread too far or daily because we already pay around 35 Euros for a day's lift pass and currently, we all have the option of getting out of bed early to get in the front of the queue for first lifts. If it ended up deliberately targetting cash rich corduroy or powder hunters it would just smack of a gimmick to milk a few more quid from those with more money to burn than me. I know that view won't get much sympathy from many in our good ol' go-get-it world but I do have a point, don't I ? Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not a matter of lacking sympathy. It's just your wish of it not spreading is rather short lived. It's already quite a common place in N.A for mountains to offer early lift privilege for an extra on top of the day pass.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think the cost is an issue at 15 or 18 euros. Numbers are limited and it's more likely that the elitism will go to those that take the time out to buy a ticket, rather than those are richer than you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker wrote:
I don't think the cost is an issue at 15 or 18 euros. Numbers are limited and it's more likely that the elitism will go to those that take the time out to buy a ticket, rather than those are richer than you.

When I ski in Euroland, I always get up early and will always arrive 10 or 15 minutes earlier than the lifts open so as to get first tracks. Numbers are limited to those that can be bothered. It costs me no extra. In your world, the first tracks go to those who pay an extra 100 Euros per week and just royally wave their tickets at the pleb on the barrier.

That's not elitism ? It doesn't favour those richer than me ?

I don't understand. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think moffatross does have a point. It limits "first tracks" to those who are prepared to pay extra - if it was generalised it would mean no "ordinary punter" had much of a chance; just being energetic and being out of bed early wouldn't be enough. However, I think the chance of its catching on enough to be a regular nuisance is slim.

In our area, except at holiday times, you can get "fresh tracks" for an hour or more every morning anyway, the place is so quiet out of season. My son and his cousin spent the entire day a couple of years ago, after an epic snow fall, boarding on one steep drag between two reds and a black which had not been pisted. They found fresh lines all day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the fresh tracks thing at whistler doesn't get you access to the whole mountain - mostly blue runs below the tree line; in merrible you get a head start on one lift. in fact blasting will probably still be going on after a decent dump so i wouldn't think you'd miss out on too much at all
ski holidays
Quote:

in merrible you get a head start on one lift.

well it had better be a damn good breakfast then!
snow conditions
well, maybe they have more than one lift running but i wouldn't bet on it. it's not like the whole of the meribel valley will be shredded as a result of these people
snow conditions
Exactly, although this has been marketed in the US for many years now, it's subscription is relatively low. In fact, it's catered more to the season pass holder who have limited time but have a bit of extra cash.

A couple of my friends fall into that catagory. They're working stiff like most here. So they only got time to ski...on weekends, when the lifts are crowded. Since they've already paid for their season pass, they don't mind occasionally pay extra to ski that extra hour when condition is good and the mountain is empty!

As for the rest of the vacationing tourists, since the fresh track offer is limited to a very small number, it's as if it didn't exist. You might come across a few tracks but that could have been the ski patrol for all you know.
ski holidays
abc, I wouldn't like to see it happening in Scotland where most of us have to ram our skiing into the weekends too ... a few folk sleep in cars & vans to get the earlies & miss the morning traffic, not the monied types but just the ones who love the sport.

Despite my half a rant above (sorry bar shaker wink ), in all honesty, I've no particular problem with this occasionally being offered in a few holiday resorts. If it became pervasive & regular though, I think you'd end up with lift pass options being two tier & you'd actually put a lot of real enthusiasts off visiting.
snow report
pam w wrote:
just received this by email

Quote:
Méribel VIP Early Morning Ski

Ski the pistes before opening time and be the first to put down tracks on freshly-groomed snow. Then enjoy a gourmet breakfast at the summit of Tougnète amongst spectacular scenery and a 360° panoramic view of the Alps - guaranteed to be the most exceptional coffee of your life!

Every Tuesday from 22 February to 29 March

Book at Méribel Alpina liftpass offices : Price €18
Offer restricted to holders of a six-day (or longer) 3 Vallées pass or 3 Vallées Liberté pass
Limited number of places

Do you only get one run? or can you have as many as you like before brekki?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy